Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

WALKERA DRAGONFLY 22D FLYS GREAT!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

WALKERA DRAGONFLY 22D FLYS GREAT!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 07:55 PM
predman
My Feedback: (7)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default WALKERA DRAGONFLY 22D FLYS GREAT!!!

Just received a new one today,flew inside the house and outside ,flies great!!! I had another one i got last week and flew and crashed,and crashed and crashed!!! Maybe it wasnt set-up right,saved for parts. I was determined to get one of these to fly so in spite of what i read i bought another. Got it today,charged battery up and flew in my living room,it took off straight in the air w no vibration or other complications,got brave and hit the couch w the tail. Started up again and it spun in circles, The tail gear box came loose,tightened and started up and hovered w ease! Took outside and it flew great!!! Was a little windy but was still stable in flight,did not crash once! Even landed perfect! I guess my experience from my 1st one prepared me for my second. I save to always buy 2 of just about anything that flys,and use one as a "practice,crashing,training,throwing because i get frustrated,then saving for parts because i bought another one" Anyway i like it!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 10:07 PM
ny_racer_xxx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: WALKERA DRAGONFLY 22D FLYS GREAT!!!

Pred, I plan on buying one by the end of the week, I assume you got it on ebay? Which guy?
I think it's hit or miss with the knock offs...

Racer....
Old 03-09-2005, 01:12 AM
predman

I got mine off ebay from cahobby. Still working fine!!!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:18 AM
predman

Also i found out the main blades need to be tight but w some give this eliminates wobble!
Old 03-09-2005, 05:38 PM
ny_racer_xxx

Pred, they nail you with duties or any other import tax bologna?

Racer...
Old 03-09-2005, 05:43 PM
ny_racer_xxx

Pred, I can't find that seller, do you have a link?

Racer..
Old 03-10-2005, 12:24 AM
draymun

You can buy them from www.hobbyjapan2000.com shipping is about $20. With customs clearance delivery to US in about 1 week or so. I've brought many heli's from them recently to outfit all my friends. Service is good... Only problem to correct is their funny setup for the TX. I call it Mode X. Easy enough to fix though.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:40 AM
predman

Thats the place!!!! Sorry i have been having major computer connection problems!!! I have been flying this thing in house and outside I really like it!!! Just be careful as the tail rod piece is very hard to find! If you can hover a heli fairly good i dont think you will have a prob. Remember after every small fender bender check to see if everything is A+OK! And charge that battery before you fly,mine charges in about an hour but check as it will get hot!!! And w a freshly charged battery,go slow as you rev up,too hard and it will go through the roof! The moter does get hot so land and let cool off a bit. Enloy!!!
Old 03-10-2005, 04:30 AM
cptsnoopy

Hi pred,

sounds good! I just won a used 22d on ebay for $87. the guy was afraid to fly it for fear of smashing it to pieces... I can't blame him. until i started using the G2 simulator i was really afraid to fly my gas powered shuttle several years ago. I have not flown heli's in a long time and i was given a walkera dragonfly #4 a couple of weeks ago. I was suprised how well it flew after balancing the main blades. the only problems so far is that both servos died and were replaced by brand names servos. the tail rotor motor died but after taking it apart to find nothing wrong it started working again when it was reassymbled. i am hoping that the 22d will be a better quality heli compared to the #4. it is good to see your having fun!
Old 03-10-2005, 05:59 AM
batfalcon

ORIGINAL: cptsnoopy

I was suprised how well it flew after balancing the main blades.....
Can you please explain HOW someone balance the main blades ? Please try to be as specific as possible. Is there a easy made device to help on this ?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 03-10-2005, 03:20 PM
predman

I was watching that one on ebay too! But when you get it make sure everything runs right,if its wobbly as you rev up make sure the blades are straight and kinda tight w a little give,mine lifts straight up. This heli is pretty durable,ive only been flying these things for a bit and in my opinion this one works well. The tail rod and hub piece is difficult to find so be real careful not to crash on the tail cause if breaks finding one will be hard,hope some more turn up! Was thinking of ordering the hornet 2 tail gear box and such so i can use theirs.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:52 PM
Justwonderin

hi pred, i have a few questions. I was wondering if this can take any wind or no. also how long does teh battery last? Before you bought your heli what other options were you thinking about. I am only 15 and am looking for either a slow stick plane or a heli. The site you show has a price a little to high for me. Do you know if ebay is alot cheaper? thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 05:29 PM
ny_racer_xxx

Thanks for all the info Pred. What do they nail you for on the duty, is it that included in that $20? By the tail rod piece, do you mean the tail boom? I know you can buy generic carbon tubes...
Snoop, good luck with it, I was watching it too!!!

Racer...
Old 03-10-2005, 07:28 PM
R-Rudder

The stock battery 9.6V will last under 5 minutes max. This helicopter can take very very light breeze.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:28 PM
ny_racer_xxx

Dray, what's the setup problem with the TX and how can it be fixed? Did the 22D you ordered come with a seperate RX or is it a combo TX/Speed/Gyro?

