Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Used 500 or new 550e?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Used 500 or new 550e?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 03:52 PM
gfyss
My Feedback: (14)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Used 500 or new 550e?

Hi guys,

I'm looking to move up to a bigger heli as I work on my aerobatics. I'm currently flying a Trex 450 and a Blade400, but they get a bit too hard to see as my flying "improves". Since the 550e came out, I've seen a number of people looking to sell their 500's. I'm working up to light 3D, but no where near ready for the hard stuff, so the stock ESC & motor should suffice for either choice. I'd like to stick with 6s batteries as a max size, not sure what capacity I can get away with (fit) into either frame. I usually need a cardio break after 6 minutes anyway. I'd like to try flybarless, which comes with one of the 550e kits. But I can always buy the FBL kit for the 500 at a later date.

From what I've seen, a used 500 with FBL kit will cost around the same as the 550e FBL combo, otherwise it's about a $300 difference.

If you've flown both, FBL or not, I'd really like to hear your opinion on these 2 models, and which would be better for basic aerobatics up to light 3D. I probably won't get up to hard 3D any time soon.

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2010, 07:09 PM
augerin2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Used 500 or new 550e?

Cost to crash is the real significance here. 500 would be about 100 dollars give or take. 550e would be upwards of 160 +. Rc Heli magazine estimated the crash repair cost at 60 dollars. However when I questioned that, they said they did not include the cost of blades in their estimate because it varys from pilot to pilot. That's was their response to me in the magazine last month with that answer.
If cost is not a big issue I'd go with the 550e. My flying buddy has one & it's sweet!!! I'mlooking to sell some of my other stuff to get the 550e kit. I own a 500 now. It flys nice, but biger is beter lol
Old 09-22-2010, 11:31 AM
rotor09

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Used 500 or new 550e?

First, I will bet that simply because the bigger 550 flies better and is much easier to see once you start trying to fly maneuvers that take the heli further away from yourself, you will probably find that you will crash the 550 a lot less then you would the 500. Consequently after a year of flying you will probably find you have spent less money on crashes with the bigger 550 then you would have with the 500. So in reality the crash costs of flying the 550 is really less.

The bigger issue is what you may be forced to buy. You can get much better electronics for either heli from other manufacturers then the Align electronics supplied with their helis. So buy the time you change them out for more reliable items and sell the Align units on e-bay or your local clubs swap meet or whatever and buy proper gear, your overall costs will be greater then you anticipated.

That is why I suggest that you check out some other brands of 550 helis, like those from Mikado or Century. Starting with their combos that use very reliable motors and ESC's and adding proven and reliable electronics from manufacturers who specialize in them, such as Futaba, JR, Airtronics or Hi-Tech, you will find the cost to be the same as the Align 550E but you will be flying as good or better a heli with much better electronics and gyros.

Getting my Futaba equipped Century Swift 550E years ago, was a real eye opener relative to what you are asking. It probably has well over 300 hard flights on it now with no maintenance and no failures of anything!! I found the cost of getting it into the air was not much different then what I had spent geting my T450 flying properly. And their 620SE has even been more exciting.

Bigger is always better. And many other manufacturers have many more years of experience making the bigger helis (those that use mainblades of 550mm to 800mm). So you might find it well worth your while to check out 550 offerings from others.