Crazy question MAYBE !!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:42 AM
mikehannah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy question MAYBE !!!!

Hi
I have a hypothetical question to pose.

Lets say I had been flying 110 sized electric aerobatics for a year using 8s 5000 mAH packs and I decided to step up to a full 2M ship which requires 10 s packs.

What is stopping me from just buying some 2s 5000 MAH packs to put in series with my existing 8S packs to make them up to 10s. ???

The only down side I can see is that the battery will be slightly bulkier. Slightly heavier, I would get a very slightl lncrease in losses from going through an extra set of plugs. and the pack might discharge slightly unevenly as the 2S cells would be newer and therefore may have a lower internal resistance. .

Other than I see no reason why it shouldnt work. Or am I missing something?

Mike
Old 07-02-2009, 11:49 AM
joenella

Default RE: Crazy question MAYBE !!!!

Mike Mike !!

Use the new AXI 5325 motor it is intended for 8S in full pattern ships have a look at Lorentz and one from the Spanish F3A WC team uses this motor !!

http://www.f3alorenz.homepage.t-onli...o-elexant.html

joen
Old 07-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Silent-AV8R

Nothing. I regularly use a 6S+4S to make 10S for my Abbra. The motor and ESC do not care how you get the voltage.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:26 PM
mikehannah

so just to be certain here,
If i connect a 4s +4s +2s to make up a 10S i should have no problems as long as i stick to the same type and capacity of cells?

Old 07-02-2009, 03:07 PM
Silent-AV8R

That is correct. Although I would prefer to use only 2 packs just to limit the number of connections and wires. I use the same brand, capacity and "C" rating. No worries. If you know how your physical layout will be you can make the wires as short as possible as well. I use 5.5 mm bullets on all my bigger packs so it is very easy to do this. 3 packs using dean's is a bit tougher, but you can still do it.

MPI makes a harness:

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-21.html#Harness
Old 07-02-2009, 03:50 PM
Buka

as far as i know if you combine used cells and new cells. the new ones life is shortened severely. well at least to the number of cycles which the used cells have left.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:18 PM
Silent-AV8R

ORIGINAL: Buka

as far as i know if you combine used cells and new cells. the new ones life is shortened severely. well at least to the number of cycles which the used cells have left.

Good point which I did not comment on. It is best to use cells and packs with similar histories of use. So if you slap a brand new 2S pack into series wirth your older 4S packs, it will work and not cause any problems, but you may see the life of the packs affected.

But if you are in a pinch for set ups this is a good way to go.