Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Eflite 46 questions???

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 05:43 PM
knotnuts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Eflite 46 questions???

I'm building a Gator Flea(40 sized Compensator) and have chosen to go electric.. I've got an Eflite 46 for power. I've read some posts that have made me a little nervous..LOL I would appreciate any one who has used this motor for their comments concerning the power of this motor. I've read that they produce a lot and even compared them to 60's. What have been your experences? Also battery suggestions for 8 minute flights would be appreciated. Your thoughts would be a help.. Having built this airplane back in the 80's, I used an OS 45 FSR for power and loved it.. It would Knife edge loop and was a very good flyin' bird, I would hope that I've chosen the right power plant?
Old 01-10-2008, 12:52 PM
DeadStick Dave

Default RE: Eflite 46 questions???

I powered a Sig Sundancer 50 with an E-Flite Power 46 and it has plenty of power. I recommend using an AirBoss 80 ESC and an APC e-13x10 prop. This will eliminate any need for a Medusa or seperate power for the flight controls. I use a Hyperion 5s 3700mah battery in it and get 6 to 8 minutes flight time at about half throttle.

I started with a Phoenix 60 amp ESC and Medusa power control. It cut out at high power and I eliminated the Medusa and went with a seperate power for the control system. The Motor drew about 75 amps and I backed off the end point of the transmitter to a 55 amp draw. It still has plenty of power. I will eventually replace the 60 amp ESC with an AirBoss 80 ESC and up my flight amps to full power.

Good luck with your project. Any questions you have can be answered by Ben Fisher at 3D Hobby Shop--He's my expert. 830/990-6978 or e-mail at [email protected] or www.3DHobbyShop.com
Old 01-11-2008, 11:12 AM
knotnuts

Thanks, Dave and Ben... again! I'm flyin' the 47" Extra and love it!!! as usual 3-D Hobbies comes thru... I'll get my batteries and esc from him when the time comes. I've got the fuselage about done with the mods for electric. Making it a tail dragger and using Hytek Hs 85 bb servos and mounting them in the wing. I really love the Airboss power package that Ben recommended for the Extra.... Do you think that HS85's have enough torque ( about 40+ in. oz.) for this application? My orignal Gator Flea was a real honker! I beleive that the new one will come out at about 5 lbs. so it should honk as well!
Old 03-17-2008, 06:53 PM
mred33

DeadStick Dave

"I started with a Phoenix 60 amp ESC and Medusa power control. It cut out at high power and I eliminated the Medusa and went with a seperate power for the control system. The Motor drew about 75 amps and I backed off the end point of the transmitter to a 55 amp draw. It still has plenty of power. I will eventually replace the 60 amp ESC with an AirBoss 80 ESC and up my flight amps to full power."

That is NOT a good thing to do. Every time you ESC turns the power on, it hits the motor will 100% power no mater what you do with the throttle stick or endpoints. Cutting the ESC back to 55 watts as read on a power meter is only an average, not the total power going to the motor. You are going to burn up the ESC like that and maybe burn up the plane if it shorts out. If you don't want to believe me, go to CC's web site and read up on it. They explane it very good, but NEVER do that. If you are drawing 75 amps, you need at least an 80 amp ESC Take care.
Ed