Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Hornet vs Hummingbird for beginners?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hornet vs Hummingbird for beginners?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 12:42 PM
zerpy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hornet vs Hummingbird for beginners?

From some feedback I have gotten from here and from others is that a hummingbird is a pretty good way to go to start out with micro helis, of course with the standard disclaimer that since I haven't flown a heli before I'll have a hell of a time learning on a micro, yada yada yada...

Anyway, there have been some recommendations of a hornet but I've heard that isn't a good route for beginners. The question that is still unanswered though, is a hornet harder to learn to fly with (fixed pitch of course) compared to a HB?

It looks like assembly and setup of a hornet will be more difficult. I've been into RC modeling all my life and that challenge doesn't scare me, this is just my first foray into helis. Many of the people that have recommended the HB to me were saying that the HB will be good after I upgrade it with these Hornet components... Well, if I don't have an issue with the initial assembly and setup of the hornet, why not go with one in the first place. Plus, it is much more upgradable as I gain experience flying.

I'm just wondering if they are more unstable and harder to learn on. It sounds like it will be more expensive should I crash it. As the tail assembly is going to be much more sensative to getting smacked around.

Just looking for your thoughts, experiences and opinions.

Thanks
jas
Old 08-19-2003, 06:23 AM
Carlos2

I have a hummingbird and it has been a blast. This is the first chopper I have ever flown and it flies great. Although, I wasnt having the greatest time with the stock motor since it would burn out on me pretty quickly. Otherwise, it has been relatively trouble free.

The biggest thing I think that should determine what to fly, is what you are more likely to be successful with. The Hummingbird was relatively simple to set up, for a person with limited RC experience like me. I managed to learn to hover with no serious crashes. My only expense was one replacement stock motor, and my current Acro 280 BB motor.

Mechanically speaking, the HB didnt require much effort on my part. I could devote myself to learning to fly almost exclusively. Instead of learning to fly and learning to set up a chopper all at once. Whenever, I had a hard landing or crash, it was nice to know that it was probably due to pilot error, not a setup issue.

As far as upgradeability, it seems to me that you could probably do just about anything to a HB that you could do to a Hornet (besides the tail). I even seen posts and pictures of a flybarless collective pitch hummingbird.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:28 AM
tocano

Check this beginner heli note:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=135367

It has the most comprehensive note on electric heli for beginner I found anywhere on the net. The guy that wrote it, Toshi, has done the hard work for us.
Old 08-22-2003, 11:47 AM
zerpy

Hey that was very useful! Thanks much!
jas