Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Simulators vs. reality?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Simulators vs. reality?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 04:41 PM
onesillyhatch
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Simulators vs. reality?

I have two simulators now, I have the real flight g2, and the fms free one. In respect to helicopters the realflight is way harder to fly with but easier to land with, and the FMS is almost a joke to fly with, the heli is ultra steady and just hovers, Put me into perspective and tell me how close the G2 is to real flight, and how far the FMS is???

Thanks
Old 03-12-2005, 05:05 PM
Professor E.n.

Default RE: Simulators vs. reality?

The g2 is much closer to reality. If not used to the controls helis are very difficult to fly well. The sims tend to be on the stable side though some helis are really solid.
Old 03-12-2005, 09:49 PM
Pathogens
Banned

I think that the sims are only good for one thing. Stick orientation.

If you can fly a heli on the sim, in real life its alot easier I feel.

I also think that the sim is harder to fly just because of its perspective..
Old 03-13-2005, 05:01 AM
cptsnoopy

i started flying the heli's using mode two. but i always fly my airplanes mode one. i had not flown the airplanes in awhile and after playing with the heli's again recently i tried flying a simple foam airplane and almost buried it... so I switched to mode one with the heli's. if i did not have realflight G2 to practice with i would have many little heli parts scattered about. after i realized how hard it was to switch i put away the heli's and just flew the sim mode one for a week and when it looked like i was reacting correctly in a tight situation then i tried the heli again and i was able to keep the thing in the air without too many mistakes... i think the sim is invaluable for helping to change habits and reactions without risking the real aircraft...
Old 03-13-2005, 07:06 AM
nitroracer20

I got a job at my lhs and they have real flight 2. I have never flown a heli and I asked the owner how realistic it was and he said it was real. I am now hooked on helicopters and now I want one. lol
Sorry if that didnt help too much
Old 03-13-2005, 06:04 PM
onesillyhatch

No, all these posts were great, I know for the planes they said they were very realistic with the G2, the Heli's I did not know, but it sounds like the same information. The big problem that most people have with the simulators is you can't look around, or see the ground and then bang, I've found it easier if you stay close to the ground, not only do you develop more skill you can find your way around, especially with the planes. Thanks for all the respones.

Old 03-13-2005, 07:11 PM
e-maxxmaster

what about realflight G3?

would this be a good one to ge,t with all the add ons?
Old 03-13-2005, 09:02 PM
cptsnoopy

ORIGINAL: heilman313

what about realflight G3?

would this be a good one to ge,t with all the add ons?
hopefully someone who has it will respond. I have realflight G2 with addons 1 thru 4 and it's great!. i would imagine realflightG3 is even better...
Old 03-13-2005, 11:26 PM
ChopperMike

I have G3 and it's a vast improvement over G2, never liked G2. I was all set to get Reflex XTR when I upgraded my computer (I was using Dave Brown RCFS 2001, all I could run) until G3 came out. G2 is a joke compared to Reflex or G3. But any sim, even something like FMS will help some.

No sim is going to behave exactly like your real world model, I don't care what anyone says, they're not real. But they do help in teaching you the basic stick movements which you then refine when you fly your actual model.

Mike
Old 03-14-2005, 03:37 AM
FlybyPDX
My Feedback: (2)

I have reflex XTR and I fly helis and planes. XTR is extreemly close to flying the real thing.
Old 03-14-2005, 01:15 PM
martinic

I'm using G3 to practise for my Trex with and it is extremely realistic (minor annoyances during spin up, but flight is great). Note that the hardware requirements for G3 are currently very, very demanding - make sure you do your research before buying.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:26 PM
hikscub

But, don't forget the fear factor [X(]. On a sim it just isn't there. Heli get's lost way up high or orientation is wrong - no sweat. Take your time, figure it out and correct things. In reality it doesn't work that way. When you start realizing you are out of control in the real world and you want to limit real damage you tend to start doing dumb things like overcorrecting or worse freezing up.

Learning to keep cool when things go wrong cannot be learned on the simulator!!!

That all said, simulators are great. Makes learning much much faster. I have G2 which is ok. Doesn't have the zoom though which is what I need.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Tanner Hall

i have RF G2 and XTR. i fly a trex and logo 10 in real life. either of these sims will teach you the basic stick movements very very well. G2 is actually more difficult to master than XTR, especially if you increase the "time factor" to a value >100%. if you can consistently hover in G2 in all orientations, with the time factor set at 150%, i GUARANTEE you can fly a heli in real life!!

with that said, XTR is more true to real life and a better sim overall. the logo 10 in XTR is dead accurate.
Old 03-14-2005, 02:57 PM
e-maxxmaster

i am buying a new computer just for that game so that will make 5 computers and 3 laptops.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:01 PM
onesillyhatch

I like G2 I've never changed the time factor what is that? Does it make it harder. I'm getting good at hovering, I've learned that no matter what in order to hover you have to keep the heli perfectly parallel to the ground, if you have a slight lean in any other direction you lose the hover. I stopped concentrating on correcting flight and more on just keeping it straight especially the forward and backward pitch and hovering is becoming more easy.

5 computers that sounds like me, three in my room, one in the room next door, and two in the computer room. No reason to get rid of them since they have like no resale when they get old. Just invest in some KVM switches.
Old 03-15-2005, 08:55 PM
cptsnoopy

ORIGINAL: onesillyhatch

I like G2 I've never changed the time factor what is that? Does it make it harder. I'm getting good at hovering, I've learned that no matter what in order to hover you have to keep the heli perfectly parallel to the ground, if you have a slight lean in any other direction you lose the hover. I stopped concentrating on correcting flight and more on just keeping it straight especially the forward and backward pitch and hovering is becoming more easy.

5 computers that sounds like me, three in my room, one in the room next door, and two in the computer room. No reason to get rid of them since they have like no resale when they get old. Just invest in some KVM switches.
good find, in flying, attitude relative to the horizon is everything