Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Motor & Battery Selection

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2008, 12:31 AM
twoturnspin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor & Battery Selection

I’m looking to kit out my Integral and have two major decisions to make – motor and pack selection.

Motors. I have narrowed the search to two motors, the Plettenberg 30-10 EVO with a Schultz Fut32.80ka or a Hacker c50 14XL Comp with a Jeti Spin99. I think both are good options with a number of excellent fliers using both setups but I can’t seem to find a good reason to choose one above the other. The cost is about the same ~ AUD$1,200 so that isn’t a factor. I would really value the thoughts of those who have used these motors and what they think about them.

Packs. The choice for me seems to come down to two packs that are available locally: Flightpower EVO F3A 5350’s 17C or Hyperion LCX5350’s 16C, I understand that both packs use the same cells so their performance should be similar. I have experience with both brands up to 6S in a TRex 600 and they have both been great. My preference is for the Hyperion packs because I can get them for ~AUD$500 compared to the FP’s which are ~AUD$630. My concern with this is that I have heard of many people with excellent experiences with the FP packs but haven’t read of anyone using the Hyperion packs in a 2m model. Would be great to hear from someone who has used the Hyperion packs.

Any and all thoughts about these two issues would be appreciated.
Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 AM
swlarcham
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Motor & Battery Selection

twoturnspin
I have been using the Plett 30-10 Evo witih the FP F3A5350 packs. So naturally my vote is for that combo. Awesome power. turning anything from a 20X15 in the wind to a 21X13 and a 22X12 all with great success. I'm doing it in an inexpensive ARF but I love the braking in the Schulze Fut 32.80-KA ESC programing.
Eddie
Old 01-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Ricardo M.

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I´m useing a Hacker C50 13XL Competition in my Genesis F3A. The motor is great, lots of power. I think that you will be fine with your choice no matter wich one you choose. The difference is that the Plett. is an outrunner with virtually no maintenance. The Hacker is an inrunner with gearbox. Every 50 flights you have to re grease the gear box, not a big deal but you have to do it. In the battery section I can´t help you because I´m useing Thunder Power ProLite 5S 5300 mHa 13C (X2). Props 20x15 and 21x14.
Old 01-22-2008, 11:06 AM
PeHI

I am using both the Plettenberg EVO 30-10 and the hacker XL 50-14 L in a Oxalys from ZN-Line. My experience is that the Plettenberg is using a little more amps at full throttle than the Hacker, the EVO I have 90 amps and the Hacker 75 amp. With the EVO i have a bit more flying speed than with the Hacker. Both have enough power, but i thing that the batteries better like the Hacker... The Shulze regulator is very easy to adjust the breaking in down maneuvers, and i think that is works a little better than the break in the Jeti/Hacker regulator. I have used the Hyperion VX5000 cells with both 20 C and 25 C and there is a lot of power in those batteries and i have had no problems with them.
The Plettenberg EVo is easy to mount and has no maintance were the Hacker is a little more difficult to mount and you have to change the grease in the gear box, but that is easily done.
Old 01-24-2008, 07:08 PM
twoturnspin

Thanks for the responses, great to hear from people around with world with experience like this. I have decided to go with the Hacker Motor and have ordered it along with a Spin99 controller. Clearly both motors can do the job, I chose the Hacker because of the lower current draw which will be kinder on the batteries albeit that I will need to do maintenance on the gear box every 50 flights (still heaps less maintenance than a combustion powered motor!).

From the comments of PeHI, my personal experience with other Hyperion batteries and comments from other friends I will go with the Hyperion packs. I will however wait until the plane is finished before buying them because the prices seem to drop from time to time and battery technology is improving.

Again, thanks for the responses.
Old 07-12-2008, 12:01 PM
Enrique-F3A

Hello Peer,

Regarding noise level , have you taken any readings of both, the outrunner and the inrunner ?

Regards
Enrique