Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

GWS Direct Drive Tail Rotor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

GWS Direct Drive Tail Rotor

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2004, 08:49 AM
Coasty

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GWS Direct Drive Tail Rotor

I've read a lot about various tail rotor configurations for the Hummingbird. Some run direct drive, some run multiple tail motors, ducted fans, etc. I saw this "gws" Direct Drive High Authority Tail Rotor upgrade for the Dragonfly (EDP50 Motor and 2 ea. EP3020 Props) at http://www.allerc.com/ and was curious if it was worth the $10.00 that they'e asking for it.
Old 03-15-2004, 12:43 PM
scimitar

Default RE: GWS Direct Drive Tail Rotor

well- to be perfectly honest- the stock tail motor is just fine- the only thing is -at least for me - i was going through alot of props with the stock setup- and now with my DD - i rarely bust a prop-- those little orange ones are pretty strong- and i guess a bit more power to the tail never hurts... not an urgent upgrade- but maybe something if you want to experiment... ONE thing that is an urgent upgrade - is to get the g-10 frame from helihobby.com .. the stock frames are just wayyyyyyy too annoying with those glue pipes and the weak carbon rods.....

Hope this helps
Old 03-15-2004, 01:04 PM
helisfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

damn it... the tail on this herlicopter is killing everyone huh? how come no one listen to my suggestion... even though it might sound very odd and complicate.. .but rather spend ur time experience through million of motor trying to find the best one... this is my believe... there is no brush motor will last long due to it size.... to small to do such work...

3 options

1. BUY a new damn helicopter (hornet, zoom, eco)
2. Brushless tail motor (but I still believe that driven shaft tail is still more repsonsive....
3. Convert ur tail to a driven shaft.. (now this can be a little complicated... But i had already plan....
First.. i think we need a new frame.. g-10 would work.. and a hornet main spur gear and hornet tail boom... here come an issue... you have a choice of doing all this work or just buy the hornet kit... But if i buy the kit then it plastic.. which mean it will break anyway... so upgrading your helicopter is more reasonable.. I have a though through my mind.. since my radio is not ready for CPPM.... so.. if anyone is like me.. buy the hornet kit and use it.. but lick the main blade pitch.. and use it as a fix pitch first...
Old 03-15-2004, 02:04 PM
Coasty

damn it... the tail on this herlicopter is killing everyone huh? how come no one listen to my suggestion...
It's not killing me...as I mentioned I'm just curious. MY stock HB flies pretty well as it is, but there's always room for improvement.
Old 03-15-2004, 02:26 PM
crazhorse
My Feedback: (2)

I have the dd tail from allerc, works great....... it does give alot more tail authority. There are many different ways to mount it up from using the stock mounting bracket modified to plastic ball ends from mcmaster carr to nice milled aluminum ones from PMP....
Old 03-15-2004, 07:35 PM
Xperimental

Well direct drive sounds nice... especially since i'd have to buy new stock tail motors one for every 1.5 weeks... In a day i fly from 2-3 times....
My dragonfly flies nicely... it just would be nicer if i didn't have to spend routine purchases of tail motors.
Hey... is there a brushless tail motor? I know that there's alot of brushless motors for the main... but for the tail? That small?
Old 03-15-2004, 08:11 PM
Xperimental

"Some run direct drive, some run multiple tail motors, ducted fans, etc. I saw this "gws" Direct Drive High Authority Tail Rotor upgrade for the Dragonfly (EDP50 Motor and 2 ea. EP3020 Props) at http://www.allerc.com/ and was curious if it was worth the $10.00 that they'e asking for it."

Hey... i saw the dd high authority tail rotor upgrade (edp50 motor and 2 ea. ep3020 props)... anyway... my question is .... doesn't direct drive mean that we get the power of the tail blade directly from the main rotor? Which means we have to have gear upgrades to link the main rotor to the tail rotor? Which means we don't need tail motor anymore?

So what does it mean? "direct drive high authority tail rotor including edp50 motor"?

Correct me if i'm wrong... i'm very new to this... so sorry if i made a mistake....
Old 03-15-2004, 09:22 PM
helisfreak
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Direct tail = stock
Direct drive = mean the tail motor is hook right on to the propeller.. no noise.. more rmp...
Driven shaft tail = using main motor
Old 03-15-2004, 09:47 PM
Xperimental

"Direct tail = stock
Direct drive = mean the tail motor is hook right on to the propeller.. no noise.. more rmp...
Driven shaft tail = using main motor"

Oooh... thank u helisfreak... hey.. isn't it late at night at your location? the opposite from my location +12 hours difference..

so micro helis like hornet, cybercopter, and zoom400 are driven shaft tail....
in that case... the question would be... can we upgrade our dragonflies to have a driven shaft tail? How? Is there an upgrade kit?

anyway that edp50 motor and 2 ea. ep3020 props, how long do they last? Do they only last 15-20 flights like those stock motors?
Old 03-15-2004, 09:50 PM
Super-Hornet

Geared Drive Stock = Stock
Geared Drive Mod = I in the process of doing it. (Hint... I can mount 2 Orange Propeller)

Super-Hornet
Old 03-15-2004, 10:45 PM
Xperimental

superhornet.... are there any way of upgrading the geared drive stock motor on my dragonfly into a shaft driven tail to remove the existence of the stock tail motor? Are there any shaft driven tail upgrades for the dragonfly?

And how long does the edp50 direct driven tail motor last? Will it last longer than the stock tail motor (15-20flights)?
Old 03-15-2004, 11:02 PM
Super-Hornet

Hi Xperimental

When using Direct Shaft/Belt Drive, the speed of the tail blades is in linear with Main Blades. That is when u increase Main motor, tail blades speed also increase. To change yaw movement is to change tail blades pitch. With that, U can't change your Dragonfly (fixed pitch) to Direct Shaft/Belt Drive unless u completely change both Main and Tail section to Collective Pitch.

There is another experimental design where u use Shaft or Belt Driven with Tail Motor for tail blade and the Tail Motor is mounted at the body or near the main motor. Good thing about this design is that:
1. U can have stronger/better motor for tail. (Can be big also)
2. Do not worry about CoGravity because the motor is very close to center.

Disadvantage of this design is that you need to change your tail boom to bigger tubing to accommodate/house your Shaft or Belt. Another method is to drive by long spring. (Similar to those flexible drill)

As for how long do EDP50 last, I will answer you this one later after I finish my tail motor experimental. If other can answer for you, plz go ahead.

Super-Hornet
Old 03-15-2004, 11:27 PM
Xperimental

Oh ya... i just realized that to have a shaft driven tail motor... you need constant speed from main motor which can only be done by collective pitch.
Hmm... hey.. can you make a new thread about your experimental design in details? I'm very interested in learning it.
About the EDP50, i'd still like to know from others who have experienced it...
Old 03-16-2004, 01:48 AM
philpop

works really well. Does anyone know where to get the gws 50 upgrade tail motor for less than $30 AUS?
Phil