Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli "build" thread

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli "build" thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005, 01:11 AM
Iceman1979
My Feedback: (17)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli "build" thread

Hey guys,

I just got one of the mX 400 today and had a himax 2015-4100 and was wondering if that would work in this heli or if it would be to much.

Thanks
John
Old 11-03-2005, 02:03 PM
skynet123

Thnak you for the advice
Enjoy your Hiking trip
Old 11-03-2005, 04:36 PM
ptgarcia
My Feedback: (36)

ORIGINAL: bdavison

Here is a couple of videos of one flying.

http://www.x400tuning.com/X400%203.wmv

http://www.x400tuning.com/x-400_fly2.wmv
Was that Ozzy Osborne flying that heli? I can't understand a friggin' thing the pilot is saying...
Old 11-09-2005, 09:40 AM
leejax02
My Feedback: (1)

I recently got a MX400 and it needs electronics. I was interested in the Align 35a speed control w/governor and the Align 420 motor. Does the speed control perform work well or is low quality? Also, I can't swing the outrunner motor right now and saw that the Align 420 motor runs great for the price. I am also interested in getting a good receiver. How does the Align 6ch receiver work?? Any help and other ideas for electronics are welcomed.
Old 11-14-2005, 10:03 AM
jaless

I am ordering the MX400 but I am in the dark as far as brushless motors go. I have been flying RC nitro aircraft since the 60's. My first foray into electric was a Blade CP which I have been flying for 4 months now. What would be a good brushless motor for the MX400 and also a good ESP. I just bought a Hobbico Elite three cell charger for the 1350 MHA Lipo's for my Blade so I am limited to three cells. Don't know if this is a problem or not. Anyone have any idea how long the MX400 would fly in 1350 Lipo's? Any help would be appreciated. I would like to order the motor this week. Not looking for a killer speed or anything but something that would be reliable but allow me to explore some of the capabilities of the MX400.

Thanks for any help

Joe
Old 11-14-2005, 11:49 AM
cptsnoopy

jaless,

I can't answer for the best brushless motor but if your lipo's have a good c rating (10 being the lowest and higher is better) then you should be able to get some good power but for less time than the higher mah rated batteries. one of the good things about the lower mah batteries is that they weigh less and make the model much more nimble. I just charged one of my 1650mah 3cell batteries that was used in a 10 minute flight with my #35. I was practicing loops so I had it in idle up mode for at least 7 minutes and it took 1100mah to top it off again. since you will want some safety factor, i am guessing flights of 5 to 7 minutes of hard flying and more if your just putting around.
Old 11-16-2005, 09:40 AM
jaless

Guys,

Well I went ahead and ordered the Ultrafly C/13/33kv and and Electrifly Silver Series 35A ECS for my MX400. The Ultrafly sounded like a good idea because it contains an internal cooling fan. As for the ECS, do I want set it up for the internal brake or not? What are the pluses and minuses to doing this?

Joe
Old 11-16-2005, 11:11 AM
Stamper
My Feedback: (9)

I have that esc on my MX400 with the Mega motor. I do not set up with the brake as it can be harder on the gears. It slows down pretty quick anyway without the brake. I like the lipo cutoff feature also. It does not cut the motor dead, but rather pulses to a stop leaving just enough power to land.
Old 11-16-2005, 11:18 AM
jaless

Stamper

Thanks for the help. Are you flying the MX400 yet? What batteries are you using? I plan to start out with Lipo 3C TP1320's that I had for my Blade. I am still training on the Blade. That was my first heli. I plan to continue training on the Blade befoe I move up to the MX400. Don't want to crash that on right off the bat.

Joe
Old 11-16-2005, 11:43 AM
Stamper

I have flown the Blade and I think the MX400 is MUCH easier to fly. With the mega 3 turn motor I am using the Kokam 3 cell 2000 pack. The packs that I use with my Blade and Esky CP2 were the 3 cell 1500's and they will not put out the power for the Mega. I only get about 7 minutes with the 2000's but maybe I would be better off with TP 2100's. I use the Kokams in my planes so I just tried them in the MX400 and they work ok, but not great. I think the Kokams are a little weak anyway.
As for flying, it is so nice and stable. I had it outside in the wind and had no problems. I don't have any negative pitch setup yet, but so far so good. If you can fly the Blade with any control at all, you can fly this bird. I fly it in my basement as well as outside so don't be afraid. I also like not burning out tail motors every other flight. I bought a direct drive setup for the cp2 but havent tried it yet. Have fun

Scott
Old 11-16-2005, 12:26 PM
jaless

Scott,

Good stuff, thanks for all your help. Looking forward to setting the MX400 up. I like to tinker and have been building RC planes for over 30 years. Never thought much about getting into heli's until I saw the Blade. Guess I got hooked. Still working on right side and nose in hovering but I can hover the Blade tail in nice and left side steady for the whole pack, about 20 minutes. I will use the 1320 lipo's to test it out but will upgrade to a higher rated pack once I get started. Thanks again for all your help.

Joe
Old 11-17-2005, 08:11 AM
kevntri
My Feedback: (15)

Can anyone give info on where they placed their electrictronics.
I have the Helimax set up from Tower 2540 6 pole motor and 25A esc.
I put the ESC underneath and the rx under and behind the main gear.
I am getting a glitch. It seems to fly good until the motor warms up. Then it seems I can feel a slight wobble and it will glitch...
I am not sure what type of cutoff the ESC has, but it does this after about 30 sec of hover.

Any help would be great....

Thanks
Old 11-17-2005, 08:58 AM
bdavison

Guys, sorry for the long response time.

Ive been hiking on the Appalachian Trail. No computers up there.
I just got back.

