Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Hirobo XRB Question

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hirobo XRB Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 03:32 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hirobo XRB Question

After flying my Hirobo for months, I just realized that the Hirobo's Lipoly battery pack has 3 wires to the connector instead of 2, Does anybody know what the third wire is for......... ?
Old 03-15-2005, 12:57 PM
dadevere

Default RE: Hirobo XRB Question

I don't know the answer to your question - but have a question for you:

How many charge cycles should the lipo battery last? I have flown 70 battery charges, and am now getting the blinking orange light on the charger. Flight times still seem about the same duration.

Thanks.
Old 03-15-2005, 01:03 PM
FlyingFish
My Feedback: (17)

i dont know, Im not going to change my battery until the heli starts to get shorter flights............[&:]
Old 03-15-2005, 02:18 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Ive been wondering the same thing.

The only thing I can figure is that the cells are center-tapped, so that one cell runs one motor and the other cell runs the other motor. Ive yet to figure that one out too.

As far as how long the lipo will last...dont know. Ive got well over a hundred flights on mine, no problems yet. I run mine down until the heli "autorotates" before charging again.
Old 03-16-2005, 09:07 PM
warren52nz

I think I know the answer. Li-Po batteries can get "out of balance" so one cell has more charge than the other (talking about 2 cell batteries right now) and there's a technique that allows you to rebalance them. If I'm right, the third wire IS a centre tap and it allows you to get at each cell separately and measure them and then charge the lower one on its own until it has the same voltage as the other one.

I think the main problem with out of balance cells is that the charger assumes they're both equal so it will charge a 2 cell battery to about 8.4 volts. You're not supposed to charge them beyond 4.35 volts/cell or they blow up. But if you had one cell at, say 4 volts and the other at 3.6 and you charge them in series, you could blow up the higher charged cell before reaching a combined voltage of 8.4, if you know what I mean.

I think that's the answer. As for how many charges to expect, it depends on how fast you charge and discharge them. Lower current makes them last longer so, if you're running it near its limit and then fast charging it, it won't last as long as if you don't do that.

That's a good case for getting a battery that's over-rated (current-wise, NOT voltage) instead of one that works its nuts off.

Also, you can KILL a Li-Po by discharging a cell below 3 volts (6 volts for a 2 cell). So, if your system doesn't have a low voltage cutout, beware of leaving your model on overnight by accident.... it'll probably destroy your batteries.
Old 03-16-2005, 10:24 PM
bdavison

Dont even leave it plugged in turned off. Even turned off, it will drain the bat slowly.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:59 PM
Donnie7

The middle wire does nothing. I bought an extention to keep from having to remove the canopy to charge the battery. The middle wire isn't there.
Donnie
Old 03-19-2005, 10:02 PM
bdavison

Donnie,

So the middle plug on your extension doesnt have anything connected to it?

Which one is positive? Top or Bottom of the plug?

Surely there has to be a reason for the middle wire, why on earth would they put it there if it wasnt connected to anything?
Old 03-19-2005, 10:30 PM
Donnie7

bdavison,
I don't know why they would put the extra wire there. I do know its not needed to power the heli. Might have something to do with charging?
Donnie
Old 03-20-2005, 09:34 AM
bdavison

hmmm....interesting. I got to find some of those little connectors, that way I can whip up some battery packs.

Thanks for the info.
Old 03-20-2005, 09:57 AM
Pathogens
Banned

Guys..most of the garbage that comes out of dbavidson's mouth cant be trusted..

Do your own research before you even consider anything he says...

He has given people on here before, very, very unsafe advice.
Old 03-20-2005, 04:54 PM
Donnie7

Pathogens,
Why do you want to dog bdavison. He helps out a lot of peoply with the XRB. No ones perfect
Donnie