Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli "build" thread

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli "build" thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2005, 10:27 PM
wildtimes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HeliMax MX400 CCPM heli "build" thread

i am useing that motor it with a eflight 40 amp speed controler it semes to be working fine no over heating using stock gear that came with it . now just to let u know this is my first heli and i am having a few thangs giving me trouble but motor seems fine.
ORIGINAL: jsmith1975
Has anyone used this motor? I have seen a motor just like it called the MEGA POWER 400L. The price seems very good.

http://www.hobby-lobby.com/brushless-coolred.htm

Old 12-31-2005, 07:25 PM
Air-Wolf-4U
My Feedback: (2)

Hi All!
Well installing a servo tray on the tal has fixed the movement problem on my mx400. I get a full range of movement on the tail now. The only problem that I am having now is that the tail seems to was back and forth while in hover?? It is almost like the gyro is over correcting or taking too long. Has anyone had this type of problem?? I am using a Futaba 502 Gyro so it is a fairly good one so I should not get this tail wag.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great new years everyone!!!!

Dwayne
Old 12-31-2005, 09:59 PM
cptsnoopy

I am not familiar with the 502 but I am using the 401 and the 240 gyros. whenever I get the tail wag, I start reducing the sensitivity or gain a little at a time until the wag stops. Hopefully that will work for you.
Old 01-07-2006, 09:24 AM
jaless

TAIL SETUP AND ROTATION,

Being new to RC helicopters of any kind I read as much information as I can find on this subject. I found something new yesterday that I believe is very important and it was kind of hidden away. If you go to the T-Rex build thread http://www.trextuning.com/ and look at Build setup step 21, the last sentence in the paragraph reads,

The tail blades should be spinning such that the lower blade should be rotating forwards towards the nose of the heli and upwards towards the blades. Also make sure that your ball links on the tail blade holders are leading and not trailing the tail blades.

The point about the ball links leading the tail blade holder was something that I never thought about. Please let me know if your MX400 was set up this way or if it was differant. This little bit of information changed the whole setup.

Thanks Guys for Being Here.
Old 01-27-2006, 11:43 PM
JCDHeli

Hello I am new to this post and I must say it is very informative. I am planning to buy a MX-400 from tower hobbies see link below. Then I went to Ebay found seller selling a X-400. do you guys think that it is worth the money to spend on the towehobbies package or get the cheaper one from ebay.
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...1p?&I=LZ2473**

http://cgi.ebay.com/280-RTF-ARK-X-40...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks
JC
Old 01-29-2006, 05:47 PM
Shadrack

I have the mx400 pro as well and found that there was the same issue on mine, with the rudder control rod not being quite long enough to set it at center on the servo end and have the blades in a no pitch config. I don't have much more room to spin out the ball connector. I'm using a DX6 so interference won't be an issue, and it came with servos that fit perfectly.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:28 PM
LongRanger

Back a few pages you guy's were talking about the MX400 Pro being CCPM vs eCCPM. I'm starting to put one together and using a JR XP6102 radio. In the set up for the radio it asks for swashplate type. There are four choices

1 servo: Non CCPM, standard mixing type helicopter
2 servo/180° CCPM
3 servo/120° CCPM (JR style, most popular)
3 servo 90° CCPM

which is the proper choice ? thanks in advance
Old 01-29-2006, 06:40 PM
dsltek432

The problem with the $290 rcexpert package is it is the cheapest crap they can use for electronics.You would be better off buying the heli and then buying quality components rather than buying a package like that and then slowly replacing components one at a time.You would be money ahead to build it right the first time.
Old 01-29-2006, 06:47 PM
JCDHeli

Thanks for the reply dsltek432
I must agree with after some seroius thinking it not worth buying the cheap equipment better be safe than sorry. Plus I think I should buy it from my local hobby store just for their support.

I Have one more Questions and I hope some one can help me decide. I have been looking at the Spektrum DX6 and the Futaba 6EXH which one is better and reliable. Thanks
Old 01-29-2006, 10:18 PM
dsltek432

Most people on here will tell you to buy the most radio you can afford, 7c or 9c, so you won't outgrow your tx. Well the most I was willing to buy when I purchased mine was the 6exh. It is just enough radio to get the job done, but it works fine. As far as the Spectrum, I can't help you there.
Old 01-30-2006, 11:11 PM
dsltek432

bdavison, did you ever get your mx400 built. What motor/esc did you go with and how do you like it?
Old 01-31-2006, 01:15 PM
Pflyinguy

I am new to helis and have a few questions. Has anyone used a GWS receiver in a MX400? Anyone using a Hobby Lobby "Cool Red" brushless motor? Anyone know the recommeded gear for this motor, it's 3500 rpm/v? Any problems with the recommended Helimax 25 amp esc? Is the silver series 35a a better choice? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated! My current set up:

MX400
Cool red motor
GWS 6 channel rx
S75 servos
Optic 6 tx
Old 02-06-2006, 04:46 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Just wanted to update this thread.