I have decided on a motor. One of my friends has a Align 420 with the ESC that he's gonna sell me cheap. Im gonna put that in the heli. He had this set-up on a Trex, and it worked great, so it should work fine with the MX400. Ill let you know how it works out.

If anyone is interested, Ill be posting pictures of the AT trip up on the web soon. Ill post the web addy once I get them up. Im still on brain overload coming back to civilization.
Old 11-17-2005, 12:43 PM
jaless

Being new to electrics you never know what to ask until you get to next step. I figured that I would just get the Futaba GY401 right off the bat but now I find that I will have 5 servo connections due to the sensitifity connection on the gyro. The Silver Series 35A ESC has BEC but mentioned that it was good for up to 4 servos. Does the sensativity connector count as 1. Will I be able to use the GY401?
Old 11-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Stamper

The rudder servo should hook up thru the Gyro in one slot. You will be fine. I have this same esc with 4 servos and a 240 gyro without a problem. The 4 servo limit also does not take into account the size of the servo. You have 4 micro servos, not standards or even digitals, so not to worry.

Scott
Old 11-17-2005, 02:59 PM
jaless

Hi Scott,

The GY401 has two J connectors. One for the gyro and one for channel 5 to allow you to adjust the sensitivity. I am using Futaba S3103 micro servos. Guess I will just have to try it out and see what happens. I got the MX400 yesterday. What a sweet looking bird. I cannot believe how light it is. I also noticed that the Lipo's will not fit in the existing battery tray and you definitly need a 6 channel receiver because an 8 channel will not fit. So much to learn, so little time.

Joe
Old 11-17-2005, 03:05 PM
Stamper

Thanks for the heads up Joe. I was looking at maybe a T-rex with a 401 to go along with the MX 400.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:15 PM
BBZracing

Hi guys/girls...

So far I have flown the Hummingbird and Blade but finally stepped up to the MX400 (all in the last 3 months...never flown anything in my life...lol).

I purchased all I needed to as per the kit...Futaba radio,gyro,esc,brushless...you name it. It has been built and is ready to fly...even had a pro set it up correctly after the build.

Here's the issue...

The first two heli's are fixed pitch...when u give them throttle they go up!

Now...

The MX400 had collective pitch....when I give throttle the blades MOVE (FAST AND FURIOUS if I give it full) but i get no lift...is there something I'm missing??????

HELP!!!

sincerely

dummy
Old 11-17-2005, 04:44 PM
Stamper

I am a terrible one to ask because I don't measure anything, I just make adjustments based on how it flys, but it sounds like you don't have enough pitch built into your throttle settings. For now, I have my pitch settings pretty much the same thru the throttle curve. When I get better I will start with negative and increase thru the curve.
Old 11-17-2005, 10:12 PM
leejax02

Glad to hear so many are out there with the MX400, this is probably the best thread dedicated to the MX400 on the web. I see alot of x400 threads, but this one hopefully will grow and grow if we keep on posting. I am waiting on the eCCPM conversion with the red metal swashplate before I mount the servos. Bdavison, I too bought the Align 420lf motor and the Align 35A w/governor and heard great things...then I heard about the newly released Align 430l motor...crazy. Using the E-Flite servos with a GY401 gyro. Thinking about a GWS 6ch receiver to go with the Futaba 9chp radio. Also thinking about the metal tail assembly, but that will come later. A few guys at the lhs have the MX400 and they are stocking parts locally, so that will help on parts. Keep on posting and updating as you build as alot of my questions are answered. Thanks alot and keep em' coming.
Old 11-18-2005, 06:22 AM
jaless

Scott/Guys/Gals,

Took another look at the GY401 and the two J connectors. The main connector has three leads but the sensitivity connector only has one lead. I would guess the one lead would be for signal only so it shouldn't draw much juice. Just ordered a Futaba 6ch PCM receiver but it won't be shipped till next week. Will have to test it all out when it arrives. For now I have everything else so I will get started on the MX400 this weekend. Got a little stiffness in the head so I will have to check that out. Not sure how I am going to paint it yet. Nothing too crazy but good enough to see.

Joe
Old 11-18-2005, 08:39 AM
BBZracing

Hi again...

Here are some pics of my 400.

Still flying my Blade and Hummingbird but training on my 400 this weekend.

My 400 is stock but looking for FUNCTIONAL upgrades that ARE worth the money.

Let me know!

Talk soon
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay74506.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	356271   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx74368.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	356272   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qv55223.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	104.0 KB
ID:	356273   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58724.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	356274  
Old 11-18-2005, 10:34 AM
jaless

BBZracing,

Nice looking bird. Looks like it wants to fly right off the work bench. Nice job. I notice that you mounted the gyro on top of the boom. Instruction say mount directly under the mast. Did you do this to elevate interference or because it will work better up there?

Joe
Old 11-18-2005, 10:39 AM
jaless

And for people like me that can't spell, that would be alleviate interference not elevate it.

Sorry,

Joe
Old 11-18-2005, 10:53 AM
BBZracing

Hhehehehe...

Well Jaless....

I initially mounted the gyro directly under the gears to the main blade as per the manual...but ran into glitching issues with the gyro which caused the rudder servo to spaz out. I noticed an insert with the instrux that gave alternative mounting options for the gyro. The insert instrux mentioned that the gyro could experience interference if mounted within 10 cm of the motor....low and behold (sp?...lol) when I re-configured my entire wiring harness looking for the prob...I realized that the glitch ceased when tried out on the rear mount.

I race nitro powered 1/8th scale buggies as well as nitro truggies so I am used to looking for glitches but this is the first time with electric AND AIR RCing....so I'm kinda tip toeing my way through this...if you have any advice or tips I'm all ears....

Talk soon

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.