Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Aint nothing like the feel of a new Heli... :) (Walkera 4 rebuild)

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Aint nothing like the feel of a new Heli... :) (Walkera 4 rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2005, 06:55 AM
oops

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aint nothing like the feel of a new Heli... :) (Walkera 4 rebuild)

Well, after that ground-pounding failure of my Walkera 4, and the fact that I can't fly the 22a or my other Heli at the moment, it was time to re-sleeve my Walkera 4.

All up, a replacement shell was just AU$65 delivered, so it made sense rather that replacing the broken parts... And since every part was broken, it was time to replace the lot.

So I moved the Servo's, discovered the new models are set up correctly for decent Servo's (no bodywork required like before) and that they've put a longer sleeve-lock on the tail rotor. Nice. Still the same crappy tailrotor otherwise, but not too bad. Then I moved the Radio...

Just needed one cable-tie to lock both the servo's in place this time, and within minutes, the new sleeve was ready to fly. Other than that, the paddles were aligned out of the box, and movement of the mechanism was acceptable... All I did was fit the electronics and turn it on !

So I hit the throttle. Battery was low, but it rose steadily up into my living room airspace vertically, to come to a hover about 6 inches from my nose... Just sitting there. A quick trim adjustment, and it stayed put.

Ascending and Decending was fine now, even with the new longer blades in place, and the biggest change was the sound....
Normally, my wife describes the sound as a Whipper Snipper..... (Weed Wacker in the US I think). THis time, it was like a slightly noisey fan - almost silent.
Without the missing teeth from the gear, and the sound of damaged parts crying out in pain, you really appreciate the silence !...

Not a single wobble or other problems. Seriously, if this is the new model of Walkera 4, they've got something right... I reused the original Walkera 4 receiver and some PFS-09 servo's, but other than that, it's just all original stuff. ...

You know, when I ordered this new shell, I questioned for a moment whether I wanted this model or the GWS version to try... Now having flown this new shell out of the box, with almost no setup, I can say I'm happy I went with the basic model...

David.
Old 05-24-2005, 11:18 AM
cptsnoopy

Default RE: Aint nothing like the feel of a new Heli... :) (Walkera 4 rebuild)

Great info! Thanks David.
Old 05-24-2005, 04:36 PM
swashplate

Default RE: Aint nothing like the feel of a new Heli... :) (Walkera 4 rebuild)

One cable tie, both servos??!?!?! PICS!!!! PLEASE!!!!!!!!! You are the man!!!![X(]