Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Thinking about getting a trex...what type of radio will i need?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Thinking about getting a trex...what type of radio will i need?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 01:28 PM
micron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about getting a trex...what type of radio will i need?

Im considering buying a trex after my hornet has failed me miserably. How many channels do i need on my radio? Any recommended models?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:52 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Thinking about getting a trex...what type of radio will i need?

Micron, Im curious, what happened to your hornet? I've been kinda flipping back and forth between a hornet 2 and a shogun. Was it a problem you had with the hornet, or just didnt like the way it flew?

Oh, and for the trex....minimum of 7ch, but I'd recommend a 9ch. This way you have room to grow. Its cheaper to buy one good radio than 3-4 ok ones. Get the absolute best radio you can reasonably afford. Most folks like the Futaba 9CAP/CHP, its a excellent radio with lots of extras, and its really easy to program.
Old 03-07-2005, 08:24 PM
VinceHerman

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Futaba 9CH has served me very well with my various helis and airplanes.

T-Rex
Mega 16/15/3 motor
Castle Creations Phoenix35 ESC
ThunderPower 3s 2100 Gen2 batteries
Futaba gy401 gyro
Hitec HS50 servo for the tail (shrinkwrapped to keep it from pulling apart)
Futaba 3108 (x3) servos for cyclic and colective (could easily be Hitec 56BB)
Old 03-07-2005, 09:20 PM
micron

Well i have the FP hornet. After starting out w/ a FP piccolo i figured id get the Hornet as a step up, then upgrade it to the CP when i was ready.

I've spent 5 times the money on my hornet and it has yet to have a successful flight. I heard such great things about it but i've found it to be a real pain in the neck. I bought every tail upgrade there is (aluminum gear box, aluminum bellcrank, dual bearing slider, ti shaft).....and i finally tamed the tail. But then every time i tried to lift off it would just drift backwards no matter how much cyclic i gave. Well i had the CG way off b/c my tail servo was near the end of the boom (like i saw in so many pics), but b4 i realized i destroyed my FG blades and stripped like every gear with one semi-hard landing. More $$$$...

This thing is just too finicky. I figure if i get a trex, i'll be set for a long time.

By the way, b4 anyone replied i saw on a web store that sells the trex, that you need a 6ch radio for it...is this so??

I was looking at the hitec optic or laser 6. What do you guys think? I wont have a ton of money after the kit and seperates.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:13 AM
Norrmannen

ORIGINAL: bdavison

Oh, and for the trex....minimum of 7ch, but I'd recommend a 9ch.
I believe you only need 6 in fact....if not what are you using no 7 for ?
Throttle,pitch, elevator, aileron, rudder and gyro sens makes 6 so actually you can manage on 5....

On the other hand I myself "invested" in a JR9 for future needs so I agree on that part.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:06 AM
Jemo
My Feedback: (5)

If you plan on staying in the hobby, get yourself a good radio. Your tastes will change from time to time so consider one with multiple software. I fly JR myself but either JR or Futaba radios are great.

Another thing to consider is if you do decide to quit flying, it is a lot easier to sell a good radio.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:15 AM
ClemenTang

Hey unless you'll fly some specialty a/c ($$$) otherwise what are you going to ever need the 7th channel and all those bells and whistles for? I've seen many fly all their various a/c's with the same good ole 6CH, 7CH or 8CH, fit for the job. Ask yourself what's your type? If you'll quit the hobby one day don't invest too much now. If you grow you can always buy that better radio which will be even better and cheaper by then. The Rx and servos you bought today are not redundant, only that Tx might get a little outdated but you can always use it for sim, or you might get a friend into the hobby and teach him to fly with a buddy cord. Of course if you're allergic to money get all the best stuff you can like some of those beginners with the 10CH and flies a turbine.

Clement
Old 03-08-2005, 11:07 AM
bdavison

Doh...your right 6ch...

where did I get 7 from?
Speed controller, Collective, Pitch, Roll, Yaw, and Gyro. Yup...that makes 6.

Well you could use the 7th channel to run the "accesories"
Technically you could run 5ch if you locked the collective and ran it fixed pitch. Can you even do this on the Trex? I know the hornet is capable of this, if I remember correctly.
Old 03-08-2005, 12:08 PM
Pathogens
Banned

Technically you could run 5ch if you locked the collective and ran it fixed pitch. Can you even do this on the Trex? I know the hornet is capable of this, if I remember correctly.
Why would you even think about fixed pitch.. Even if you could convert the trext to fixed pitch, why in the hell would you want to. Just the thought of you suggesting this shows that you have very little knoweldge about helis..

bdavision. I have seen what you have posted a couple of other times(heli stand comes to mind), and man, please stop giving advice to new guys because you have little to no clue of what you are speaking.