I have now completed building my MX400.

Here is my list of equipment.

Align 420LF Outrunner Brushless motor
JR Sport Universal 6ch rx (temporary..eventually going to 9ch Futaba synth)
Align 25A ESC
Futaba GY401
E-flite S75 servos
FMA Pro 3cell 1250mah lipo

It took me a while to properly get everything lined up correctly, and programmed in the radio. Once I double checked, and triple checked everything..I plugged in the motor, and gave it a little throttle. It spun up smoothly and I spooled it up to about 3/4 throttle.

NOT FOR THE SAFETY GESTAPO OR FAINT HEARTED.....

I was holding the heli while I spooled it up. It takes FAR less time to adjust everything if I can "feel" what the helicopter is doing.
Once I spooled it up I fine tuned the gyro as much as I could tell. I can also set the cyclic like this by "feeling" what the heli is doing.
I dont recommend this to anyone. And if your crazy like me, you do so at your own risk.

I set the heli down, and spooled it up again to do the final tweaking on the gyro. While I was dialing in the tx, I heard this WHAAAPOW. I shut everything down, and as it turned out. The heli threw a tail blade. The instruction manual tells you to locktite the tail blade holders to the tail hub...which I did, but apparently not good enough. The screws unscrewed themselves and the one of the blade grips took off...yanking the tail slider pitch control to pieces. Bummer....I went to the local hobby shop, and shortly there after I got a replacement...I figured while I was there I would upgrade to the aluminum tail blade grips. Anytime a part breaks I get the aluminum upgrade. That way I only have to replace it once. Unfortunatly they dont make a aluminum tail pitch slider yet...although the aluminum Ark400 one will fit.

Once I got it all back together, I set it down and started again....dang....battery out of juice. Have to recharge. So its still not flying. I havent had the chance to finalize setting everything.

Here are the only problems I have found so far.

1. If you dont like HeliMax's recommendations to put the gyro inside the frame, and want to mount it on the tailboom or frame like normal, you will have to build a mount for it. Not hard, but its would have been nice if they put a good flat spot on top of the frame for the gyro.

2. The elevator linkages on the heli are horrible. It doesnt center well, and despite the "CA the control arm" modification shown in the manual...its still sloppy. The slop in this linkage is probably what makes the cyclic less responsive than the Trex. Good thing for beginners, but annoying for experienced pilots.

3. The pitch control arm moves so far up during reverse pitch, that the aileron servo arms will bind against the top of the canopy.

4. WHY OH WHY do heli companies continue making really short battery mounting locations. If they know you are going to have to use a BIG battery to power it, then put a BIG battery tray on it. not a short stub.

5. Canopy...It looks good, but it wont accept paint very well. Even with sanding, it still is so slick...paint dont stick. If you paint it...use care not to chip the paint off. Try using flexable paints

6. Servo mounting "nuts". These little plastic nuts will drive everyone nuts. Its a real pain in the arse to get them up into the frame to screw the servos into place with.

Here are the things I like about the heli.

1. The frame. Its SUPER solid, and lightweight, and the aluminum looks awesome.

2. Parts availability. HeliMax has done a superb job of making parts available. My local hobby shop has a wall full of replacement parts and upgrades. This is one of the reasons I really like the Blade CP heli. I can get parts when I need too.

3. Clean lines. The MX400 looks fantastic. Really clean looking heli, and its easy to hide the wires.

Once I get it all tweaked out, and I maiden it...Ill let everyone know what I think about it. So far everything seems good. Ive had my hiccups, but all in all everything is working like its supposed to. Ill probably be upgrading to the eCCPM kit later on.

