Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

aero hawk a piece of crap?!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

aero hawk a piece of crap?!

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 04:34 AM
tamiok

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: aero hawk a piece of crap?!

OOOOOh Yeah !

I fully agree with you, I was very disappointed with this tail rotor little problem so while waiting for the parts I tryed to balance the little devil as well as possible, especially the flybar and paddles.
I do not think this heli is a piece of crap, you just have to be patient.
Since it is built in China you have to read a bit of Confucius and Lao Tseu first in order to balance the forces inside you and prevent yourself from trashing everything after a bad flight !
( the Yoda version works very well too... )
The next step for me is to install a wireless video camera that they sell at raidentech for 85 bucks and has a superior range than the remote control itself which is good !
(unfortunately they are out of stock for the moment)
It weighs 9 grams and can be connected directly to the battery, i am just afraid that it will drain it out even faster [] !
Resolution 640*480 color, get the 2.4 ghz version.
As for the batteries I made some packs myself for 12 bucks each, so three of those packs plus the Graupner Turbomat fast charger (30 bucks) that fills up a battery in ten minutes gives me unlimited flying.
Just clean the motors with a spray and allow it to cool down for five to ten minutes between each flight !
Another good simulator is the FMS simulator that is especially designed for model airplanes or helicopters and which is totally free just look after it in good old Google !
( my computer doesnt need anymore microsoft software..)
Good luck guys !
Old 03-21-2004, 10:59 PM
blkbul

HELLO BEGINNER HERE
i watched the viedo of aerohawk outdoors befor purchase i would like tO achieve flight performance as such some one out there knows how to fly these things so ill keep working at it once i get two more wings
ill have to say all that plastic is very durable in fact ive boght some more fight time in using superglue and plastic cement flight is kinda addicting at the difficulty want my son to see that thing fly in time as it stands i have very small room to practice flight in my condo any type of wind out side just seems to change the whole dynamics and confuses me at the helm
after making so many attemps to practice and hoover MY BATTERY GOES DEAD
AT HOW MANY VOLTS IS INSUFFICIENT FOR GOOD FLIGHT PERFORMANCE
ON A 8.4VOLT BATT PACK
ALSO DOES THE LOW BATT INDICATOR ONTHE CONTROL ALSO REFLECT LOW VOLT ON THE BATERY PACK ? i think no just need to verify
I WOULD LIKE TO DEVELOP AWAY TO DETERMINE WHEN BAT IS LOWon pack LIKE A LIGHT MECH ON HELI ATTACHED TO BATT FOR LOW LIGHT IS THAT POSSIBLE AND DOES THAT MAKE ANY SENSE AND PERTICULAR TO WHEN IT DROPS TO A CERTAIN VOLT LIGHTwould COME ON
with the heads up u need to recharge
Old 03-22-2004, 03:19 PM
zeeshan

i think the problem that all or most new people to micro helis have is that when they get the helicopter they charge it and think that it will be simple to fly and just start cant wait the adrenalin starts running to fast.need to trim properly.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:14 PM
vmaxjer

i have an aerohawk with 72mhz gws radio.i have bashed this thing off of just about every piece of furniture in my house and all ive replaced so far was a tail rotor blade,main motor and main shaft.this thing is super tough.i have about 30-40 flights on it now with noproblems.ihad it hovering after about 10 packs n this is the first heli ive flown.this thing is great fun and cheap to fix.i flew afriends hummingbird and it seemed a bit smoother,but slow on the controls.i like the aerohawk.i run the rotor blades quite loose in the head with great success.if you get the wobble that people talk about,try changing the main drive gear as it is crap.just keep at it and youll get the hang of it.
Old 03-22-2004, 09:19 PM
vmaxjer

hey!i bought one ofthose color cameras on ebay.by the time i got it i only paid around 40 bukks.you might wanna try there first.i use it in my gws beaver and havent been able to lose range yet and thats with the plane almost far enuff that you can hardly see it.i hope this is of any help.
Old 03-23-2004, 05:58 AM
Dj Kriz

Ok another question about Aerohawks parts...