Well you could use the 7th channel to run the "accesories"
Why would you possibly want to run an "accessory" on a micro heli. Isnt the point to keep weight to a minimum? there is no need for "accessories" on a micro heli unless you are some type of geek that has to put all types of crap on it.

Ok. botton line. You NEED only 5, yes... only 5 channels for the trex...
What these guys said above about buying the best radio that you can afford is completly correct. I personally suggest the JR 9303. If you are on a budget, check out the JR 6102.

Speed controller, Collective, Pitch, Roll, Yaw, and Gyro. Yup...that makes 6.
You do not need a seperate channel for the gyro. Its nice if you have that extra channel for the gain off the gyro, but truthfully, I "Set and forget" the gyro. no need for an extra channel.

Oh, and for the trex....minimum of 7ch, but I'd recommend a 9ch
wrong again. dude.

3 strikes and you are out and wrong.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:04 PM
micron

well i've been looking at the optic 6. it looks pretty sweet and its only $150 w/ reciever. Plus its spectra compatible and has a 8 model memory.

I cant afford the 250 for radio after getting the kit and all the seperates!!! What the heck do you all do for a living??!! Some high rollers on this forum. I have to pay my mortgage and every other bill know to man. I dont even have kids yet....i better stock up now!! ...lol

So anyone have any input on the optic 6 here's a link: http://servocity.com/html/6-ch_optic_6_systems.html

thanks for the help.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:14 PM
Pathogens
Banned

That radio looks pretty sweet. Will totally work for ya.. Even has a timer on it..sweet....

I cant afford the 250 for radio after getting the kit and all the seperates!!! What the heck do you all do for a living??!! Some high rollers on this forum. I have to pay my mortgage and every other bill know to man. I dont even have kids yet....i better stock up now!! ...lol
Dude..You are not alone...trust me...
Old 03-08-2005, 04:58 PM
Norrmannen

Have seen some packages on ebay with a Futuba 6 ch also but check them out well, some come with no good servoes (esky) and from experience I'd say skip the Align gyro, at least the cheapest one. If you really have to stick to a limit you can do well for a long time with a 6 ch tx and spend $ 40-50 extra on a good gyro. (Tho I just love my new JR9X...)
I took a chance on the package not realizing it was esky and not align servos. Have replaced all the servos, the tailservo twice. Now I'm buying a new gyro so $100 wasted on crappy servoes and gyro...
Old 03-08-2005, 06:51 PM
dgswheels

if you decide on a 7 channel let me know i was just getting ready to list my futaba 7CHP heli computer transmitter on ebay. i was using it with me t-rex with great results but just received a 9C for a gift. if interested let me know. it is only a month old and comes with manuel, box, and charger and i would let it go for 125.00. thanks darryl [email protected]
Old 03-08-2005, 07:01 PM
jamesotron

I'm running a Hitec Electron 6 receiver and an Eclipse 7 Tx with spectra (the spectra means no more swapping crystals!) on my Trex. Hitec seems to make very good quality gear that compares very favourably with Futaba and JR on pricing, and _everyone_ here seems to be running Hitec servos - read into that what you will.

My two cents worth (hrmm, NZ$ so depending in the currency rate your' mileage may vary).
Old 03-09-2005, 10:58 AM
micron

Thanks again for the input guys.

if you decide on a 7 channel let me know i was just getting ready to list my futaba 7CHP heli computer transmitter on ebay. i was using it with me t-rex with great results but just received a 9C for a gift. if interested let me know. it is only a month old and comes with manuel, box, and charger and i would let it go for 125.00. thanks darryl [email protected]
Sounds good! I'll drop you a line today so we can discuss further.

So here's what i have for the project so far,

futaba gy240, 4 hitec hs-55 servos, thunder power 3s 1200 li-po, eflight hacker 3700kv BL motor w/ eflight 25amp BL esc....how does this gear sound? Good fit for the trex?

As far as my understanding goes, all i need now is the trex kit and Tx/Rx. Unless you guys feel some of the above equipment is inadequate for the trex....

all opinions appreiciated!!

thanks.

Old 03-10-2005, 12:03 PM
hikscub

Optic 6

Price is great, works great.