1. LOCKTITE the hell out of the tail rotor blade grips. L O C K T I T E them good, or you will wish you had....shoot...LOCKTITE everything. Swashplate balls,etc.
2. Dont rush anything. Take your time. Its a complicated heli to set-up correctly and DEMANDS that you pay attention. Its really easy to mess up during construction. Check everything at least 3 times. Check, check, and then check it again. If you have just one servo reversed or not moving correctly, you WILL crash very quickly.
3. Mount everything solid. Use zipties to secure ALL the wiring and avionics. If anything shifts in flight...your gonna have serious issues. If the gyro moves in flight...its gonna crash.
4. Balance of everything is extremely critical. Balance the main blades AND THE TAIL BLADES. Vibration in these things can reek havoc with its flying ability, and with your avionics.
5. Watch those blades. The MX400 has a headspeed considerably faster than ALL the other micro helis like the Blade CP and such. This heli WILL bite you if your not careful.
6. A 1250mah lipo will give you about 5-7min of flight...a 2200mah lipo will give you close to 20min. The 1250mah is lighter and therefore you will get better flight performance, but the 2200mah last longer.
7. DONT use a hacker motor. There have been a couple of folks down here that purchased the hacker for their MX400 thinking that because it says 3600kv it would work because the kv rating is within manufactures recommended specs. The hacker will perform 3600kv on a 9.4 airplane prop, but not on a 28x11 rotor head. It doesnt have enough power to get airborne, it will burn up. Get a good ALIGN 420, 430, or the Ultrafly brushless. All of these will perform well.
8. If you are running a gyro capable of using a digital servo. Unless you use a digital servo, make sure the gyro is set for normal servos...otherwise you will burn up the tail rotor servo.
9. Dont overtighten the horizontal tail fin..if you do you will snap the mount clean in two. Helimax does make an aluminum replacement one.

Good luck to all the MX400 pilots. Ill let yall know my impressions once I get to fly it.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:06 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Ok guys...

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTSSSSSSSSSSSSS ALLLLLLLLLIIIIIIIIIVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!

Yup...I got it airborne for its first and short maiden flight.

I took it out behind my house about 10 min ago, after doing final check on everything and finishing fine tuning the gyro, I flew it.

I slowly spooled up the rotor head, and got it light on the skids, a little more throttle and it lifted off. The tail stayed put as expected from the fantastic Futaba GY401 gyro....dont let anyone kid you.. The cyclic is very responsive. Ive gotten use to that slow sluggish cyclic on my Blade CP, and now this is an experience. Just did a simple hover to keep it simple. Didnt want to get too wild with it until its proven airworthy.

So far Im impressed. It is one HOT little heli. Moves super quick like lightning, and is glassy smooth on collective. TONS of power. I had it lift off right at about half throttle, and just a touch more and it was climbing. The heli looks amazing in the air. I love the tail rotor. Really quick and responsive. You breath on the rudder, and it moves. Let off, and the gyro will hold it there. Not like the BladeCP where you have to correct all the time or during throttle changes. it was kinda nice not to have to fly the rudder as much.

Guys, if you have Aerofly Pro Deluxe..download the Trex450SE from the site, and fly it. It flys identical to these helis...but the cyclic on the sim is overly sensitive. The real thing isnt that touchy. The Trex with the training balls is DEAD on accurate. For those of you thinking about getting a Trex or MX400...try it in the sim. It will give you a real good taste of what these helis really fly like. Not perfect rendition, but darn close.

Im happy with the MX400. It was a steal price wise, and flys good to boot.

Would I recommend it...Yeah...I like the Trex CDE the best out of all of them...but if ya cant afford a Trex, or your hobbyshop only supports the MX400...take a serious look at it. Its a pretty cool heli. It will definatly challenge even advanced pilots.

NOT FOR BEGINNERS. If your just starting out...stay far away from the Trex/MX400. Its not a beginners or even intermediate heli. You will need some serious skills already before attempting to fly this one.

When you get to the point where you can hover, and do figure 8's in a gym with the Blade CP, and nose in....then your ready to "try" a MX400. But you will still be in for a learning experience.

Old 02-08-2006, 10:10 PM
dsltek432

Is anyone running a mega 16/15/3 or one of the just go fly motors. Trying to decide which motor to go with. Not looking for insane power anytime soon. Mainly looking for good duration motor. Also looking for recommendations on cc35 vs align 35a. Thanks for any advise.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:30 PM
jh4db536

i had the mega16/15/3 (my 2nd motor) and i didnt like it (weak, heat, needed a large pinion for a motor with little punch). honestly you want a motor with a kv rating close to 3500. $70-80ish

as for the JGF motors (400dh, 450th, and 450F) these are powerhouses. duration isnt that great with them, but they are Very powerful. the 400DH was a little too small for this application and 8t pinion is a maingear eater. however, this motor are very inexpensive and reliable. i wouldnt buy one of these unless you got >15C 2200mAH lipos because they need a lot of juice to turn. i just sold my 450TH because i only had 1 lipo that could come remotely close to satisfying it's appetite $50

i think the align 430LF 2nd gen will be pretty good when it comes out. 1st generation ones appear to have reliability issues though with can separation and burning out. $40-45

Astro803T...i love this motor and im using it in my heli now with an 11t pinion 1/8" shaft (i traded my mega for it). i saw them on sale for $65 though but they retail like $90. i think it has almost as much power as the JGF 450 series without the power requirements and short flight times. runs a little warm, but not as hot as the mega and this one has no vents. only gripe, is the motor is kinda big (not as phat and chunky as the AON's though). it sticks out the bottom of my heli. supposedly this motor was made to power helis larger than trex. i highly recommend this motor even though i dont know many people with it, but it is the best of all the ones i have tried. when i went to the park, the pilots with Neu's praised this motor. i havent tried a neu myself though.

