Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

HeliMax MX400 Problems

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

HeliMax MX400 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2006, 08:41 PM
rwthomas1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HeliMax MX400 Problems

This is the thread that won't die! It started with someone complaining that the (m)X400 was too fragile and the crash kits cost too much and have too many parts.... Hey, guess what? YOU crashed it!

Regarding Helimax and customer service. I don't see how this is a huge deal. There are plenty of parts suppliers outside of Helimax. Helihobby, Tedani, GrandRC, etc. Parts availablity is not an issue. If you expect any real service from RC hobby manufacturers you are in for a suprise. Your best bet is to support your LHS, get involved with a club and find an experienced pilot that is willing to help you.

RT
Old 02-12-2006, 03:46 PM
Mika Woodward

I like what RT says
It all boils down to this .
I don't matter what chopper-airpalne-car you get they ALL HAVE PROBLEMS and some one will cry about this that and the other > read some other forums to see my point . I have
Evo Flight -Century - Min-Aircraft - Thunder Tiger - Kyosho - Helie-MAx choppres and love them ALL !
Old 02-12-2006, 03:48 PM
Mika Woodward

I like what RT says
It all boils down to this .
I don't matter what chopper-airpalne-car you get they ALL HAVE PROBLEMS and some one will cry about this that and the other > read some other forums to see my point . I have
Evo Flight -Century - Min-Aircraft - Thunder Tiger - Kyosho - Helie-MAx choppres and love them ALL !
Old 02-13-2006, 09:28 AM
mimeauja

Yeah, let the thread die, please, I'm sick of hearing you guy's bullsh*t.

I've moved on a long time ago, and I think if you look at the date before you post, then you'll see that, since I obviously haven't responded once for about 2 months now.

I don't care...and it should be obvious, so please, let it go. And good luck with this money pit of a hobby.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:32 AM
aws23

Titan, I also have a MX400 and have flown it for several months now with few problems------I really wasn't aware that I owned so much junk----Futaba, HiTec, Arotronic radios, OS and Supertiger engines, Topflite Monocote, Great Planes models, Cool Power fuel,and so on and on and on-----Tower is pretty much the sole distributor of all these products. I would advise anybody to buy a MX400 if thats what they want and I would certainly not discourage any one from a T-Rex. They are so near alike that I can't imagine the MX400 could possibly be so junky. I have neighbor that has a T-Rex and I having flown Helis for 35+ years and he being a beginner, as you can imagine both helis fly the same and both fly quite well. I would very strongly suggest that the MX400 is not junk.
Old 02-19-2006, 11:49 AM
cptsnoopy

only a few parts on the mx-400 are "junk" the rest is not too bad at all. Junk is not really the correct wording. More like a manufacturing quality control or maybe just an engineering issue. Unfortunately it is a pretty big issue. Hopefully on the next version they will fix the big three. The elevator arm joint, the weak head and the tail rotor control rod. if that stuff was as good as the rest of the kit the heli would be pretty darn sweet. two more suggestions, first making the blade grips the same width as the trex so you could use the same blades would be very nice and second would be to start marketing 9 and 10 tooth 3.1mm (1/8) shaft size pinion since the mx-400 has a 138tooth main gear instead of the 150tooth main gear that the trex has.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:17 PM
gmmwicked

Titan,

Your "post" to this thread have been useless. Thanks...
Old 02-19-2006, 09:27 PM
dsltek432

ORIGINAL: cptsnoopy

Hopefully on the next version they will fix the big three. The elevator arm joint, the weak head and the tail rotor control rod. if that stuff was as good as the rest of the kit the heli would be pretty darn sweet.
What is the problem with the tail control rod. Did not notice a problem with mine. I wish they would offer a mx400 eccpm version like align does. Did the conversion to mine.
Old 02-19-2006, 09:47 PM
aws23

cptsnoopy, I agree that these three items are aggravating. I lengthened the tail rotor control rod by doing what I would have done anyway. Soldered on a bit of threaded rod and used a ball link on both ends. I am not a big fan of z-bends on a heli. The elevator arm was an easy fix with a drop of zap. The center hub is fixed only with an aluminum hub. I am using T-Rex 325mm carbon fiber blades on my MX400. I had some spacers that worked perfectly. This has been a common problem over the years. Nobody wants to make things simple. The aluminum frame was a big disappointment to me but I see nothing wrong with it at this point. I have had one ugly nose in full speed crash and all that was out of line was the battery tray, bent main shaft that that I always straighten at least a couple of times before replacing. I was impressed with the frame staying straight. Destroyed the canopy.If you sit this little guy down by any 60 size heli with aluminum frames and in your mind scale everything on the 60 size heli down, including the thickness of the aluminum frames to the size of an MX 400 and the frames would be similar to tin foil. Really, considering their size and weight, they are built somewhat like a Sherman tank. I am using a 12 tooth pinion and it seems to work great.
Old 02-20-2006, 03:24 PM
cptsnoopy

aws23, I agree with all those points. the only problem with a drop of zap on the elevator joint is the "risk" of an accident that renders it useless. This is an issue that will affect some much more than others. The tail control rod can be fixed in many ways, yours sounds good. Mine is still too short but it works. It is just not optimal. The rotor head, hmmm now we have to spend money. That is where just getting a better kit comes in. You spend the money the first time and don't have to wait for parts to arrive, etc. The blade grips being one of a kind can be worked around but I don't see why they went to the larger space. Maybe there was a good reason... All I know is that the x-400 that me and my brother share is flying, it loops, rolls and does anything we can ask of it with our limited skills. I only tipped it over once (less beer would have saved that one) It was from a low hover and I lost orientation and the blades touched the ground. That destroyed most of the rotor head. We had a trex 450x available for parts so we just dropped in the rotor head from that and it is flying great. Now we get the benefit of the stronger head and more options for blades at a better price. So my first post was just a nit picky look at the x-400/mx-400 as it is now. If they actually take the time to work out the little bugs and can sell it at the same price that they are now, the trex would have some very serious competition.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:41 PM
spicy

