Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Shogun headspeed?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Shogun headspeed?

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 12:50 AM
dgoss

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shogun headspeed?

Can someone tell me the target ranges for the Shogun headspeed? Looking for a bottom end to start with, a good min. to get used to the ship. Would also love to hear what acceptable min. should be and max. without tail mods.

Thanks!
d.
Old 12-30-2004, 12:01 PM
PencilShavings

Default RE: Shogun headspeed?

stock motor? i would spool it up to 100% throttle by mid stick

my friend has one, he just put a brushless motor in it and is very pleased with it. the helicopters do much better with the headspeed up around 2000 or a more, but then you get tail buzzing problems and such
check here for that http://www.raymondstacy.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=194

i think the brushed will only take it to 2000 tops

go as high as you can basically, unless the tail gets really bad
Old 12-30-2004, 12:49 PM
dgoss

No, this one is brushless Himax 2025/4200 from a Phoenix 25 ESC.

So you're saying that ~2000 is a good spot for this model? Do you have any idea what min. is so that it still has manouverability (in "normal" manouvers) - 1500?

Thanks,
d.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:02 AM
PencilShavings

i would still run that motor up HIGH by half stick, unless you get tail problems..basically the higher the better. my friend had his around 1700 to 1800 with the stock motor, and the cyclic was squishy in a hover, he never tried FF with it.

at the very mininum 1800 (especially outside). with some tail gears, and moving the supports back, you shouldnt have any problems running at 100% throttle mid stick and above, and the head speed will only help with control, i've heard those helis really come alive at 2000+

what blades do you have? upgraded blades would also help too, i dont think the stock ones are very good..
Old 12-31-2004, 01:15 AM
dgoss

I have a tach coming and will see what this thing will do at 100% - I would think that I want to optimally run the motor at 85% or so for efficiency and to give the speed control some headroom. I would adjust what I get at 85% throttle with the gearing. As far as my blades, I've got a carbon fiber set that are coming off until I get this thing setup and am more comforable with it (no need trashing $60 blades right away). I agree the stock ones blow but I am planning on using some generic brand wood ones (sized for shogun) for a bit to play around incase there's a mishap
Old 12-31-2004, 01:00 PM
PencilShavings

sounds good. with good blades, maybe a few tail mods if needed, and a head speed over 2000, i think you will be pleased
Old 01-08-2005, 02:44 AM
jeaton01
My Feedback: (1)

Where do you get the wooden blades?
My Shogun seems to be very good, I had it set up at the lhs where I bought it and it's 100% stock, came with the 45 tail gears. Been through two sets of those RIDICULOUS stock main rotor blades, they just explode if they touch anything. I showed them to APC at the factory to see if they would make blades, but they are already selling more props than they can make and also felt that these blades made by simple injection molding machines, not the gigantic megabuck ones they use, should be sufficient and not retail for more than 8 or 10 dollars. Wrecks my day to see 26 bucks vanish in an impact the dragonfly blades would just shrug off! I must have a good stock motor because although I haven't tached it the pitch, roll, and collective are very active. Using a JR 622 radio. Longtime R/C fixed wing flyer, but no R/C helicopter skills except the building side. I may be too old for this, but the Shogun is a good enough flying machine to let me test that. I have two dragonflies but the no collective bit is a waste IMHP, and tail rotor resonse is sluggish using the tail rotor motor setup.