Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

problem with motor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

problem with motor

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2015, 12:36 AM
cathal

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default problem with motor

Hi for my master thesis aviation engineering at VUB. I have to make a test bench for scaled blades of a helicopter.
I'm using a Turingy 500 H3126 brushless outrunner 1300KV with 600mm blades. To be able to test for longer periods i have installed a DC power supply in stead of a battery (the helicopter is mounted to a test bench). The supply has a rated current of 60 amps and a max voltage of 14V. In theory this should be enough to power the helicopter, but when i increase the angle of the blades, the rpm decreases. So my question is; where is the problem? And could the ESC have anything to do with it? I use a red brick 70 amps.
Could anyone help me?

kind regards

Cathal
Old 05-11-2015, 08:34 AM
etpompea

Looking at the spec's for this motor shows that it's rated for 6 cells (22.2v) which is what it would normally run in a 500 size heli. Also, in a 500 size heli you would normally run 425-430mm blades. By using only 14v and 600mm blades you are overloading the motor/esc. No wonder the rpm decreases as you add pitch. You need to run more voltage (22v) and less load (425mm blades) otherwise you're going to smoke the motor/esc. Also, watch your pinion size. Too large a pinion will also up the current draw. You should get a wattmeter which you can plug in between whatever power supply you're using and the esc. This will tell you what your amp/watt draw is.

Ed
Old 05-12-2015, 10:42 AM
cathal

thanks!