Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Sebart Wind 110

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 03:02 PM
tommy s
My Feedback: (55)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Sebart Wind 110

From what I can tell looking at the assembly instructions the airplane was designed around the Hacker motor
and would require some surgery to the nose to make anything else fit, so I guess I'll be using Hacker.

tommy s
Old 10-28-2008, 12:03 PM
tommy s

The Wind 110 arrived today and I can confirm any motor other than the Hacker will require
some major changes to the nose of the airplane so I will be using the recommended Hacker
outrunner. I know everyone likes their airplanes when they are new and sing their praises ,
but I've built and owned some nice airplanes and try not to get too excited with a new one
until I've seen how it flies, but I have to say this one is one of the sweetest ARFs I've ever seen.
The workmanship and covering is flawless. I am really impressed with the covering, it's Oracover
and it's perfect, looks really good. This is one I'm anxious to get in the air. The only thing that
could make it better is if it was a full 2 meters.

tommy s
Old 10-28-2008, 12:06 PM
Barye
My Feedback: (27)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Sebart SharkE is just as well built. I have had mine for 2 weeks and it flies great.
Old 11-08-2008, 12:35 PM
mikehannah

Hi Tommy
Have you got your Wind 110 in the air yet and if so how does it fly?

Mike
Old 11-08-2008, 12:56 PM
tommy s

I haven't started on it yet, Ive been finishing another project. I ordered the
Hacker motor for it so as soon as the motor arrives I'll get going, looks like
an easy assembly.

tommy s
Old 04-12-2009, 02:22 PM
Kato

I have flown my Wind S 110 now for appox 30 flights. Flies perfect. Angel S50 is good but this one is just better.

However I am having problems with the Hacker A50-16L mounted in my Wind S. Two motors has failed already. First one with something that sounded like bearing failure. Was replaced under warranty. Second one failed after 25 fights today. Started with a hard now-and-then knocks. Shortly after in same flight the sound increased and at the same time I lost power completly. Sounded like a magnet came loose. ESC is Jeti Spin 77 Opto.

Anyone else with experience on this motor?

best regards
Kato
Old 04-17-2009, 09:00 PM
UltraBob

Kato,

Is the brake turned off on the jeti 77? I had the exact same symptoms using this esc with an e-flite power 110. I thought I had the brake disabled but discovered it was still programmed on. Once I disabled it the problems went away. I apologize for asking such a basic question but this sounded very familiar.

Bob
Old 04-17-2009, 09:03 PM
UltraBob

Kato,

Is the brake turned off on the jeti 77? I had the exact same symptoms using this esc with an e-flite power 110. I thought I had the brake disabled but discovered it was still programmed on. Once I disabled it the problems went away. I apologize for asking such a basic question but this sounded very familiar.

Bob
Old 05-01-2009, 08:17 AM
JanneL

Does anybody have Wind with glow power? YS110? Could it be converted to glow, there is not a conversion kit in Sebart's interet site...?

Janne
Old 05-01-2009, 12:01 PM
tommy s

I'm sure it could be done without too much effort but the airframe is extremely
light and it may not hold up to the YS shaking and vibration.

tommy s
Old 05-15-2009, 07:45 AM
tommy s

After delays from working and the weather I finally did the maiden and two additional
flights on my Wind 110 and it's as good as I hoped. It's probably the easiest airplane to
fly that I've ever owned, very smooth. After three flights I still haven't touched a trim lever,
it flew straight and level right off the building board. The only adjustments I made was to dial
in some more aileron travel and some differential. I am very, very pleased with this airplane.
I plan on flying it in the pattern contest in Crowley LA this weekend so, we'll see.

tommy s
Old 05-19-2009, 02:02 AM
hezik

I put around 30 flights on mine now (in 5 days) and I love it. It flies better than any plane I have flown before, including the 2m pattern ship I used to fly with.

Mine did need some up trim, possibly because I don't fly 'zero gravity'. No aileron differential is needed on mine, it rolls very axial without straying from course. Basically it does everything well.

I'm using the standard setup, so a Hacker A50-16L/MasterBasic Opto 90, with Zippy 8s1p 5000mAh 25C lipo's. Servo setup: 4x Futaba S9650 (aileron/elevator) and Futaba BLS 451 rudder.

The 18x12 APC prop is too big a load. Full throttle it pulls about 80 amps and with an outside temperature of 17 degrees celcius the engine is about 40~45 degrees after flight. Probably that's also the reason the engine of someone else in this thread continues to break down, when flown in higher outside temperatures, the engine will overheat if you fly full throttle too much.

Hacker sais: 70A max for 15 seconds. Besides the load on the engine, one has to really watch ones throttle management with an 18x12, one will easily fly to fast, which is a shame since this plane will allow you to fly it very slow.

Mine tips the scale at 4kg, +/- 10 grams.

If anyone is hesitating to buy this plane, stop hesitating and buy it. It flies as good as it looks.

