Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Dragonfly tail motor

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Dragonfly tail motor

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2005, 01:55 PM
Rambo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dragonfly tail motor

I read somewhere in this forum that the person was trying or thinking of trying the little 3volt motors from All Electronics in place of the N20 tail motors.If you read this and they work i would appreciate knowing about it and if possible the part number.Also anyone tried any other tail rotors such as the ones that come on a rubberband balsa model?I figure the pitch will be too high but who knows.In closing i like my 2 dragonfly's alot but by far the most maintenance i'm getting is from the tail.Thanks
Old 01-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Dylwad
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Dragonfly tail motor

you can use the low voltage N20s, as long as you use two of them and wire them in series with each other, www.like90.com and www.helihobby.com both sell dual tail motor kits for this purpose. GWS makes a tail shaft/prop replacement kit that uses a 6x5 GWS prop as a tail rotor http://www.allerc.com/product_info.p...oducts_id=1209

Most of us just use the IPS motor direct drive, you lose a bit of flight time, have to re-balance the heli, but its an easy mod and easy to find parts, plus gets rid of the gears on the tail.

Dylan
Old 01-07-2005, 09:42 AM
Aerohawk

Direct Drive tail is the way to go. Nearly all micro helis now come with direct drive motor and prop. The new 2004 GWS Dragonfly comes with upgrade which includes a GWS ep-4530 prop. Go for this prop as it is slightly bigger than the small props which are contained in the GWS direct drive kit, therefore providing more thrust and lowering RPM of motor.

I have had over 100 flights with my dragonfly and haven't yet had to replace tail motor!!!! It is fully optioned with brushless setup razor v2 main motor. I am running 7.4v 1900mah li-ion packs and get 30 min flights!!!! I fly it outside like a plane doing circuits and taking it up to 100+ feet altitude! It rocks!

Cheers
Alan
Old 01-07-2005, 02:05 PM
Shard

You do not need to use a dual motor setup for those motors to work... they're exactly the same as the stock ones... but dual motor setup will extend the life of the motors
Old 01-07-2005, 02:48 PM
Dylwad

The stock N20 motor is a 7.2 volt with carbon brushes, the motors from allelectronics are a 3 volt with wiper brushes. they are not the same and will not work the same, the dual motor option was thought up as a way to use the cheap low voltage motors.

try the 3 volt on its own,and it wont last long.

Dylan
Old 01-07-2005, 08:27 PM
Rambo-RCU
My Feedback: (1)

Thanks for the info guy's. I'll probably just try and find a good replacement that i don't have to replace so often.I guess brushless is pretty much out of the question huh?
Old 01-07-2005, 09:14 PM
Dylwad

I ran a brushless for a while with excellent results, both geared and direct drive. The new short feigao 12mm brushless looks perfect for using geared on the tail with minimal weight gain over the N20 motors.

After i got the T-rex, i see no tail motors in my future, ever again.

Dylan