Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Aerohawk brushes modifications ?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Aerohawk brushes modifications ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2003, 06:40 AM
tamiok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aerohawk brushes modifications ?

Hi all,

I am a R/C model builder for a long time and I very enthusiastically bought an Aero Hawk thinking it would be a good and cheap way to learn how to fly a RC heli.
After about one hour and a half of training my tail rotor brushes got loose and stopped working properly, so I changed the motor.
Now this problem is fixed but it’s my main motor that shows signs of weakness so it is a bit frustrating.
I am thinking of changing it but before that I thought of another solution and I would like your advice : before I changed the tail rotor motor for a new one I tryed to change the brush system by taking regular high quality brushes from a 10v motor and mounting them in place of the defective ones.
I have pictures if you are interested, it was a tough job…
As you know they look like very tiny tubes in which the brushes are sliding in and out and pushed by a stringer.
Well, to be honest I was very unsure about the outcoming of the operation but it even worked vey well, the output was at least the same as with the brand new motor….
10 minutes later some smoke began to appear, the glue I had used to stick the brush tubes inside burned because of the heat …..
I think that before I change my main motor I will try to change the brushes too but this time using heat resistant glue that can take 200º Celsius ( called Cyanolit ).
Since brushes are a hot topic I wanted your opinion about wehter or not this little modification would be worth a try since there might be some special issues while changing brushes, like the fact that bigger brushes gives more amps or something like that….

Best Regards,

Mathieu.
Old 02-28-2004, 09:50 AM
bdesh123

Default RE: Aerohawk brushes modifications ?

hi GUY . HOW U DOOING POLEASE POST THE PICS U BEENN TALKING ABOUT, MY BRUSH IS OUT AND THE STORE IS OUT OF STOCK PARTS .. THANKS MUCH
TAK CARE
SAMI
Old 02-28-2004, 09:50 AM
bdesh123

THANKS AGIAN
Old 02-28-2004, 01:25 PM
helisfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha.... that a good idea, most of the time the motor burn is because the brush is burn. Like my tail motor.. hahaa.. burn like 3 already .... non survive 30 min of fly time.... ahhh.... but so far my main motor is doing great... or maybe (soon or later it will be gone to) hahahaa... the best way is the Orien Elite Modify or the Mega Brushless, reasonable price and power for an aerohawk... i don't think aerohawk can survive the torque of a Hacker... lol..
Old 02-28-2004, 03:21 PM
glennT

Done that many times. Check the link [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=192618]here[/link].

For the tail motor, you should make the brushes small and as a pair, or they would cause too much drag and draw too much current. For both main motor and tail motor, you can replace brushes as many times as the commutator allows.
Old 02-28-2004, 08:48 PM
tahustvedt

ORIGINAL: helisfreak

Ha.... that a good idea, most of the time the motor burn is because the brush is burn. Like my tail motor.. hahaa.. burn like 3 already .... non survive 30 min of fly time.... ahhh.... but so far my main motor is doing great... or maybe (soon or later it will be gone to) hahahaa... the best way is the Orien Elite Modify or the Mega Brushless, reasonable price and power for an aerohawk... i don't think aerohawk can survive the torque of a Hacker... lol..
The Orion Elite is a coreless motor, isn't it? Idon't think it has carbon-brushes so it will require a high-frequency speed controller or the finger-brushes will probably burn up pretty quickly.

There's still a chance it might work well, though. I guess we'll find out.
Old 02-29-2004, 12:44 AM
bdesh123

Dude too much uncertainity with coreless .. think i will go for Brushless will cost over a $$$125 bucks but i guess worth a try.. tak care guyz thanks for help
Old 02-29-2004, 01:59 AM
helisfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well... helihobby said they the Orien motor can be use with stock pcb board on piccolo and other micro heli...
Old 02-29-2004, 02:10 AM
bdesh123

Freak sorry ,, dude ,,, but its a part of ur nick i guess.. What do u think about coreless .coz I reaallly need a replacement >> I tried the extending brush thing works but not taht good.. I got the stock battary.. Ne idea.. should I go for bruhless or not