Old 05-19-2009, 02:05 AM
hezik

What I forgot to mention.. I don't think the specified CG is correct. Sebart specifies 18cm from the leading edge. I tried that but it does make the plane drop it's nose easily. I have it set at around 19cm now, which seems to be exactly right. Also it's easy to build nose-heavy, I have to put my rather heavy lipo (5000mAh) in the most aft position to get the CG right, and I already built in my receiver (Futaba 35Mhz PCM synt) in the backside of the fuselage, as seen on the pictures in the manual.
Old 05-19-2009, 07:23 AM
mikehannah

HI
Has everyone stuck with the Kit method of holding the canopy/hatch with screws or are people using an alternative method if so what?
It did occur to me that having to unscrew and screw a couple of wood screws four times a season would get real old real fast and wouldn't hold up to constant use.

Mike
Old 05-19-2009, 07:32 AM
hezik

I have and it's not ideal but working fine. Keen in mind that those are not wood screws, but bolts that screw into blind nuts. It'll hold as long as the plane itself.
Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM
Ed Lyerly

Mike,

You might try a canopy latch like I added to my Inspire 90.

See pictures here on post #76 (page 6) ........ scroll down to picture 6 and 7.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...ght=Inspire+90

Fairly easy to do, quick release, and has never come loose in flight.

Ed

Old 05-19-2009, 06:18 PM
mikehannah

Hi
The flight reports are very encouraging for how well the Wind S Pro will fly when/if it arrives on the scene.

Seb is playing it very close to the chest on this one,

Mike
Old 05-19-2009, 09:56 PM
1bwana1

I helped build and Maiden a Wind 110 last week. I have to say, I was very impressed. This one also flew perfect right off the bench, only two clicks of up elevator. It is by far the best flying ARF pattern plane I have ever flown, and I have flown a lot of the sub 2 meter planes. Flying quality is a 10, build quality is also a 10. I think whenever they become available here in the U.S. they will sell out immediately. I wish they would do a full 2 meter version so I could have one as a backup to my Passport. For Power, we used a Scorpion Motor running 8S 4500 MAH Hyperion 30C batteries, and a Castle Creations ESC. With this configuration the plane weighs 8.5 LBS. We started with a 16 X 10 APC, and it was OK pulling 1500 WATTS. Changed to a 16 X 12 APC prop and the plane came alive with the increase in pitch and speed.

I amsometimes asked by people at the field what would be a good, affordable plane to get started in pattern. My new answer will be the Wind 110, none of the others are even close in my opinion.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:42 AM
mikehannah

1bwana1
A full 2 metre version is in the pipeline. There is a photo shop of it on Sebs website. Sup[posedly it is being released sometime this year.

Mike
Old 05-20-2009, 05:04 AM
hezik

The 2m version has been 'in the pipeline' for a long time now, but it's not a vapour release. It's listed in the lindinger webshop (with unknown price) so it's most likely not going to be an Oxai version, but a Sebart version, which is very positive.

If the 2m version comes out, big chance that sooner or later I will buy it as well. The 1m80 version flies sooo good...

Then again.. the 2m version will be more expensive and will most likely need 10s packs and stronger servo's. The 110 is real good 'value-for-money'.
Old 05-20-2009, 04:21 PM
mikehannah

Hi
I am sufficiently encouraged by the description of how the Wind 110 flies to hold off any further toy purchases until the Wind S Pro is out. Although I would be very very tempted by a 110 version of the Miss Wind biplane. That plane is gorgeous.

Mike
Old 05-20-2009, 04:24 PM
mikehannah

Hi
Out of curiosity can anyone tell me if the two canopy hold donw bolts, bolt through the plastic of the canopy hatch or does it bolt through the wood section.
Just curious as the plastic the canopy for the Anglel is made of is very brittle and I dont think it would stand up to much abuse.

Mike
Old 05-20-2009, 09:40 PM
1bwana1

The canopy bolts go into metal blind nuts that are embedded in the wood frame.  They should not cause any problems.  Still if I had this plane, I would install a spring latch instead of the bolts.  Too much trouble to change batteries.

Like Mike, I will probably order the 2 meter when it becomes available.  I already have the right batteries, and a Neu Motor/ Castle Creations power package on the shelf just waiting for the right plane.

Old 05-25-2009, 03:11 PM
hezik

Regarding the HAcker A50-16L and problems with it, I think I found the problem.

First of, my engine is working fine but it was making strange sounds when spinning up or when changing from powering to braking.

I'm dutch so I dont know the terminology in English, but I'll try to explain the problem.

The rotor is locked to the hub with a small steel pin. The fitting of this pin isn't too tight, which means the rotor can move in respect to the hub. This makes the motor makes the nasty noises.

I can't really explane it, but luckily, I've got a movie explaining what the problem is. Here you can see it clearly:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onzZA5Z-EnQ

I fixed this by glueing the whole together using UHU endfest 300.
Old 05-25-2009, 08:31 PM
tommy s

1bwana1,

I'm curious as to what Scorpion motor was in the Wind you flew and what changes were
necessary to make it fit. I've always liked Scorpion motors.

tommy s

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.