Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Back into Helis - Need some help, its been a while

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Back into Helis - Need some help, its been a while

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2010, 11:06 AM
tpawyant

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Back into Helis - Need some help, its been a while

Hey all.

Well, its been about 2 years now, and broke out the eSky Lama v2 this weekend (still packed in the original box) and the last time i flew it, it did fly pretty well. Unfortunately, during a few moves, the radio must have gotten lost or misplaced so I was using an old airplane 4-channel radio to fly it.

I then noticed that the crystal sets did not match...so much question is this:

1. What/where can I get the appropriate match crystal set to make it work? The radio is on 72mhz
2. Do I upgrade my radio to something a bit nicer (planning on moving up to a reg electric heli in the future, no dual rotors)
3. Are there any other RTR's or kits out there that are much better than the eSky Lama v2 that I have that would be worth purchasing? (get a whole new set, with better radio, 2.4ghz, etc)???

This is the radio I have: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/r...PF_Cessna2.jpg

My son (8) just got this, and I am wanting something fly around with him...and so that we could trade if he wants to fly a heli. I remember the dual rotors are very easy to fly and learn on.

Thanks for any help....I really appreciate it

Old 10-18-2010, 03:08 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts
Default RE: Back into Helis - Need some help, its been a while

Moved to the appropriate forum. (Multi rotor means Chinook style heli's )
Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 PM
tpawyant

Thank you...

Anyone?

Ok, so I have been looking around and I think I have decided to go with a new heli, one with 2.4ghz technology.  It just seems to make sense.  Now...the big question is...which one is best for indoor and light wind outdoor flying??

There seems to be so many....BOL, Lama V2,3,4, Exceed, ESky, etc.!  ahhhhh

I would like one I could put BL motors in the heli and do some upgrades in the future....

Thanks!
Old 10-19-2010, 02:58 PM
Beachcomber

Well to a question in your first post, most hobby shops (local and on-line) sell crystals for 72 MHz radios.

But the problem with 72 MHz is interference during flight, from things around the neighborhood like garage doors, cordless phones, toys, etc. The 2.4 GHz won't have that problem.

Your choices are endless, as to what heli you should get. I always recommend folks starting with Co-Ax like your Lama, then moving up to single rotor FP (fixed pitch) 4-channel, say in the 300 size (18 ro 20 inches long). After that go to 450 size CP (collective pitch) 6-channel. If you have an experienced flyer to help you, then you might skip the 300 size FP. But a 450 CP can be frustrating to repair in even a minor tip-over. Any larger than 450 and you'll need to find either a large ball field or RC flying field.

As for brand, sometimes it's good to find out what brand your local hobby shop carries spare parts for. Not to scare you away, but you will have a few ... hard landings in the beginning.

Other than that, E-Sky and Walkera are popular brands on-line.
Hope this helps.