Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

How High ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2004, 04:16 AM
MrT

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How High ???

Guys,

Just curious to know, How high do you normaly fly your Micro Heli ?

Any altitude records to record here ?

Cheers,

MrT
Old 05-14-2004, 07:13 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: How High ???

DANGER Will Robinson DANGER

Never respond to the question of how high by saying, I don't know. Let's see.

Let me just tell you that your perspective looking up at the flat rotor disk is COMPLETELY different from flying at about eye level and looking at the rotor disk mostly edge on. Let me also tell you that I CANNOT keep a stable hover looking up at the rotor disk. This turned out to be an unplanned upgrade opportunity for me. :-(

I mostly fly between 3 and 15 feet.
Old 05-14-2004, 07:38 AM
jbalat

Vince is right, once you get above head height it is hard to keep a hover so you need to get it moving right away.

I would normally fly the dragonfly at around 20-30 feet high at around 10-15km/hr. Slow continuous circuits in one direction are quite easy to manage with a little right aileron and right rudder to keep the nose always pointing in the direction you are travelling or just a bit over for a great looking side slip effect. Its then a smaller circuit with less power to bring it down. You constantly need to hold in forward pitch otherwise you get a pitch up stall...

When I stop moving or change directions I am not exactly sure what to do next. Its then that I get myself in trouble and usually crash. I look so awkward up there I deserve to crash anyway!
Old 05-14-2004, 10:12 AM
Super-Hornet

Hi MrT

I once lend my Dragonfly for someone to try, he overpowered my chopper too much that it flies straight up and hit the ceiling (Indoor Gym or about 3 Storey high?) and dropped down and hit the floor.

Super-Hornet
Old 05-14-2004, 12:43 PM
marked23

I've been in a hover about 100ft above my cul-de-sac. I agree that it gets pretty hairy to maintain a hover if it's directly above you... so in this case, the heli was also 100ft in front of me. So I was looking at it at about a 45deg angle. The worst part is trying to hover down from that height. This was with a HB v.II. The fixed pitch heli gets sloppy once you reduce rotor speed enough to descend. Plus, your rotor blades are falling through their own prop wash. It's a real chore to bring it down. Forward flight would have brought it down much more nicely, but my skills aren't there yet.

-Mark