Notices
Electric Pattern Aircraft Discuss epowered pattern aircraft in this forum

I need help on decision

Old 03-06-2010, 07:31 PM
tph1
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need help on decision

I want to build a balsa/foam pattern plane, in 120 to 140 size, maybe a full 2M, but I can't decide on which one to build. My problem is I Like Them All!
I have my fuse jig almost done and by tomorrow afternoon I will have my wing press done. I really want to build something in the 72"-74" fuse range and 66" to 70" 2 pc. wing. That said, that doesn't describe any of the designs I'm familiar with and I'm not well versed enough to design my own. So, I'm officially open for suggestions. Pentathalon and Black Magic are the only 2M's that I know of that meet what I'm looking for. HELP!
Old 03-07-2010, 12:08 AM
RC_Pattern_Flyer
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: I need help on decision

i am partial to the Pentathlon! Of course, if you do not like the fins.... leave them off.

i have flown the Black Magic owned by Arch Stafford and it flew very well.

Pentathlon has more parts but no need for jig, it all self aligns.

Good luck

Chuck
Old 03-07-2010, 08:33 AM
tph1

I have had a couple of email conversations with Mark and I like the plane. Unless I find something in the size range I'm looking for I might build one of the Insight's. I would do the Insight with the updated cores and round it off a little bit.
I like the looks of the B.M. V3 but with Mike being away there is no info on when their kit will be available and what the costs are.
The Temptation is the plane I would build if I could find the prints and cores. I thought I had a line on a Temp. kit but that didn't materialize. There is something about that plane I really like.
Old 03-07-2010, 10:50 AM
astropuppy
My Feedback: (23)

I'm currently building an "E" powered (2005 vintage) Insight. What's this about "Updated Cores"? I haven't talked to Mark since last fall. I know he's busy and I hate to bug him directly because he's already answered a bizillion questions of mine. Mark is truly a class act.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:15 AM
tph1

I think, he didn't say this exactly, he has stopped making the original cores for version one, and has changed them slightly for the CNC cutter
Old 03-07-2010, 06:55 PM
iflyrctoo

I don't know if it's still available but Dean Funk had a Defiant MkII kit for sale not long ago. Beautiful kit by Todd Schmidt.

Joe Dunnaway
Old 03-08-2010, 12:07 PM
tph1

thanks I saw that, the only glass/foam "kit" I would like to have is a Temptation, unless I get a SUPER deal on something else, otherwise I'm gonna build
Old 03-08-2010, 02:26 PM
rcpattern
My Feedback: (45)

What engine are you considering running? Most of the later 2 meter designs will perform better with the new larger motors. If you are looking at running something a little smaller then you will want to look at designs that are maybe a couple of years old. As one of the guys handling all the stuff while Mike deals with his health concerns, I can tell you it will be a couple of months for kits from Mike. He is actually changing a lot of the manufacturing stuff to take some of the load off himself and should be up and running after the NATS.

Arch
Old 03-08-2010, 02:35 PM
tph1

thanks Arch, I am going to go electric and don't want to spend $500 on an inrunner so that's why I was looking at something slightly smaller and maybe lighter. If I can get the contest balsa I think I'm gonna build an Insight with a couple of minor(rounded) changes. I am open to look at something else though since I haven't started yet.
Tom
Old 03-11-2010, 12:05 PM
tph1

I'm sure everyone has been waiting with baited breath so I will announce my decision, after literally minutes of research I have decided
I am going to build an Insight V4 ta da!
After a couple of emails with Mark (he could not have been nicer and more accomodating) and Astropuppy, and seeing the cad drawings I am going to do an updated Insight.