CA Models VISA

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 02:47 PM
shannah
My Feedback: (5)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: CA Models VISA

Hi Kevin,

The fan backplate is actually the spinner backplate. You can see a picture of it on one of the earlier posts. The "spokes" of the backplate are actually machined to act as a fan blade and help to pull air through the openings in the spinner and onto the motor. I would think that would really help Outrunner cooling.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Passport1
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: elan120

ORIGINAL: Passport1

I found that the ducts on top did nothing. The holes that are in the nose combined with the holes in the spinner and the fan backplate are plenty. Wings and stabs are being finished this weekend and I will post the complete airplane monday or tues. This is the stck scheme with the exception of the pink being changed to Pearl red.

Chip

Hi Chip,

Great looking plane and color scheme.

Two quick questions regarding the cooling...will the configuration above work well with outrunner motors also, since they don't have the fan backplate? Will the slotted spinner be a standard CA product?

Thank you,
Kevin
Kevin

The outrunners will use the fan backplate spinner as well. This spinner comes standard with every Visa sold Kit, ARC, ARF sold.

Yes the spinner is now a standard CA product.

Chip
Old 02-05-2010, 03:48 PM
elan120
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: elan120

I found that the ducts on top did nothing. The holes that are in the nose combined with the holes in the spinner and the fan backplate are plenty. Wings and stabs are being finished this weekend and I will post the complete airplane monday or tues. This is the stck scheme with the exception of the pink being changed to Pearl red.

Chip

Hi Chip,

Great looking plane and color scheme.

Two quick questions regarding the cooling...will the configuration above work well with outrunner motors also, since they don't have the fan backplate? Will the slotted spinner be a standard CA product?

Thank you,
Kevin
Kevin

The outrunners will use the fan backplate spinner as well. This spinner comes standard with every Visa sold Kit, ARC, ARF sold.

Yes the spinner is now a standard CA product.

Chip

Hi Chip, Steve,

Thanks for the information regarding the spinner...very clever idea. Can't wait to get one soon.

Kevin
Old 02-05-2010, 03:56 PM
mklein25

Chip -

That plane looks gorgeous!!!! I was wondering what the scheme was going to be for this one. Once again, you guys out did yourselves.

Mike
Old 02-05-2010, 04:26 PM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

Wow! That looks great! Can't wait to see it all together.
Old 02-05-2010, 04:27 PM
mups53
My Feedback: (41)

Wow!!!!!
Old 02-05-2010, 04:41 PM
SByrd
My Feedback: (4)

That looks awesome Chip cant wait to fly it. Lol

Stephen
Old 02-05-2010, 05:12 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: SByrd

That looks awesome Chip cant wait to fly it. Lol

Stephen
If you have your passport WITH THE ORIGINAL landing gear mounts in it when we meet up this year its all yours lol

C
Old 02-05-2010, 05:29 PM
toddblose
My Feedback: (10)

Sounds like a challenge Stephen
Old 02-05-2010, 05:56 PM
SByrd
My Feedback: (4)

lol well we will have to wait and see but i hope so. I really like the colors and the scheme. Wish it were mine.

Stephen
Old 02-06-2010, 12:42 AM
OUHOZER
My Feedback: (11)

Hi Chip,
That's a totally different looking plane cradle than
the one's that I have. The one's I have are made
out of white sarofoam that makes a noise that's
almost as bad as finger nails on chalk board!!!
Where did You find Your's?
By the way the plane ain't too bad ether.
Hoss.
Old 02-06-2010, 07:07 AM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: OUHOZER

Hi Chip,
That's a totally different looking plane cradle than
the one's that I have. The one's I have are made
out of white sarofoam that makes a noise that's
almost as bad as finger nails on chalk board!!!
Where did You find Your's?
By the way the plane ain't too bad ether.
Hoss.
LOL The cradles are just a couple that made here in the shop last week, (1 for laying on the side, 1 for sitting upright) because I was tired of the ones that didn´t fit the new fuse´s. It still squeaks a little but not like they use to.

