Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Trying to build packs.

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Trying to build packs.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2004, 10:46 PM
T-MAXXER
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trying to build packs.

What do you use to solder the bars to the cells with. I have a 150 to 250 wat soldering gun and it seems to heat cells up tooo much. What is a good thing to make cross bars out of.[:@]
Old 04-03-2004, 01:25 AM
Jerrykl720

Default RE: Trying to build packs.

To solder the battery tab , is better to use 60- 80 Watt soldering iron.
The 60 watt give u more time to solder it . It is great for begainer!
Old 04-03-2004, 02:07 AM
FHHuber
Banned

Its not the soldering iron... more power in the iron should make the ob faster and easier without heating hte cell iteslf. With the more powerful soldering iron, you heat the local area QUICK and can get the solder to melt faster... and less heat is conducted into the cell.

The problem is more likely improper or inadequate preparation of the surface you are putting the solder on. Some solder tabs need to be LIGHTLY ground with a dremel cut-off wheel to rought them up to get some sort of surface layer off. (you can also buff the surface with 400 grit emery cloth) Why the manufacturers use the metal that needs this treatment... I have no idea. It works well witht he high speed spot-welder process used to attach the tab to the cell, but its a nightmare to solder to the tab if you don't know how.
Old 04-03-2004, 09:45 AM
Tubes

I agree with FHHuber. I have made many pack with a 125 - 200 watt "gun" style soldering iron. I prefer it over a 60 watt iron because I can get the solder on the cell before the cell itself heats up. If you heat the crap out of a cell, you will damage it. Make sure that both surfaces being soldered are clean, make sure there is a good tip on the soldering iron, and make sure you are using rosin core solder.
Have fun!

Reuben
Old 04-03-2004, 08:33 PM
T-MAXXER
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for info made my first working pack today. Getting better with new iron now.
Old 04-04-2004, 04:55 AM
Banished Outside

Tubes,

Why rosin core solder?

This is classed as unsafe in the UK due to the fumes! We have had to go rosin free at work even with fume extraction.

Steve
Old 04-06-2004, 09:04 PM
Tubes

Wow... That is too bad. I guess your government does not think that you can take care of your self either and has to make stupid laws to "protect" you. [:'(] That is all that I use. I and everyone I know uses it, and I am in the electrical profession! You can use regular solder and flux paste, but who wants to for regular wires and stuff, what a pain! I will try to smuggle some "dangerous" rosin core solder over there for you next time I visit the UK. [8D]

Reuben
Old 04-07-2004, 07:06 AM
Prozak

The UK is usually a lot better about protecting their people. They have several things banned there that are still legal in the U.S.A Using mercury to fill in teeth is one of them. Also, I think they've banned bleaching your teeth there as well.