Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Piccolo, Hummingbird or Aerohawk?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Piccolo, Hummingbird or Aerohawk?

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 05:03 AM
MJFinegan
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Piccolo, Hummingbird or Aerohawk?

Thinking of getting into heli. Would any of these (piccolo, hummingbird, aerohawk) be suitable for a novice? Pros and cons of any of these would be appreciated.
I do have a sim so I can practice wrecking virtual helicopters before I try wrecking the real thing :-)

tia
Mike
Old 05-26-2004, 06:03 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Piccolo, Hummingbird or Aerohawk?

Hi Mike,
You will wreck the real thing anyway! ;-)
I fly the piccolo and have worked a bit with the HB and both of those work well. Most of the current crop of micros will work if set up properly. One common downfall is that people don't realize that they must be a heli mechanic before they can be a heli pilot. Learning to setup and troubleshoot issues with the micros is more important that piloting skills. Of course, you have to learn both at the same time.
One thing that you can do to heli is to start out with LiPo batteries. These give you more power for their weight, so there is a little more fudge room in your setup. You will still want to learn how to set up the heli perfectly, removing all power-robbing vibration, riction, and blade tracking problems. But it is hard to do that at the beginning, and if you start out with the lighter, more powerful LiPos, your setup can be a little less that perfect and the heli will still be flyable.
Which sim? Any is fine so long as you are using a transmitter (or transmitter dummy box) as the controls.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:01 AM
chrisleeja

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Vince,
Would it be possible for you to post some close up pictures of your piccolo i just wanted to see how it is set up. I am having some problems with my Pro Piccolo maybe you could help me....

Chris
Old 05-27-2004, 08:02 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Chrisleeja,
e-mail me at vinceherman @ removethis.yahoo.com
If you are up for a phone call, I can blab your ear off with advice. (gotta love free long distance)
I can post all the pictures you want, but I have a FP ECO Piccolo with seperates, so I am not sure how well they will translate to your Pro.
Do you have heli experience? If not, buy a fun kit, put the Pro away until you learn to troubleshoot the mechanics on the simpler FP heli, and learn to fly. THEN get the CP bird back out. This will be a much more economical way to learn that buying many replacement blades for the CP. And if you triwst up the CP mechanics, your economical loss will be even worse.
Start with a FP, and don't move to CP until you get through heli mechanics school, and heli piloting school.
But send me an e-mail.