Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Tail out hover

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Tail out hover

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2005, 03:15 AM
floatyboy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tail out hover

I' m after some suggestions on how to conquer tail out hover. I can hover tail in, tail at 3 oclock and 9 oclock. But once i go past 3 or 9 o'clock or tail out then CRASH! I just cant rap my head around it and i need to learn it for me to develop my flying. any tips would be appreciated.[]
Old 10-28-2005, 03:46 AM
jbalat

Default RE: Tail out hover

Thats a very difficult thing to do. The trick I found is to always keep moving forwards. Even if you move very slowly, that way your mind can orient itself in the pilots seat just as if you were standing behind it... Hovering is boring anyway. No one ever said Wow !! to someone hovering.

If you can do basic hovering then you should try to work yourself up to flying a circuit. Stand in the middle of your yard and fly in a square. ie. from the left, go forward till you get to the corner, right 90 degrees on tail, forward, right 90, forward, etc...

The only thing you need to know to keep your bearings is always keep your nose and tail in line with the direction you are flying.. Its usually when you stop to hover or start drifting backwards when things get really hairy !!

When you start going faster you apply tail and a little bit of roll at the same time to get a smooth turn, the faster you go the more roll you need to keep the same height in the turn, but again always point the nose forward in the direction of travel or a little bit extra in a turn if you want to slow down...

It that fails try FMS
Old 10-28-2005, 04:02 AM
Norrmannen

Do it the other way around, first practise on the sim, then practise on the sim, then practise on the sim, then practise on the sim, then practise on the sim, then practise on the sim, then practise on the sim, then practise on the sim, then practise on the sim, then practise on the sim, then practise on the sim, then practise on the sim, then practise on the sim once more untill you can either hover nose-in as long as you want even with wind and turbulence turned on or at least manage to spin it around to tail in beafore you crash, every time, then start practising in RL...

Yes it's boring (hate sim training) but it really works and it's way cheaper...
Old 10-28-2005, 02:49 PM
floatyboy

Thanks guys, i cant afford a sim at the moment as a good one here is about $400 nzd. I may give the circuit a practise. To hover inverted i would expect you would have to be able to hover tail out, due to all controls being reversed? thanks guys
Old 10-28-2005, 03:12 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

I saw this tip somewhere on the internet...

When hovering nose in (tail out), right stick under low side of heli to keep it level.

I don't think I would try flying a circuit untill you can at least somewhat hold a hover nose in. I did, and I crashed just after it got nose in because I gave it the wrong input and couldn't correct in time.
Old 10-28-2005, 03:18 PM
bdavison
My Feedback: (1)

Here's the way I did it.

Pull it up into a hover, and keep the heli still, dont turn the tail. Now slowly walk around the heli until you are in-front of it, instead of turning the tail to make it face you. For some reason this seemed to help me a lot. You have to move really slowly so your mind and fingers can keep up. I think this works well because it doesnt let you think about it.

For some reason "thinking" about flying it causes you to mess up. You have to "feel" it.

BE VERY careful. Its really easy in nose-in to fly the helicopter into yourself if you get mixed up on the sticks. Be ready to move your butt should something go wrong.

Old 10-28-2005, 03:20 PM
floatyboy

What about putting the training gear on and lifting off tail out, never getting to high to cause the heli to tip over. Thanks for the tips
Old 10-28-2005, 03:40 PM
ultraviolet

Hey Floatyboy, Download FMS software....its free. You will need a usb or serial interface to configure.

I think FMS works almost as well as some of those $ 100 or $150 sims.
Old 10-28-2005, 07:16 PM
jbalat

Yeh, get free FMS here (its great)
http://n.ethz.ch/student/mmoeller/fms/index_e.html

I set up my Zhen Hua controller from the old dragonfly as a windows joystick using a software called ppjoy
http://www.simtel.net/product.downlo...s.php?id=75176

The cable only cost me a few dollars, otherwise there are many sites including the FMS site which will assist you to make your own cable (assuming you have a buddy plug)

Smartpropo is a good driver which uses a cable that plugs into your soundcard (that is easy to make) however I got a lot of lag using the wdm tech2 xp driver
http://www.sekiriki.jp/

Some of my friends even pulled apart their old rc controllers and fitted them with 150ohm potts and then wired directly to a pc joystick game plug.

PS. Forget about balancing on the training gear. You wont get a good feel until you are at least 3 feet of the ground. Usually the training gear vibrates or is too heavy and breaks anyway....
Old 10-29-2005, 05:41 AM
BankYank
My Feedback: (63)

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I read that when hovering nose in you need to think about moveing the sticks in the direction the heli is moving. Im still learning nose in and it does work but it does take your undevided attention!!
Pat