Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Hacker A50-16L Question

Old 08-15-2009, 06:38 PM
mikehannah

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hacker A50-16L Question

Hi
I have just fitted a brand new Hacker A50-16L to my Wind 110 and once i had the prop fitted I tried turning the motor over. To my surprise it felt quite tight and it took considerable force ( more than I would like ) to turn the motor over. In comparision to the Hacker in my Angel S which turns pretty freely in fact when I flick the prop I can easily get it to rotate a full 360 degrees without putting too much effort into it. The Hacker in the Wind by comparision will only rotate maybe 45 to 90 degrees with the same effort. I have checked its fit to the airframe and done this test wth and without the rear support bearing with the same results.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal? The last thing I want to do is toast my motor and take out my brand new ESC while I am at it.

Mike
Old 08-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Walt Thyng
My Feedback: (9)

Default RE: Hacker A50-16L Question

Can't offer any suggestions, but my Hacker B50 16 spins quite freely - no resistance or drag at all. One thought, if you're using a collett type prop adapter make sure it isn't rubbing on the case.

I'll be watching to see what you find out. o far I'm very pleased with my ex-heli motor.
Walt
Old 08-15-2009, 08:12 PM
mikehannah

Hi Walt
First thing I checked. But you have answered one question. There is something wrong.

Mike
Old 08-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Walt Thyng

Sorry.
WT
Old 08-16-2009, 02:09 PM
joenella

ORIGINAL: mikehannah

Hi
I have just fitted a brand new Hacker A50-16L to my Wind 110 and once i had the prop fitted I tried turning the motor over. To my surprise it felt quite tight and it took considerable force ( more than I would like ) to turn the motor over. In comparision to the Hacker in my Angel S which turns pretty freely in fact when I flick the prop I can easily get it to rotate a full 360 degrees without putting too much effort into it. The Hacker in the Wind by comparision will only rotate maybe 45 to 90 degrees with the same effort. I have checked its fit to the airframe and done this test wth and without the rear support bearing with the same results.
Can anyone tell me if this is normal? The last thing I want to do is toast my motor and take out my brand new ESC while I am at it.

Mike
Your ESC connected? if not it might be two of the wire shortcircuit and it will act like a brake [sm=72_72.gif]
Old 08-16-2009, 04:50 PM
mikehannah

Hi
Interesting idea but i dont think that was is the problem. I have pulled the motor and just turning it in my hand it seems alot freer and smoother. I think it is rubbing on something. Maybe a trapped cable.

I am going to refit it and see how it goes.

Mike
Old 08-16-2009, 07:18 PM
woodie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Hacker still using the C clip with shims behind it to make sure you can't tighten the prop down and slide the prop hub back against the motor? If you lost that, then the prop hub might rub against the front of the motor when the prop is tightened. Don't ask me how I know that....

Woodie
Old 08-17-2009, 07:42 PM
Walt Thyng

Wait a minute! Did I miss something? If your motor was connected to a battery and the wire configuration was wrong you might feel resistance.

In fact you can use this to check out the number of poles on a motor. It usually does not cause enough resistance to creae worry though.
\Walt