Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Optic 6 & Gy401 gyro settings?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Optic 6 & Gy401 gyro settings?

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2005, 01:08 AM
warren52nz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Optic 6 & Gy401 gyro settings?

I have A Century Elite 3D Pro with a GY401 gyro. I'm confused by the Gyro settings on my Optic 6 Tx. If I set the "Gyro" setting to 50%, the tail blades stop responding to the rudder control completely (motor off). But if I set it above or below 50% it starts responding again. The Optic 6 manual doesn't explain what this means.

And, if I set my "End Point Adjustment" (EPA) on Channel 4 (rudder) to limit the amount of movement of the rear blades, it will move a bit quickly but then will slowly move to FULL servo rotation one way or the other.

I'm guessing the fast movement is from my input and the slow movement is coming from my gyro which is trying to twist the model but is getting no result (because the motor is off). So it tries harder and harder until it runs out of travel on the servo. ???

I would have thought that the EPA adjustment (which is supposed to prevent binding of the "mechanicals") would absolutely override anything else, lest it binds and you crash.

Does anyone understand these symptoms? I'm not sure what to set to what and, as we all know, experimenting in the air can be EXPENSIVE!

Thanks
Warren
Old 04-18-2005, 09:52 AM
tnd2000

Default RE: Optic 6 & Gy401 gyro settings?

Do you mean 50% on the gyro channel from the tx or 50% in one of the modes.
I don't know the specifics for gy401 but for dual mode gyro 50% on the tx should mean 0% gyro. To set 50% in HH mode, you would actually have to set the gyro gain channel to 75%.
It works something like
0-50% gyro is in rate mode
50-100% gyro is in HH mode
each % on the tx = 2% on the gyro so 60% tx = 20% gain in HH mode because 60-50 = 10, times 2 = 20
Same for rate mode but 0=50% so 40% tx = 20% in rate mode.

This information should've came with your gyro not the radio.
Old 04-18-2005, 03:05 PM
Shard

I'm not sure on how 401 works but from my "limited" knowledge of gyros it seems that you're in HH mode when u set your mix above 50%. One way of testing this is with your heli plugged in (throttle at 0% or u're going to get hurt) quickly move the tail in either direction and see if your tail responds in any way. Also, make sure to zero out (reset) your EPA tail adjustment as this only controls your pyro rate (how fast your tail will spin).
Old 04-19-2005, 03:31 AM
jamesotron

Hey Warren. I tried to explain this to you at the field the otherday, but obviously wasn't clear.

The GYRO menu on the Hitec Tx directly controls the position of channel 5. If you had a servo connected to channel 5 then changing the setting would move the servo directly. It's just like having a slider or stick.

You will find that the half-way point (50%) on the Tx is zero gain on the gyro. The further you go from the center will mean the more gain you get in each mode. On my gyro (different to yours) 0% = 100% gain in heading hold mode and 100% = 100% gain in rate mode.

Your's might be the other way around, but the effect is the same.

The way to find out if your gyro is in heading hold mode:

let the gyro initialise normally, with the throttle down move the rudder stick to the fully to the right and then release it. if the ridder servo moves to the right and stays there then you are in heading hold mode (it's trying to hold the new heading, and because the tail hasn't moved it's still applying pitch trying to move it). if the servo centers immediately then it's in rate mode.

The EPA for the rudder channel will not affect the servo travel, only the piroette rate. you're really only limiting how much input you send to the gyro - how much the gyro sends to the servo is entirely up to it. I'm not sure how to change that myself - and indeed my rudder servo stalls if I pick it up and wag it around heaps. I find that it doesn't really have an affect in flight, as I'm not at the high-speed piroette stage of my flying and the gyro rarely needs to move the tail servo with that much travel.

hope this helps.
Old 04-19-2005, 05:26 PM
warren52nz

Thanks Guys
That all makes perfect sense to me now, including the maths from tnd2000.
To answer his question, I meant 50% on the TX Gyro setting.
Now all I need is my new tail gears and it's "Up up and away".
8^)
Warren