Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Hummingbird Drifting

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hummingbird Drifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 11:57 AM
agricus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hummingbird Drifting

I am new to the RC Heli, I got myself a Hummingbird VII. I am following the tutorial on [link=http://www.dream-models.com/h/flying-index.html]RADD'S SCHOOL OF ROTARY FLIGHT[/link]

I don't know if anyone with Hummingbird is following this tutorial too.

Anyway, on battery #1 in the guide it ask to spin up till the tail started to turn right and the head to drift left. I was able to make the tail stick at 6 o'clock but the head is drifting left when i apply right aileron to correct this it drift even more the more i apply the faster it drift left. Left aileron input does the same thing. when i apply the right aileron the swashplate does tilt to the right and left if i give left aileron imput. I know the manual is for ECO. Could the way hummingbird act is reflected on it's light weight?

One more thing. If i decieded to go to ECO how much of my electronic can be transfer over? I have the Hitec Laser 4 and sperate century gyro and hummingboard?

I appreciate all the help
Old 03-04-2004, 02:13 PM
jeremygaughan

Default RE: Hummingbird Drifting

Those micro helis are junk buy the bigger electric. The best thing I ever did for my heli flying was go to www.heliguy.com He has a free simulator and a plan to make a computer interface for $5.00 I know nothing about wiring electric stuff and I built his interface chord. The practice flying is a must to save money lost by crashing. I just bought a Eolo R22 and it is fairly small and a lot of fun. The only equipment that will transfer over is the servos and gryo. good luck and good lift.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:42 PM
bluesilver30

"Those micro helis are junk buy the bigger electric."

do you even own a micro? they fly fine.....

anyway. first things first. you need to get your teminology correct. everything you control with the right stick is cyclic, not pitch and aileron like in planes. the left stick is throttle and rudder.

now, if your nose is yawing to the left (dont worry about the tail, focus on the head) then you need to add right rudder. it seems as if you are trying to compensate for yawing with cyclic control. im not sure if this is what you were talking about, but if its not please clarify and i will try to help you more.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:53 PM
tahustvedt

ORIGINAL: bluesilver30

"Those micro helis are junk buy the bigger electric."

do you even own a micro? they fly fine.....

anyway. first things first. you need to get your teminology correct. everything you control with the right stick is cyclic, not pitch and aileron like in planes. the left stick is throttle and rudder.

now, if your nose is yawing to the left (dont worry about the tail, focus on the head) then you need to add right rudder. it seems as if you are trying to compensate for yawing with cyclic control. im not sure if this is what you were talking about, but if its not please clarify and i will try to help you more.
First you tell him to use the correct terminology, then you tell him helicopters don't have pitch, then you tell him to give rudder...? Helis have cyclic controls (roll/pitch), lift control (up/down via throttle or collective pitch change) and tail control (yaw).
Old 03-04-2004, 05:25 PM
agricus

terminology I used was refer to the Hummingbird manual.

what the Hummingbird was doing is if I am at close to half stick on the thruttle the helicopter start to get light on the skid but not light enough to where you see the heli start to roll to left or right. At this point the whole hummingbird head and tail started to slide to the left, when i apply right cyclic control to compensate for it slide to left at even faster paste. if i give left cyclic input it move slower.

Just for testing purpose to make sure i got the control right. I hold the heli with my hand and throttle up and apply right cyclic input i do feel the heli trying to roll right.

I apprecite the help..and the non-help response
Old 03-04-2004, 05:39 PM
bluesilver30

k, i didnt know your whole heli was sliding, i thought it was just your nose. sounds like your tx channel may have to be reversed. if you have training gear lift off a couple inches and it will allow you to get a better understanding of what the cyclic is doing.