The left over "flash" from the molds... Are all the micro heli's like this or what.
And where the swash plate rubs against the main rotor shaft, is that a common micro heli thing too?

Gracias.
Old 03-23-2004, 01:14 PM
blkbul

my crontroller
need to no if others have same controller
on aero hawk
left joystick is throttle up
as opposed to it being the right joystick as manual states
also nose turning left and right is on left stick aswell
dip switces 1&2 are up 3&4 are down
is this correct straight out the box factory preset
hobby tron assured me this was correct and they needed to up date manuals
aero hawk relacing skylark at time i purchased
ive been getting used to controlls as are !!!!!
also thanks for fms simulator been looking for one of those for a long time except i cannot get my joystick to work on heli only planes using keyboard only
need a response
Old 03-24-2004, 04:29 AM
tamiok

i have the same layout, for my radio, as soon as you fly right...
as for the fms, simr wiring instructions can be found in order to connect your radio to it but you need to have a friend into electronics because i didn't get the point....
Old 03-24-2004, 04:48 AM
tamiok

My tail motor burned again[:@]....
I would advise you guys to get one or two in advance !
As for the 2.4ghz long range wireless camera that weighs 9 grams i am getting bored with Raidentech, it's one month that I am waiting for it and my order is still on hold, sayin'that they are waiting for the cam, but since I pay it 99 bucks and the normal price is 300 it's worth the wait (it has a sony sensor..)
I was thinking of hooking it up with VR glasses that simulates a massive screen, i found ones with almost the same resolution as the cam (640*480 px) for 300 bucks brand new on a dutch website !
Imagine flying your micro heli with Virtual Reality googles hooked up to a microcam in the nose of the bird, sound awesome, but i'm pretty sure there will be some crashes anyway !
Also imagine the amazed face of your neighbours when you will fly your heli with the googles on in order to check that the burgers are cooking well on the barbecue 100 yards away...
Old 03-24-2004, 05:19 AM
jbalat

Wow, I am thinking of exactly the same project. I want to mount 2 wireless cameras and hook the left and right video reception to each eye of the vr glasses which would allow you to fly in stereo. This would give much better depth perception for landing. I have not been able to source any glasses that would accept 2 seperate video sources.
Old 03-24-2004, 06:13 AM
tamiok

as far as Iknow this is not possible and i am afraid that if one of the cameras fails you would get a weird appreciation of distances.
besides two cameras means twicw as much weight and power consumption, I like very much your idea but I think that it would be better with a bigger heli that could lift everything.
if you want I can give you the website for the 300 euros goggles.

Good luck anyway end we keep in touch, good to know that i am not the only mad guy here !
Old 03-24-2004, 07:46 AM
zeeshan

that idea is totally possible i have seen it done you just need some special equipment.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:10 AM
thiswillfly

I agree the main drive gear is crap. Have just upgraded the main shaft to the steel version (smartech) and noticed that the main plastic drive gear is very loose on the shaft. What have you changed this item to ?.
Old 03-25-2004, 06:49 PM
blkbul

is item 05 yellow soft rubber pipe suppose to sit flush on item 06 bearing

i have a 1/8 inch between the too on main axle

do i ned to pull this down

because my main axle an main drive gear rock up an down 1/8 inch on the main motor gear

i was reajusting the swash mech and dont rember if i some how pushed down and or pulled that yellow piping up on my shaft

does any one no

and what is the x tal connctor device for on transmitter aero hawk

need a response
thank you
Old 03-29-2004, 02:19 AM
tamiok

You were right about the 2 cameras and the stereo vision, this is such a great idea !

On the website of a company calles dimensiononline you can find 3d compatible glasses that can be hooked up to two different sources.