get the align esc with governor mode. i have a phoenix45 myself and i have had no problems with it despite people bashing castle. castles are pretty expensive though.
Old 02-08-2006, 10:51 PM
dsltek432

Where did you see the astro for $65. Also do I need a BEC with either of those esc's? I'm not using digitals.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:02 PM
jh4db536

http://www.battlepack.com/trex.asp

66 shipped for the astro803T. run it with an 11t pinion. it has a 3330 kv rating. youll be able to pull some serious 3d with this motor down the road if you want.

i Personally dont trust onboard Becs so i run an external one. the align esc supposedly has a 2.0amp bec. the castles have a 3.0amp bec. cooling/airflow is the key. i cut holes in the shrinkwrap to improve cooling. since i run an external BEC my ESC doesnt even get warm during flight. if youre running CCPM, i would get a park BEC (1.5amp) in parallel to be safe. if not, then you will probably be okay.
Old 02-08-2006, 11:26 PM
dsltek432

Thanks for the link. Going to give it a try. Do you think the cc35 is worth the xtra $. I kinda like the idea of the usb link for programming. I did install the ccpm upgrade, so I guess I'll shop for a bec. Thanks for your help.
Old 02-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Air-Wolf-4U

Hi All!
Is there someone out there that can list some GOOD vendors that sell aftermarket parts for the MX400?? I have dealt with a couple and they have been good, but out of stocks have been an issue.

Thanks!!!!!

Old 02-09-2006, 04:26 PM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Grand RC is good. http://www.grandrc.com/home The vendors have little control over out of stock issues. They affect Tower/Horizon just as much as the little guys.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Safety Hawk
My Feedback: (6)

Is anyone using the Futaba S3110's on this Heli? Im curious as to whether they are too small. I also have some HS-56's and some HS-55's that I might try.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:15 AM
cptsnoopy

ORIGINAL: jh4db536

http://www.battlepack.com/trex.asp

66 shipped for the astro803T. run it with an 11t pinion. it has a 3330 kv rating. youll be able to pull some serious 3d with this motor down the road if you want.

i Personally dont trust onboard Becs so i run an external one. the align esc supposedly has a 2.0amp bec. the castles have a 3.0amp bec. cooling/airflow is the key. i cut holes in the shrinkwrap to improve cooling. since i run an external BEC my ESC doesnt even get warm during flight. if youre running CCPM, i would get a park BEC (1.5amp) in parallel to be safe. if not, then you will probably be okay.
Have you or do you know of anyone that has tried a 9 or 10 tooth pinion for the 803T? I am running one on our x-400/450x heli with an 11 tooth pinon and it seems good but I was wondering if the ratio was on the tall side. I have the 2.3 mm pinion set with the 9,10,11 tooth pinions and was wondering if I should take the time to drill them out to 1/8th? also, since you have had one, I have a jgf 450TH coming in the mail and was wondering if you where able to find the best rotor speed for effeciency or does the thing just need to run fast and draw tons of current? Thanks
Old 02-15-2006, 06:10 PM
jh4db536

the 11t on the astro803t is perfect for the x400. people with trex run their astros on 13t i think. no need to go lower. supposedly the ECO8 10t 1/8" shaft pinion can be used but that would yield low headspeed even on an x400.

honestly i dont think im getting high amp draws on the 11t. headspeed is borderline sport flying/3d. using equal or greater than 315mm to 335mm trex woodies might lower your amp draws. im getting really good flight times with larger blades and less pitch while the rest of the setup stayed the same. lift off for me is about 5-6degrees pitch. i dont have a tach to confirm my headspeed.

the astro motor does tend to run a little bit on the warmside, but i think it's within normal limits.

if you think the Astro has "amp draws" just wait till you try that 450TH. i just sold my 450TH because it killed one of my 12c lipos. dont get me wrong it's a monster motor, but it has a monster appetite for current. i personally wouldnt run any of those 450th/f motors again unless i get 20c lipos or 4s.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:52 AM
cptsnoopy

jh4db536,

Thanks for the info. I have already installed the 803T into my brothers 450xl (rebuild after the belt drive gear failed). I did not change the pinion so I will check the max rpms against a current logger and see what it's doing. I will be standing by with 13tooth just in case.

I am using the 15c continous/24c burst tp2100's but I will most definitely use the dpr100 on that motor to make sure I don't melt any batteries. I don't see any need to run over 2400 rpms until I can get inverted hover down pat. just installed align's 325 carbon blades, hopefully they won't suck too much extra power.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.