Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Custom RC Helicopter - blades/motor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Custom RC Helicopter - blades/motor

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 05:25 AM
Achilles79

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom RC Helicopter - blades/motor

Hey,

I'm just starting to research a project where I plan on designing and building an autonomous helicopter. As I am brand new to RC helicopters and RC systems in general, I've obviously come across a few difficulties. To start off with, I am struggling to pick a blade / motor combination. In order to simplify the hardware aspect of this project (I'm more interested in the software aspect), I was thinking of using 4 fixed-pitch, independently controled, brushless motors aligned such that the vertical axises of all the motors are at the vertexes of a square. Ideally the entire system will weight less than 3lbs (although I anticipate it to be much less than that) and have a maximum diagonal width (across the square) of 2". If this is the case, could anyone recommend an approriate, maximum theretical thrust to obtain for the entire system, along with the coresponding blades and brushless motors?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Achilles
Old 10-24-2010, 07:33 AM
nothinbetr2do

Default RE: Custom RC Helicopter - blades/motor

maybe this will give you some ideas http://www.brookstone.com/ar-drone-q...tml?bkiid=hmpg
Old 10-24-2010, 07:12 PM
Achilles79

Thanks.  That is pretty much the kind of design I had in mind, except hopefully much more advanced in the end
Question though - is it a bad choice to use rc helicopter "tail blades" as main blades?  The reason I ask, is I would like the total diameter of the circle occupied by each main blade to be at roughly a maximum of 6".  I can't seem to find such short blades which are described as main blades instead of tail blades.  For example this: click
Old 10-25-2010, 08:11 AM
Rafael23cc
My Feedback: (6)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Achilles79

...Question though - is it a bad choice to use rc helicopter ''tail blades'' as main blades?
Forget helicopter parts for that type of design. The only "parts" from an RC heli that you would use will be the electronics, nothing else. Use fixed pitch blades (airplane props) for your application.

Rafael