Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

Two new F3A outrunners from Hacker

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 03:45 AM
Paul_K

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Two new F3A outrunners from Hacker

In their 2010 catalogue available for download here: http://www.hacker-motor.com/images/C...atalog_web.pdf
Hacker announces two new outrunners targeted for F3A use.

Hacker Q60 F3A is a backmounted outrunner very similar to the Plettenberg XTRA 30-10 EVO (The Hacker seems to be 5 mm longer).
Hacker Q80 13S F3A is front mounted outrunner.

I haven't been able to find any prices yet.
Old 02-05-2010, 05:11 AM
Paul_K

Default RE: Two new F3A outrunners from Hacker

Pictures...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65649.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	1372149   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni24192.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	1372150  
Old 02-05-2010, 10:30 AM
Rhilluk

that last one is a different shape to normal. I wonder what advantages it brings over the normal type
Old 02-05-2010, 11:15 AM
DaveL322

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd guess that design was to optimize cooling.

Regards,

Dave

ORIGINAL: foofydoo

that last one is a different shape to normal. I wonder what advantages it brings over the normal type
Old 02-05-2010, 02:35 PM
wagen017

Weights:
Q60: 580 gr
Q90: 590 gr.

Evo30-10: 550gr.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 PM
serious power

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi,
Pletty 580g since revision 2 years ago.

Brian
Old 02-05-2010, 04:20 PM
2Sunny

If we're splitting hairs

Old 02-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Rhilluk

any idea on price?
Old 02-05-2010, 04:24 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: foofydoo

Looks like maybe they were trying to make it an exact replacement for the C50 series in terms of mounting. If that's the case I would say "WoW!" Way to go Hacker, 'cuz that would be a definite selling point for me. Now if they can make an outrunner that weighs the same as the C50 we'd have a slam dunk.

Name:	Sq47830.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1372518   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79021.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	1372519  
Old 02-05-2010, 08:08 PM
ExFokkerFlyer
My Feedback: (4)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I think it's interesting that Hacker went with a front mounted outrunner. It would make sense that their intention was to have a C50 replacement, that's actually a pretty smart idea. The reason I am scratching my head though, more so than usual, is that most people have gone away from the front mounted motors without rear support. I am looking at the rear of the motor and don't see provisions for any support... it may be there, but i don't see it.

I never had any problems with front, or nosering, mounted motors, but there has been several threads devoted to the cons of this practice. Many airplanes have met their demise by noses falling off due to the stresses of the unsupported motor. I'd do it again, but recently that has been considered the 'wrong' way by those 'who know'. Just find it interesting.

Tom M
Old 02-05-2010, 08:12 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

As far as a price, a guy out west here talked to Hacker USA earlier this week about something unrelated and they also said that these motors were on their way. Price was supposed to be half that of the C50 Comps... which puts it around $400. Hopefully that's the list price and we can get it less than that. Maybe a Hacker guy will pipe in with the expected street price.

I also read on a German site that they are expected to hit the street around April. That was for the Q80, not sure if they are going to be available at the same time.

Tom M
Old 02-05-2010, 10:55 PM
2Sunny

ORIGINAL: ExFokkerFlyer

I think it's interesting that Hacker went with a front mounted outrunner. It would make sense that their intention was to have a C50 replacement, that's actually a pretty smart idea. The reason I am scratching my head though, more so than usual, is that most people have gone away from the front mounted motors without rear support. I am looking at the rear of the motor and don't see provisions for any support...

Tom M

I was wondering the same, but then I got to thinking that Pletty's have been mounted with rear support only for several years and there is no difference from a structural stand point whether a motor is front mounted or rear mounted assuming the moment length is the same. Anyways, an intriguing design none the less.

Joe
Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 PM
ExFokkerFlyer

The difference is in the structural integrity of what the motor is mounted to. The firewall mount is a much more rigid way to mount a motor. Typically they are supported by 180 degrees plus of a good solid joint. Nosering mounted, you are relying on the integrity of the glasswork/carbon of the nose section of the airframe. You are essentially hanging 20 plus ounces off of glass or carbon and relying on it to hold with all the gyroscopic forces of a 20"+ prop. That's the argument... Now, with my old Genesis, you could grab the prop and make the nose flex a couple degrees in each direction... that is until I reinforced it. I had about a hundred flights on it before that... and several more after... no issues.

But if you search the forums, they general consensus was that nose ring mounting is bad, aft mounting is good... and I suspect that's why we don't see many motors anymore that can be mounted by the nose. Dualsky used to be able to be mounted either way, but the new models are rear-mounted supported on the front to avoid damage.