Chip
Old 02-06-2010, 10:00 PM
nedim

ORIGINAL: shannah

Hi Kevin,

The fan backplate is actually the spinner backplate. You can see a picture of it on one of the earlier posts. The ''spokes'' of the backplate are actually machined to act as a fan blade and help to pull air through the openings in the spinner and onto the motor. I would think that would really help Outrunner cooling.

Believe me this backplate idea does not work. We tried it a couple years ago and it didn't work at all.
I used to work for a major military electronics company for about 12 years as a design engineer and assistant mechanical manufacturing manager. We had a product (a proximity fuse) that generated power with a fan in a spinner like cone. So, we got the idea from this. Yes, it works with mach speed but certainly not with sub sonic at the lower end.
Sorry to disapoint you guys

Nedim
Old 02-06-2010, 10:21 PM
shannah

Hi Nedim
what was your overall cooling scheme? Were you not getting any airflow through the spiiner at all? How big were your openings in the spinner?

Chip was getting enough airflow to keep things cool and there wasn't much air coming from any place else. So he might not have been getting a lot of forced airflow from his spinner arrangement but the entire setup seemed to be working OK
Old 02-06-2010, 10:53 PM
nedim

i will shoot some close-ups and post asap. i'm in the sutuation to get ready to move in a week. I'm sure you will see the answers to your question in my pics, but it might take some time. Simply, it was a Great planes spinner and we cut the nose about 3/4 -7/8 of an inch and machined the webs at the aluminum backplate like fan blade,s we also tried to cut some slots on a TT spinner and bend to give them an impeller shape as well.

Nedim
Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 AM
nedim

Shannah,

Here is the pictures.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig12818.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	1373472   Click image for larger version

Name:	Aw70538.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	1373473  
Old 02-07-2010, 02:16 AM
shannah

Nedim,

That is interesting. That looks similar to the open spinner that you see on the Pletty's which have the motor mounted in the spinner. They seem to cool OK. I wonder why your config didn't work? It would seem to have good air flow through the spinner. Maybe you had too much air flow, not enough exhaust, and ended up with positive pressure build up around the motor??? It seems odd that this wouldn't work for you. You'd think you would get at least the same airflow as a couple holes in the cheek cowls. I assume this was used with a rear mounted outrunner so there wasn't any obstruction between the motor and backplate.

I know that when I removed the spinner from my outrunner and left the standard backplate on I had dramatically lower temps. It would seem that if you put a spinner on like the one you show then you'd get an improvement, just not as good as having no spinner at all. You should have been getting some airflow through the spinner irregardless of the fan backplate.

We took a lot of temperature measurements of Chip's setup. The prototype was using the spinner that had the openings, the fan backplate similar to your pictures and no openings on the chin. The setup was working OK. I think he has added the chin openings and enlarged the exhausts even more so I would expect it would be improved over his prototype that we were measuring.

So, I guess I don't know what to make of your experiences. Your spinner mod looks pretty good, and on the surface you'd figure it would give a benefit for sure. If you added that to your standard cooling scheme then you'd expect to see some sort of improvement.

I'll play around with this spinner setup on my Passport when I get one of them.
Old 02-07-2010, 12:06 PM
Tall Paul

There must be an exit for the airflow behind the spinner... typically 1.5 times the area of the inlet hole, otherwise the air will just go around the spinner.
The helmet cowls on control line speed models use this principle to get cooling past the cylinder fins.
On the electrics, the already existing holes in the fuselage for battery cooling probably do the job.
Old 02-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Passport1

ORIGINAL: nedim

Believe me this backplate idea does not work. We tried it a couple years ago and it didn't work at all.
I used to work for a major military electronics company for about 12 years as a design engineer and assistant mechanical manufacturing manager. We had a product (a proximity fuse) that generated power with a fan in a spinner like cone. So, we got the idea from this. Yes, it works with mach speed but certainly not with sub sonic at the lower end.
Sorry to disapoint you guys

Nedim
I was replying to this earlier and then hit a key that may or may not of deleted my reply. First of all I would like to say everyone has an opinoun that is the beauty of the internet. Secondly, you have not dissappointed anyone. I would hope most of you know me well enough by now to know that I am not going to design an airplane with any unique charecteristics without first trying it to make sure it does work.

