Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Hummingbird 3D Pro Gyro Mount

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Hummingbird 3D Pro Gyro Mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Simon Jones

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hummingbird 3D Pro Gyro Mount

Hi Folks.

I've just bought one of these as my first indoor heli, having only flown 50 and 60 size nito machines before now.

One thing that isn't clear is where the best place is to mount the gyro. It's a heat shrunk CSM 200 so the options are a little limited. Rather than guessing I thought I'd see if anyone has already come up with the best solution for this.

Any other hints or tips greatfully recieved. I have gone for the package deal if that helps.

Thanks for your antisipated help.

sj.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:34 PM
warren52nz

Default RE: Hummingbird 3D Pro Gyro Mount

I had the same question for my 3D Pro. Century said (effectively) "wherever you want".

Others said keep it away from the ESC. So I put the radio and ESC up front and the gyro underneath and behind the main gear. This puts the centre of gravity (CG) back a bit, which I didn't want but seems to work just fine. And it's upside down now s had to reverse the signal on the GY401 if you know what I mean. If you don't have a reverse switch..... no, you probably do.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:51 AM
Simon Jones

Thanks Warren.

Took the kids away so only started looking at things last night and only got as far as soldering everything up on the ESC, Battery and Carge leads so I hope to tackle the heli tonight. I've also been trying to work out which of the two CCPM mixes to use on my Futaba FF9, the manuel is useless and mentions nothing about CCPM. I guess I'll get there with a lot of tinkering.

How does yours fly? This is my first indoor heli and it will be the first one I've set up on my own. I suspect it will be rather different to my Moskito but would be good to get some feedback.

Thanks for the tip and happy hovering.

sj.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:14 PM
CAP232Pilot-RCU

I have the Hummingbird Elite Pro. I placed my Futaba 401 on the optional tail mount behind the rotor. It holds rock solid in both heading hold and in normal mode. Beware of putting too close to the motor or ESC. I tried there and it only caused problems. I could not get the gyro set up properly.
Old 05-18-2005, 07:53 PM
warren52nz

I've had a lot of problems with the tail drive on mine and Century are sending me an updated version soon, apparently. Almost everyone's had problems.

So not much flying time... probably about half an hour in total and $1,100 to Century and counting!

More parts arrived yesterday (the old style tail drive parts which were already ordered when I heard there was a new one coming) and it's RTF again. Had about 2 minutes hovering this morning before work after 4 hours playing around with the tail drive again.

There's a lot of stuf on Runryder about this and I suggest you read that. Also press Century for the updated gearbox (or whatever it is). They're sending mine free.

Good Luck.
Old 11-13-2005, 11:39 AM
Marcel-NL

Any updates?
Old 11-13-2005, 03:44 PM
warren52nz

Yeah, the Elite 3D Pro is still sitting on the bench since May. Century now offer metal tail grips but I can't be bothered spending another cent on this thing. Meanwhile I've been flying my Trex almost every day. Takes 17 seconds for the blades to glide to a stop from full speed. More like 5 seconds with the HB Elite. So much friction in the tail.

It's a write off as far as I'm concerned and an expensive lesson.