FWIW

Tom M
Old 02-06-2010, 12:12 AM
TonyF
My Feedback: (92)

I don't know why, but every front mounted outrunner I have done has not worked. I destroyed a Partner fuse when I tried a front mounted outrunner in it, and several foamies got the nose destroyed when the front mounted outrunner ripped them apart. I only rear mount outrunners now. My personal opinion is that it has something to do with gyroscopic precession and the difference in the forces between front and rear mount.
Old 02-06-2010, 12:56 AM
ExFokkerFlyer

Tony,

I've had four with nosering mounted outrunners and they were all fine when I had them... three are still flying. Now, I know there are plenty of people like yourself Tony who had issues, so I can't say that there is nothing wrong with that kind of mounting... I just have never had any trouble, maybe it's just luck. But because you and others have had so many issues, and the prevailing thought was that nosering mounting was not a good idea, I am surprised that Hacker designed the motor this way. Maybe they have a better way of mounting it than we do?

Tom M
Old 02-06-2010, 10:32 AM
wingster
My Feedback: (26)

When mounted on a firewall any torque produced by the motor is transmitted to the fuselage. But since the fuselage is larger in circumference at the location of the firewall rather than at the nose, the force is spread out over a larger circumference. But thats only half the story. The torque produced by the motor must be opposed by the fuselage. The radius of the firewall acts as a lever arm, and the larger the lever arm the less force the fuselage has to apply. This is similar to a servo horn, the farther out you go the less force is required to stop a servo from moving(Torque=force x lever arm).

Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it(at least for now).

P.S. Unfortunately, I've got first hand knowlege of an unsupported Hacker A-60 ripping loose from a Prestige.
Old 02-06-2010, 11:20 AM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

My SebArt was designed with a Hacker in mind. It has a wooden motor box build into (out from?) the fuse for a front mount application.

I would think this would become common with the increase of e-dedicated airplanes.

Name:	Mk27120.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	129.2 KB
ID:	1372974  
Old 02-06-2010, 04:25 PM
wagen017

I am flying the Pletty mounted in the spinner so then you have a rear-mounted motor on the nosering which still sort of scares me. I think what is helping this solution is the fact you then have to use the RASA folding prop. I think it makes quite a difference on the stress induced on the nosering (provided the prop can actually fold....).
If I would do it again I would go for the rear-mounted motor on a firewall with a folding prop, just for safety.

So the front mounted Q80 might benefit of the folding prop as well.

Volkert
Old 02-07-2010, 02:28 AM
VerneK

I was judging and witnessed an AXI pull right out of the nose of a plane. It was either a Genesis or a Smaragd (can't remember). It happened shortly after entering the box from an end maneuver and there was a brief, deep-toned rumbling sound followed by shrapnel. The plane went into the falling leaf routine and wasn't damaged too badly. We were able to see where the motor just ripped the glass right out of the nose. We never did find the motor. It was a well-built plane with a fair number of flights on it. In any event, it was definitely some sort of destructive harmonic similar to flutter. If I were using an outrunner, it'd be rear-mounted to a firewall.

Verne

ORIGINAL: ExFokkerFlyer

The difference is in the structural integrity of what the motor is mounted to. The firewall mount is a much more rigid way to mount a motor. Typically they are supported by 180 degrees plus of a good solid joint. Nosering mounted, you are relying on the integrity of the glasswork/carbon of the nose section of the airframe. You are essentially hanging 20 plus ounces off of glass or carbon and relying on it to hold with all the gyroscopic forces of a 20''+ prop. That's the argument... Now, with my old Genesis, you could grab the prop and make the nose flex a couple degrees in each direction... that is until I reinforced it. I had about a hundred flights on it before that... and several more after... no issues.

But if you search the forums, they general consensus was that nose ring mounting is bad, aft mounting is good... and I suspect that's why we don't see many motors anymore that can be mounted by the nose. Dualsky used to be able to be mounted either way, but the new models are rear-mounted supported on the front to avoid damage.

FWIW

Tom M
Old 02-07-2010, 03:50 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

... Looking at the Q80 picture in the Hacker catalogue; should be possible to make an rear support...
EG: carbonplate2-3mm thick ( approx 3cm dia ), drill 5 holes in, put carbon rods in the holes,isolated by fuelhoses, fit everything in the center of the "spoke-space" ... rest of support to the fuse-frame could be the same as the C50... Hmm...

Just some thoughts, hard to say without the motor close-up... Anyway, would be interesting to try this motor, if i did not have two of the C50 already

Kjell Olav
Old 02-07-2010, 05:04 AM

... Or mayby i am totally wrong...
Hard to see which parts are moving in this motor... could the spokes move as well ...?

Kjell Olav
Old 02-07-2010, 09:38 AM
Rune

looks like the purple ring is moving and the shaft is connected to this , you see it if you looks at the Hacker site.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:14 PM

Thanks,
...yes, i see it... my fault...
hmm... needs another solution if wanted to be rear-supported...

Kjell Olav
Old 02-08-2010, 02:59 PM
Rhilluk

any Idea on prices?
Old 02-08-2010, 04:24 PM
Ricardo M.

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

According to Hacker web page.

Q80-13S F3A 429 EU.
Q60-7M F3A 409 EU.

Available since April.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.