Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Rate Gyro Question...????

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Rate Gyro Question...????

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 07:19 AM
Gyronut

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rate Gyro Question...????

This may be a silly question but................would it be useful to use gyro's on all 3 axis ?
Has anyone tried this before and if so what were the results...???

Rick
Old 01-16-2004, 12:17 PM
Gyronut

Default RE: Rate Gyro Question...????

I find it hard to believe that know one has an opinion on this subject but yet if I wanted to know the average age of a heli driver this thread would be 2 pages in lenght by now.
Old 01-16-2004, 12:36 PM
randii

I for one don't understand your question. What three axis?

FWIW...
* Fixed-pitch helis use gyros to adjust left/right and fore/aft swash tilt, but you control ascent/descent with blade speed (i.e. throttle or contact with a fixed object. )
* Variable-pitch helis use gyros to adjust left/right and fore/aft swash tilt, with an additional gyro for varying rotor pitch. You control ascent/descent with blade speed and/or blade pitch, depending on your preference, ability, receiver, and/or wiring.
Both of these types have an additional channel for tail rotor control (note that this signal is mixed in at the heli with the throttle input).

Hope that helps,

Randii
Old 01-16-2004, 01:11 PM
flyingchaos

I think I know what your talking about Gyronut.

If you ahve the cash and are able to get the heli to lift all those gyros :-), then I would not see why that isn't a bad idea...

Although, remember that a regular gyro mainly compensates for tilt on any given axis. It does not sense translational movement.
This is what I am accustom to anyway. The new HH(heading hold) gyros may do the trick.

If the wind blows your heli sideways, the gyro would sense it and compesate.
I've never tried it myself, but would image if all went well, you'd have your self a pretty stable heli..

I'm not quite sure how many people actually do this.

-Dan
Old 01-16-2004, 01:26 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Randii,
I don't think you quite understood the question. We use gyros to stabilize the control of the tail Whether it is an electric tail controled by an ESC or a mechanical tail controled by a servo, the gyro modifies the signal coming from the receiver to the ESC/Servo.
Gyronut's question is how weell would it work to put gyros between the receiver and the servos for the cyclic controls.

Gyronut, this has been discussed before. I would love to try it, but I am one gyro short. Between myself and my 2 brothers, we have a Futaba gy240, a GWS PG02 and a CSM HLG200. If I had another CSM HLG200, I could use those for the cyclic gyros and either the PG03 or the gy240 for the tail.
I am awayre of the difficulties with this. The gyro may try to hold the heli in a constand drift, which will be bad. The gyros may be overly aggressive, putting wag in the cyclic control thqat will quickly be bad. They gyros may dampen my control inputs, which will be bad. But I am up for giving it a go. Anyone got a spare CSM HLG200 in working order? I could trade it for the un-flown co-pilot I have from my dad.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:30 PM
randii

I was pretty sure I didn't understand the question of the original post -- or the attitude in the follow-up.

Glad to see some more-informed folks are posting up!

Randii