"Helis have cyclic controls (roll/pitch), lift control (up/down via throttle or collective pitch change) and tail control (yaw). "
helis have cyclic controls, for/aft left/right. they dont have ailerons, so i dont understand the point of saying aileron when describing roll. i know Century does it, but that doesnt mean i should agree with them. cyclic control is one system, unlike fixed wing airplanes which has seperate mechanics for elevator (pitch) and ailerons. when i am describing a problem, i like to talk about the item i am working on (helicopters) not airplanes. i wasnt sure in the first explination if Agricus was confusing rudder and ailerons for some reason, so i asked him to clarify. sorry if anyone has a problem with that.
Old 03-04-2004, 05:58 PM
coltech

When connecting up ( transmitter with all trims centred, then switch on, then connect battery wait for green LED on ESC) Check the position of your giro horns, (arms) they should be at right angles. If not take off the arms and reposition until they are. (Or as close as possible). Also make sure when you move the cyclic controls that they move in the right direction.

Hope this helps
Old 03-04-2004, 10:56 PM
pgitta
My Feedback: (3)

Sure sounds like they're reversed, but if you say they're right, I've had this sort of thing happen from time to time. I've found you can't *****foot around lifting off with these mini machines. They're so light, that if you try to lift off slowly, even the slightest tilt causes the air it's moving to reflect back off the floor/ground and send the little sucker scurrying across the floor like one of them bugs on a still pond.

Pop it up off the ground with a jolt of throttle and then back off right away. Nor very realistic, but then the tiny ones are NOT very realistic anyway.
Old 03-05-2004, 07:33 AM
sjgusmc21

pgitta: Thanks for adding in your last line. I have been struggling with my HBII, trying to hover a few inches off of the ground and such, with no luck. Then I got brave, gave it 3/4 throttle and up it went, backed off and started flying the dang thing! What a rush. Landing however, needs a lot more practice! I thought I was doing something wrong, until I read your post. Thanks.
Old 03-07-2004, 07:30 PM
Xperimental

Man... mine really... really... really slides to the left... i've even adjusted the servo to tilt to the right a little (as default) to counter the super left drifting.... then pitch my pitch control full right just to take off... but when it's 30cm or so above ground.... it's level....

No cure isn't there? This is on hard ground..... when it's on carpet or anything rougher, it's even worse... it just tips and falls sideways unless you give it a full throttle.... wahahaha....
I'm really stressed here... can someone give me an answer?
Old 03-07-2004, 08:03 PM
HB flyer

hi Xperimental...
coba wkatu throttling up.., jangan setengah-setengah, karena heli akan selalu drifting ke kiri ketika its light on the skid! try it..., and let me know, berhasil apa tidak...i'm sorry, saya lebih suka pake bhs indo, drpd bhsnya bule..hehehe...

HB Flyer
Old 03-07-2004, 08:42 PM
Xperimental

HB Flyer,
Bisa/It can fly if the throttle is full, butttt..... after installing a new stock tail motor, no matter how i configure the gyro... the tail motor tends to lose against the force made by the main motor turning it counter clockwise.... How should i configure it??!!! On half throttle... the tail motor seems to have enough power to counter it... but on full throttle... i'd have to counter it on my controller alot.....hmmm...

Is it suppose to do that even on optimum configuration? It's seems so hard trying to find the right/best configuration.... if i hover 30cm I can hover it quite stabil for some 3 seconds... but on higher altitude it seems to require more power on the tail motor...
(sorry if i speak in english... i'm afraid if i speak indonesian i wouldn't be able to share this information with the others... of course... bahasa indonesia saya lancaarrr sekallleeeee....... hey... bisa pesen hornet dari sana.... tinggal di usa beneran neh?)
Old 03-08-2004, 07:43 AM
HB flyer

hi Xperimental...
try to check the gear mesh between tail pinion and tail rotor gear....dont too tight but dont too loose, center your trim also
well, for mine, I never need to have a lot right rudder to counter the torque made by main motor even at full throttle, please double check about how to mount your gyro according to the manual instruction! Better to get separate for your heli using brushless motor, DD tail motor, and Li-Po bat.
Yes, I live in USA right now, I called precision model many times for Mr Hadi's hornet which never get there, but nobody ever pick up the phone! Yes, contact me via email directly and I will glad to help you!

