Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
 Shogun 400 performance setup >

Shogun 400 performance setup

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Shogun 400 performance setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2004, 01:03 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shogun 400 performance setup

I realize that this heli is new (and still not widely released) but I am interested in getting into electric helis. My experience is strictly with gas powered flight but this helicopter has caught my attention.

Has anyone experimented with hopping up this heli with engine, LiPo batteries, etc? If so, would you mind giving me a break down on what I need to buy? I have a 9z Heli radio and all the gear for my full size helis but would need everything for the new electric, and I would like it to be a performer.

What micro flight gear do you recommend? FMA Direct? Cirrus?

Is the stock motor the best ticket, or is there one that I can upgrade to that would provide more power?

I have heard a lot of people talking about LiPo batteries and I did some browsing at FMA Direct (I think) and read some stories where people were getting almost twice as much flight time and more power out of these cells? Is that fact or fiction, and will they work on helicopters? (I only see planes listed as examples)

Can I use a HH Gyro? I have read that the Futaba 240 is being used. Is this too big for the Shogun 400? Is there another, possibly better gyro that you all recommend?

Anything else for the wish list? I'd really like to jump into this and I would appreciate any tips on what to purchase as I don't know much about electrics (yet!).

Thanks!
Old 06-02-2004, 04:43 PM
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Shogun 400 performance setup

My recipe for fun There are others. but this is working for me.
Hacker B20 15L brushless motor with a 9t/48p pinion
Castle Creations Phoenix 25 electronic speed control (ESC)
Berg DSP III 6 channel reciever with Berg xtal
Hitec HS-56 servos on Channels 1,2 and 6. Hitec HS-50 on channel 4
Futaba GY-401 HH gyro (No digital servo - just the gyro)
MJP Carbon CF T/R pushrod, CF boom support DIY kit. CF Gyro/Servo platform, Horizontal and vertical CF fin set (The vertical CF fin is 1/2" longer than stock and the stock fin is flimsy G-10 and doesn't do the job of protecting the T/R)
Apogee 830mah 3s lipPolys or ThunderPower 1320mah 3s Lipoly packs.
Upgrades to CF main rotor blades, HP T/R input crown gear and the HP hardened steel main shaft, CF tail boom with three ball bearings, are all desireable.

Get out the wallet and have fun

Cheers - Boyd
Old 06-02-2004, 06:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Frisk151

I'm using the Hacker B20 15L. 10 pinion 13-15 min flights 2200rpm headspeed.

Neil
Old 06-03-2004, 12:36 AM

Neil,

What batteries are you using and how do you have your ESC, throttle/pitch curves set up? I'm running a Hacker B20 18L with 10T pinion and ThunderPower 3s1p 1320s and getting 11min flight times, but my batteries are getting real hot (as high as 170 deg).
Are you running in Governor mode? If you do, at what % do you have your throttle set to?

Thanks,

John