I am not sure where your efforts came up short but I am certain this system does provide plenty of cooling and is better then just having the nose cut off a spinner or windows added to a existing cone. If you run the backplate alone at our operating RPM it does move quite a bit of air. Add an open cone (or a cone with windows in it) and then move it forward at 100 mph it will pull air through the spinner and exhaust it over your motor.

Sorry your experience was not a pleasant one their are to many variables for me to even think about why.

Chip
Old 02-07-2010, 11:18 PM
DaveL322

Sorry your experience was not a pleasant one their are to many variables for me to even think about why.

Chip
If Chip says the cooling system (including the fan backplate spinner) is providing adequate cooling for the Visa, then I'm sure it is, and I'd setup the Visa exactly as he is. From experiments I've done, even small changes can have pretty big effects.

In 2006, I tried a couple of cooling schemes on an Abbra, which had a firewall mounted Pletty, minimal nosering, cheek inlets, and a chin inlet -
- no spinner with prop nut only, standard spinner, and modified spinner virtually identical to the one Nedim pictured.
- adding baffles to the cheeks (directed to the motor) and baffling for the chin directing air to the ESC and lipos.

Adding baffles to the cheeks marginally improved motor cooling. The cooling spinner marginally improved motor cooling. Extending the cheeks to within 1/2" of the prop face and shifting the baffles forward dramatically improved motor cooling, even moreso with the standard spinner. The exit air area was unchanged for all configurations. I've done various cooling experiments on several other airplanes, and not always gotten the anticipated results.

Regards,

Dave Lockhart

Old 02-07-2010, 11:32 PM
nedim

Just to let all know and clarify that:

My words "It didn't work for us" does not mean that we have cooling issues. We just replaced the modified "cooling fan" style spinner with an ordinary Tru Turn spinner and figured out that we still have the necessary and sufficient cooling, bringing us the fact that the cooling fan does not provide any additional benefit than marring the appearance. And the test conditions versus the existing satisfactory set-up were in Ceterus Paribus. There might existed a couple of degrees cooling benefit, not sure, wasn't significant to me. Needless to say that my Pletty doesn't even care a couple of degrees temperature increase.

And, Chip, I always admire your flying! You're a gifted RC Pilot, one of the best of all times including the days of Hanno. Regards, Nedim
Old 02-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Doug Cronkhite
My Feedback: (34)

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Just back from the paint shop. I am super happy and I realized one thing for sure. I truely have no vision when it comes to paint schemes.

Chip
I've never really been a fan of the 'euro' style schemes.. but THAT looks nice!
Old 02-08-2010, 06:56 PM
Doug Cronkhite

ORIGINAL: nedim

There might existed a couple of degrees cooling benefit, not sure, wasn't significant to me. Needless to say that my Pletty doesn't even care a couple of degrees temperature increase.
It's easy enough to test via using a closed cone spinner for X minutes, measure the temp, then test a vented cone for the same duration, and retest the temp. With the correct exit area, the open cone SHOULD run cooler.
Old 02-08-2010, 06:57 PM
Doug Cronkhite

Just back from the paint shop. I am super happy and I realized one thing for sure. I truely have no vision when it comes to paint schemes.

Chip
Wait.. that could be a name for a new Secret F3A airplane someday! You DO have a history of 'vision' designs.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:12 PM
JAS
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: Doug Cronkhite

Just back from the paint shop. I am super happy and I realized one thing for sure. I truly have no vision when it comes to paint schemes.

Chip
Wait.. that could be a name for a new Secret F3A airplane someday! You DO have a history of 'vision' designs.
[:@] [sm=punching.gif] (no vision...glasses or blind?... well it's neither...LOL)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.