Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

New Idea! I'm Tired of Broken Skids!!!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

New Idea! I'm Tired of Broken Skids!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 08:54 AM
karl51
My Feedback: (6)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Idea! I'm Tired of Broken Skids!!!

Hi Guys,

Take a look at the photo of my T-rex... I updated my skids with pipe covers so now when my helicopter has a hard landing I get a little bounce and no tipping...So Far So Good...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv63570.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	272200  
Old 05-16-2005, 11:20 AM
rbiasi

Default RE: New Idea! I'm Tired of Broken Skids!!!

Cool! Looks like you're ready for water landings as well.
Old 05-16-2005, 12:20 PM
karl51
My Feedback: (6)

Hi Rbiasi,

I was told by one of the engineers at work that the foam is water proof and should work for water landings, but I would need to run more test I am worried about side to side balance in the water..
Old 05-16-2005, 05:37 PM
rbiasi

There was actually a guy a while back, I think it was on runryder.com, who posted a picture of his rex outfitted for water landings. Same Idea, but he used "fun noodles" which you can get at pool stores. They're a bit bigger. Anyway, he said he could land it on the pool, but couldn't take off. Personally, I try to keep my rex away from water. But the pics he posted were pretty wild!
Old 05-18-2005, 06:15 AM
batfalcon

I have done that since my first broken skid. In fact I used the same tube they use for isolation of air conditioners. It's called "Armaflex" here in Greece. I also added some white and colored stripes on the tubes and they look nicer now. It's impossible to hold the weight of the heli for water landings though.

Michael
Old 05-18-2005, 06:46 PM
warren52nz

Hey that's a great idea. I'm getting ready to build a springy CF landing gear for mine with a wider stance to help with cock-eyed landings (I'm a newbie).

All I get from my friends when I say that is "Well trying landing softer" which is no help at all.

The only downside with your design, to my mind, is the size of the foam which might make it a little less responsive by getting in the way of the airflow. No big deal, I bet. I think I might try the same idea if my CF idea doesn't work.

It's just that I noticed when I took off my training gear it made a HUGE difference to how responsive the chopper was. But that's probably because of the rotational inertia of the huge footprint (about 2 feet!).

I love your idea... so simple too.

Cheers