Racer..
Old 03-12-2005, 03:16 AM
predman

I get my 10 minute flights w my battery i land periodically to let the moter cool and mine came w heat sinks.Still going strong!!! The tail part i mean is the metal hub tail shaft. Its a pretty strong heli but not for a beginner,i started w the rotofly learned on that, and that thing still flies awesome in house and outside w a little breeze.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:22 AM
cptsnoopy

thanks for the tips predman! I plan on going over this thing with a fine tooth comb. looking especially at the gears to see if they have been stripped. I got a little concerned when i realized some of the pictures where of the 22a. I feel that was somewhat miss-leading.
I am also wondering if this is the early version with all plastic gears. I expect that it is. I am hoping for the best and expecting a bit less. In anycase I hope I can get some quality flights with it.

Batfalcon, for my heli I took the mainblades off of the hub and put them on a gram scale. I used some 220 sandpaper to sand off just a little bit from the leading and trailing edges of the heavy blade until it matched the light blade to the gram. I did not concern myself about the center of gravity of each blade. when i put them back on I tightened the hub screws as much as I dared and have had much better luck not getting the death wobbles...

thanks for the good thoughts ny_racer_xxx!
Old 03-12-2005, 07:27 PM
cptsnoopy

just a quick update...

I received the used 22D today! the shipping was very fast. after looking it over I was impressed that the guy had the main gear and tail boom gears set so there was very little slop and the main rotor mast was set so it could not go up and down and strip the gears. the tail gears are silver so I guess they may be metal but it is hard to tell. the heli was in pretty good shape overall with only one broken part. The plate that the cyclic servo arms attach to had the back pole that rides in the slot up and down broken off. I was able to cut one of the cf training legs and use a short piece of it to glue onto the plate. it is not a perfect replacement but it may work until a replacement plate can be bought. I tried flying it but the gyro is not tuned quite right so it is unstable in yaw. I will be reading up on the forums here to see what has been done to get it right.
Old 03-12-2005, 08:45 PM
ny_racer_xxx

Snoop, this place had the best pictures and descriptions for 22d parts I've found. http://stores.ebay.com/wholesale-hob...Q3amesstQQtZkm

I haven't bought anything from them yet, but you could match the part numbers to Hobby Japans part numbers....

Racer...
Old 03-12-2005, 10:05 PM
cgc419

I have a dragonfly 22d myself, although at the moment I'm having some minor issues. I like the heli though, it's a lot of fun. It amazes me how expensive parts are to upgrade! After deciding I could'nt justify 100$ on this budget heli for a CNC tail setup, I ordered up a tail gear box and bell crank from the hornet II for my dragonfly(20$ worth of parts). My first tail gear box broke, then I replaced it with a dragonfly one, but the bell crank wouldn't fit on it, the diameter was to small. So after shaving the gear box down a bit I got it to work- but not too good. I suspect there is some friction on the bell crank because the rear rotor won't always return to a vertical neutral position. Because of this I can't get the damn thing to stop rotating! If I move the trim one to the left it rotates one way, trim one to the right it rotates the other way... So hopefully the hornet gear box/bell crank works better and solves my problem... I also ordered some aluminum tail and horizontal fins to replace the flimsy plastic ones. I'll let you guys know how it goes and if the hornet II tail works well on the dragonfly...
Old 03-12-2005, 11:25 PM
predman

If it is a bit unstable in the "yaw" check to see the gyro in not moving around much,i put a little hot glue and secured it that way it isnt moving around too much as the plate it rests on is a little flimsy.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:30 AM
cptsnoopy

ORIGINAL: predman

If it is a bit unstable in the "yaw" check to see the gyro in not moving around much,i put a little hot glue and secured it that way it isnt moving around too much as the plate it rests on is a little flimsy.
thanks predman, i'll see what i can do. I am actually flying it in small test hops in the living room and I was able to get the gyro to stablize a bit but it is still more unstable than the dragonfly 4. I did have a problem with the tail rotor setup. the little arms that control the tail rotor pitch came off the sliding hub and then I could only turn one way. the funny part is that I think it was that way the whole time and i did not notice. I was able to clean it up good and use a smidgen of ca glue to hold it against the hub like it should be. I was able to get a couple of hovering flights close to 1 minute but most of the hops were just a couple of seconds. if the tail would stay still it would be much easier. the other thing i noticed about this heli is that the rotor head is sloppy on the bearings where it snaps over them. my dragonfly 4 is a much better fit. what i ought to do is put the dragonfly 4 head and blades on the 22D because i think that they are the same exact fit. I'll let you all know. oh, forgot to mention, this 22D was used when i bought it and it came with two battery packs. one of the packs charged fine and then the other did not. turned out the charger went belly up after charging the first pack. luckely the smaller charger from the dragonfly 4 will charge the bigger 9.6v packs too.

ny_racer_xxx, thanks for the link, i'll check it out.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:03 AM
predman

As you give a little more throtttle it becomes more stable. I can always hover mine really well at about a little over 2 ft, under that i think its a little unstable. This heli is heavier and bigger than the #4 but once its going its great!!! The left and right movement are real sensitive i noticed. But i like it!!!
Old 03-13-2005, 07:12 AM
lucken

Can i fly upside down with the 22D? Pls answere
Old 03-13-2005, 10:43 AM
ny_racer_xxx

You can't fly upside down with any fixed pitch Heli... very long... The pitch is fixed to pull the heli up, right? What happens when you invert it? It's pulling the heli down.

Racer...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.