Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

new

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2004, 08:37 PM
rustler08-delete
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new

hi. i want to start with helis. i have no heli experience at all. and i want to teach my self. so which of these helis should i get?

[link=http://www.hobbyjapan2000.com/store/products.php?id=6]lotta helicopters[/link]
Old 12-01-2004, 11:41 PM
ozandy

Default RE: new

Rustler,

I'll start the ball rolling: Chances are you will want a Fixed Pitch (FP) heli to start with rather then a Collective Pitch (CP). The learning curve for helis is huge so don't think you will grow out of it too soon. FP are cheaper, easier to fly "out of the box" (without hours of tweaking to get flyable) and will allow you to hover indoors.
I have been told the Zoom/Zap 400 is too large for indoors, and its a more advanced CP 3D heli anyway, not a beginners heli.
Of the list on the page you linked to, I reckon only 1, 2 or 4. (4 may be the best quality, but this is based on heresay and BB list research only!)
Note that these are all "micro" helis which although cheap, are not the best for stability and as such are not ideal for learning. Having said that, the little ones are very cheap to both buy and repair. A larger trainer such as the famous "Corona" would seem to be more suitable, but it depends on your budget.
The only reason I got back into helis at all was because of the price and indoor ability; if this means a tradeoff in crashes and skill, so be it!
Best advice is use Google heaps and keep researching!
Old 12-01-2004, 11:48 PM
rustler08-delete
Banned

name other good ones too please.
Old 12-02-2004, 12:02 AM
ozandy

Sorry, my experience is limited to the Esky 3D in micro helis and an ancient un-named nitro heli. I have done many hours internet research however.
Google "good beginner heli" or "best beginner heli" and then read for about 3 hours. Check the dates on BB posts! (old ones may be superceded)
There really is not "right" answer unless you state indoor/outdoor and your intended future direction, and budget.
Old 12-02-2004, 07:08 AM
nlhall

I'm new to RC Heli's as well, about 2-3 months ago i got a Jabo2, i don’t have enough space indoor to fly it so i'm restricted to the back garden, but I've read up alot on it, it seem very stable, i've crashed it quite a few times (thats my ability in question not the heli) and parts are very cheep and easy to come by. but be warned you will go through a lot of tail motors, although i have found some good ones that seem to last.

this is of course only based on my limited experience, but i'm more than happy with it.
Old 12-02-2004, 08:45 AM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good ones would include
Hummingbird FP
Piccolo V2 (or Fun with some simple upgrades/mods)
Old 12-04-2004, 08:47 PM
X_Barry69

Hi Rustler,

I would recomend that you get the Century Hummingbird V3, I got mine through the post about 3 days ago and am loving it. I have been flying IC Helicopters for around 3 Years now, But flying in doors is a nice change.
I would recomend that you get some training undercarriage legs though and dont be cocky like me and think that because you fly IC helis you can instantly fly Electric LOL Alot of difference.
Hope this helps mate, Let us know how you get on. Ill Post some vids of my bird when i send them to the pc from my phone.

Barry
Old 12-21-2004, 11:14 PM
MBX5T Maniac
My Feedback: (-1)

hi people. help me choose
Old 12-21-2004, 11:49 PM
PiedmontQC

For what it's worth- 2 weeks ago I bought a GWS Dragonfly from my LHS.
I have a total of 3 battery packs and have flown it every day since I got it.
Total of about 50 flights. Only damage so far has been 1 set of main rotor
blades and broken landing struts. The tail motor is holding up fine so far
and the rotor blades are $12 at my LHS.Many Century Hummingbird parts
are interchangable with the GWS, including the rotor blades, tail motor,
main motor, battery holder, and landing gear.

During these past 2 weeks I have learned to hover for a full battery pack.
I can do slow forward flight, and land on various pieces of funiture in my
living room. This is not a huge room and it's full of funiture. I have crashed
into everything and the Dragonfly keeps on flying.

.................................................. ........................................Al T.