HB Flyer
Old 03-09-2004, 01:13 AM
Xperimental

There's nothing about mounting gyros in the manual! Maybe in a hummingbird manual there is, but there isn't in a feda manual.
Hiks..hiks.... separates? brushless...? DD tail motor...? Li-Po bat...? Only in my dreams.... i don't know how to get them.

Oh ya... mr hadi's hornet? That was suppose to be my hornet! I couldn't wait long enough to try a micro heli, it kept me thinking, if the ARF kit was this long, how long is it going to take for a component!

Oh ya... the gear mesh between tail pinion and tail rotor gear is just right... not too tight and not too loose.... gee... it's weird to hear that you don't neet a lot of right rudder to counter the torque even at full throttle... mine is the opposite of that. Well i'll double check, triple check... and do a trial and error test again... and again... and again....

with all these troubles... i've learned to fly it though.....
Old 03-09-2004, 08:19 AM
HB flyer

hahhh???
was that Hornet suppose to be yours?!/...hmm, i will keep trying to contact them for you! btw, try to push the tail boom to the right and let see if the tail motor try to counter it or not?! that's the easiest way to check that your gyro has been mounted properly or not!
try to set your gyro gain or maybe your tail motor worn out! Just email me directly, and I'll try to help you to get all of those things and I'd like to let you know that you'll need a brushless motor and Li-Po bat. pack to get the best performance of micro heli, either FP or CP! here is my currently set up for my HB:
Hi- Max 2050 4100
PHX 10
DD tail motor, EP 0320
Electri Fly 10A
Li-Po 1200 mAh, 3 cells
Electron Hi-tec 6 ch dual conversion
shorten stell flybar
Piccolo Pro 3D paddles
CF FP Hornet main blades
collars balancer on flybar
oneway hub bearing
ball in swashplate
century gyro
flown with Futaba 9CAP

HB Flyer
Old 03-19-2004, 02:25 PM
scottbla55

actually
the micro helis(i have a hummingbird) are fixed pitch.
they do not have true cyclic pitch( where they main blades change pitch cyclicly)
and they dont have collective pitch at all!(where the main blades change pitch collectively)
so that is why they are actually very hard to fly.
if you can fly a micro you can fly just about anything else.
the flybar is where the cyclic control is .
the tail rotar(which is also fixed pitch) is your rudder control
best bet is to get the g2 software and fly the electric chopper.
this software is amaziing!!!
i have 3 of the add ons and they are just amazing.
Old 04-09-2004, 02:15 AM
tweaksalot

I think i got the same problem except mine just drifts backwards to the left. Its kinda weird, i am gettin a lil frustrated tho
Old 04-09-2004, 05:06 PM
vlaluz
My Feedback: (1)

If you go brushless you need a controller, then a heading hold gyro, then lipoly battery, then you need a tail motor mod and so on until your $230 helicopter has another $450 in mods in it... The hummingbirds fly fine above about one foot, stock except for the swash ball mod and loosening up the cyclic links so they can move freely. As for tail trim, the mixer board sets neutral on power up, so center your rudder trim befor you plug in the battery, then move it back to where it flys straight. This is what works for me, but if your little heli still doesn't fly, I'll give you a dollar for it...
Rad has an excellent program put together, but it just isn't easy to do on these little machines. Double all his timetables, and you would be closer to the truth for this size.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:28 AM
camm

I followed Radds steps and yes the hummer does drift, try putting a little block under the left skid, this tilts the copper to the right slightly and solves the problem, also trim it correctly, do this by holding the hummer by finger and thumb at the back of the frame, just behund the drive wheel and run her at full throttle (hold on thight and watch your fingers on that drive wheel) adjust the trims untill you can hold the hummer relotivly loosly and she wont want to fall out of control, eventaly you should be able to get to a point when your not holding her much at all and she will stay in the hover, drop the throttle, put her back in her box ( thats radds little box on the floor) and try again,

P.S. I broke one of his rules and used the training gear, that way you can lift the skids of the ground but the ball stay put, almost like teathering, worked for me :-)