As for me i will try with one camera only to start with.....
Old 03-29-2004, 12:32 PM
Airbourne in Japan
My Feedback: (3)

hi. i bought the aerohawk and it wouldn't even lift off the ground for the first two weeks. then the tail motor went and i waited for a replacement. today i put the new motor in and it simply lept into the air ! i was astounded and wished i hadn't spent over $1000 getting something i thought would definately lift off (eco 8 + brushless motor). at last i can learn to hover etc. hooooray !! (see my thread does the aerohawk really fly)
Old 03-30-2004, 02:20 AM
tamiok

this tail rotor is really a problem, i always have a few in stock in case they burn.....
you can also repair the brushes but this is quite tricky..
Old 03-30-2004, 02:56 AM
GREGF

Ihave an aerohawk running the fun pic tail motor and gear drive. I have been flying for about 2 months on lipo batts and have not had one burn out on the tail motor. Maybe you guys could upgrade to the pic tail. I had a look at an aerohawk tail and noted the gear drive was tight on it and it looked like you could not adjust the motor to give a clearance gap between the gears.Could this be causing all the motor burn outs you guys are getting.
Old 03-30-2004, 04:07 AM
SMaric

I have just had to replace the main gear - completely strippe about 1/4 of the teeth

I had a lot of vertical play - enough so that the main gear would completely disengage from the main motor pinion

Anyhow new main gear (decided to put a new main steel shaft in as well) - still lots of play
So I put in a couple of M3 brass washer

I removed the rubber sleeving below the swash-plate
Put one washer under the swash-plate
Put the rubber sleeving back on
put one washer below the rubber sleeving

Put the shaft back in - check if you can fit the main gear retaining pin in
(I had to cut the rubber sleeving down a little)

Be careful - make sure the shwsh-plate remains level
Old 03-30-2004, 08:41 AM
tamiok

Thanks a lot guys, both for the tail motor and the swashplate trick sure this is gonna help' !
Old 05-27-2004, 03:58 PM
Hangerbearing

Ball in Swash swashplate. Look [link=http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2164161#post2164161]here[/link]. Feel free to contact me if you have any queries.

Jem
Old 05-27-2004, 09:34 PM
lineman55

Hey Tamiok,
I installed a camera on my Aerohawk.
I am running the Johnson motor with Like90 blades.
Thunderpower 1350mah 2 cell
I had a hell of a time getting it to fly with that clunky 9v battery for the camera power source.
Total flight time: 2 min if your lucky with no wind and at just a hover.
I then wired in my camera pigtail to my Lipo so now I lost some weight and my battery now supplies the chopper with power and runs my camera also!
6 min of video and flight time!
If your thinking of 2 cameras ...I believe it might be to heavy and your motor and battery really heats up trying to stay aloft.
Just a little FYI for anyone thinking of trying the camera thing.
But it can be done.
Cheers and good luck!
Old 05-28-2004, 01:55 AM
jbalat

Do you think that 3 cells may work or is it likely to blow the camera ?
Old 05-29-2004, 02:54 PM
casipak
My Feedback: (3)

I got an aerohawk and it was alright. I had to fix the radio because one of the servos wouldn't function properly and then glue the tailblade because of a crack. I flew in the back yard and it was great. There I thought to myself how happy I was to finnaly learn to fly. Then the main axle tore into strips and the tail driving gear cracked. I don't think that aerohawk is generally a piece of crap. I just think it's a matter of being able to fly and getting a non-defective one. Mine is defenatly messed up. That's why I'm selling my aerohawk. I want to buy the EXQUISTE heli, also from smartech, but I can't find it anywhere. Please tell me where to buy it if you know.
Old 05-29-2004, 03:09 PM
UKgroucho

ORIGINAL: Smaric
I have just had to replace the main gear - completely strippe about 1/4 of the teeth

I had a lot of vertical play - enough so that the main gear would completely disengage from the main motor pinion

CNC alu shaft collar is the answer... try www.like90.com in the US or www.hobbydeals.nl in Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.