Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Brushless setup for hummingbird

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Brushless setup for hummingbird

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 09:27 PM
darkside212
My Feedback: (73)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brushless setup for hummingbird

Hi Everybody,
I was thinking of getting a brushless setup for my hummingbird. How do you wire up the controller? do you use the mixer or do you need to mix with the radio? Also what is a good setup, $ is a factor!
Thanks for your input!
Old 11-11-2003, 04:16 AM
microAmps

Default RE: Brushless setup for hummingbird

Guys (and Girls?) I am very interested in find ths out as well.
Is it possible to go brushelss with the stock 4ch non mixing radio? The way I see it (and please correct me if I am wrong) you would probably use a "Y" lead from the throttle channel on the receiver. One branch would go to the brushless controller to run the main motor. The second branch would go to the stock speed controller to maintain the variable output to the tail rotor via the gyro.
Am I on the right track, or am I completely wrong , and you cant use a 4ch at all and have to upgrade the radio to a mixer set and run that way.
Advice on this would be greatly appreciated, I am not new to RC, just to helis, but I am bitten big time.
Also if anyone knows of any links to brushless conversions, including showing the connections or a circuit diag, that would be great as well. Come on all you guys with converted brushless micro helis, lend a hand.
Thanks in advance
uA
Old 11-11-2003, 05:06 AM
AtomHeartMother

Check out helihobby.com. They have good info on setting a heli up for brushless(seperates).
In short, yes you can use a 4 channel radio with a brushless set up. You'd need to run a heading hold gyro though. But they're much better to learn with anyway. Basically, you'd be running two speed controllers. One for the main motor and one for the tail motor. The tail esc would be wired to the gyro and the gyro would run off your rudder channel. Can't think of the tail motor as throttle in the micro heli world.
Old 11-11-2003, 01:38 PM
darkside212
My Feedback: (73)

hey Micro amps I just went and found complete instructions on how to wire up a brushless setup on helihobby.com.
http://helihobby.com/html/separate_electronics.html
Old 11-17-2003, 01:38 AM
VULTCH

I think micro amps is correct with the Y harness using the stock mixing board. The reason for this the revo mixing is performed from the throttle signal. Example: If you disconnect the main motor OUTPUT and run only the tail motor as throttle is increased the tail motor will increase while the rudder control still controls the motor. This is because MIXING is done in the combo mixing board. Although you will not be using the main motor ESC you will need this signal for revo mixing. The only problem may be the BEC circuitry of two ESC s working together. One may need disabled or Hot wire cut leading to the receiver. Both units will require battery power. I don't see any reason this should not work. I've ordered a brushless system to go on my Hummingbird and I will let you know how it works.
Old 11-17-2003, 01:55 AM
microAmps

Thanks VULCH, I was half guessing when I wrote that, but it made sense to me that the mixing still happens with the stock ESC and obviously the tail still needs a torque adjusted power supply to stay straight. So running a throttle signal to the main (brushless) ESC and to the stock ESC for the use of the input only for mixing purposes made sense to me. Of course you would still have to run the rudder signal to the stock ESC as well to control the TR.(I had to read that twice to see if it still made sense, lol)
Anyway......
I have begun the slow (because of price) process of converting my HB to seperates.
First off is the HH gyro (Fut GY240), then the 5A tail ESC and a EDF DD tail motor.
At this stage I am leaving the main motor stock, so I can get the feel for setting up the tail end without changing the main motor, yet.
Next will be brushless controller and motor for the main.

I know there are probably 20 recommendations on this and other forums regarding the best brushless choices. But I would appreciate peoples ideas on the most successful combinations of brushless main motors and controllers,
Thanks
uA