My biggest problem has been how to mount the battery and get the canopy on. Do any of you have any pictures showing how you mount a battery to the very small battery tray?
Old 02-23-2006, 02:09 PM
aws23

spicy, I cut a small piece of very thin plywood the size of the battery. cut it as long as the battery and narrow enough to fit inside the frame, glued it to inside the the frame where the battery fits and velcroed the battery to that.
Old 02-23-2006, 02:39 PM
maxpower097

Of coarse the stock models are gonna have some lower quality parts. Thats why they make upgrades.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:14 PM
cptsnoopy

ORIGINAL: maxpower097

Of coarse the stock models are gonna have some lower quality parts. Thats why they make upgrades.
I am not aware of an upgrade required for the trex 450xl to make if fly substantially better or survive a low impact accident better. I can understand someone wanting to make upgrades and sell them. It is your choice to go that route.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:08 PM
qtip67t

All
Will the Trex 450XL metal head and swashplate work on the Helimax MX400 pro-version?
I would like to replace the plastic head on Helimax with a metal head and metal swashplate based on other people's experiences.
If not which would be a good replacement metal head and swashplat?
Thanks
John
Old 05-01-2006, 02:47 PM
MX400AV8R

Question:

I have an MX400, my 2nd Heli, 1st mCCPM. I've Mastered the hover and can perform a basic circuit without problem now. During the first couple of winter months I owned this Heli I !QUOT!flew!QUOT! it in my kitchen. Needless to say I managed to run into a few things from time to time. As I broke things I replaced them with aluminum or carbon fiber parts when available.
I have replaced blades with carbon fiber 325mm CF tail boom alum. head components (all) alum., mCCPM swash plate, alum tail case and alum tail rotor assembly. If you don't already have it get the new ARK-240 tail assembly (E-bay).
Here is my problem: I have vibrations I can't get rid of![>:]
I've balanced the blades (several times) all head components are tight but don't bind. I've replaced the main shaft checked all linkages, checked blade tightness. I've replaced tail grip bearings. None of this seems to help. At hover RPM's I have an oscillation of the main frame that seems to be side to side, and an up and down movement of the tail assby.
If I don't land or increase head RPM the tail fin vibrates violently and emits a high-frequency buzz.
If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.

Also with regard to soft start does it only happen when the rotor comes toa a complete stop, or anytime the throttle is brought to base?
Old 05-24-2006, 01:26 PM
zarash

hi all,

I have recently bought an MX400 pro, everything has been working great except the tail rotor assebly as you all know MX400 pro comes with an aluminium tail assembly after flying the heli for 5 min the assebly starts to bend on one side I tighened the fastening screws to their full so many times but still it turns to one side may be its because of the oil I have put on the pitch slider and bearings thats making the boom slipery. I would appreciate your help.
Old 05-24-2006, 01:34 PM
qtip67t

I had the same problem with a Shogun. I was told to take the gearbox off, clean the boom off to remove any oil/dirt, and put a single layer of scotch tape around the gearbox mounting area then remount the gearbox. It solved the problem. Not sure if that will work on the MX though but worth a shot..

JE
Old 05-24-2006, 08:30 PM
jh4db536
My Feedback: (2)

if the pulley system is tugging on the belt too hard itll do that:

check the belt tension or friction in the tail system. the belt should be more loose than tight - enough to spin the maingear backwards against the motor cog without skipping. if you pulled the belt off and spun the tail rotor w/ blades on, it should spin for more than 10 seconds.

check the tail pullies/shafts to make sure theyre straight and true.
Old 05-24-2006, 08:44 PM
colrod12

I took a Rude approach on the tail case torquing to one side I had that on both my trex and x400. solved it by installing a hose clamp
on the case, sos it would clamp a weebit more on the boom.

not the "proper" fix but it worked
Old 01-15-2008, 04:22 PM
crashcrash

LOL.....I just bought an MX-400 for $60 to my door NIB. I've read all your posts...I'm not scared. Whom ever said they all have problems is right. I have 2 Honey Bee King v2's. Out of the box...replace the motor and ESC with brushless, the main belt drive pully has to be raised 1/32", and the stock skid brackets break like glass. ONCE all these problems were addressed....I just fly them. I highly suspect the MX400 will be the same. Address the problem areas, it will be fine. I look forward to the MX400 project. Like the King v2, parts and upgrades are abundant, so it'll be fine.

Direct to swash would have been better, but T-Rex wasn't direct to swash either. I purchased an aluminum center hub and the 120deg CCPM conversion (DX6 only handles 120deg CCPM) and I HOPE I don't have any problems. Motor is 3500kv inrunner/11T pinion with an X-Copter 33a ESC. The batteries I'll be running are 1500mAh 15C's designed for the Belt CP by E-Sky.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:32 PM
RiceRocketCar

I too just got one of the MX400 for under $60.00 at my LHS last week. I plan to use it for my new Align MD500E Fuselage. I have been flying both the TREX 450 SE and ARK X400 with all the aluminum/CNC parts. I actually do not see any difference between the two. Granted that I have the X400 upgraded with the TREX 450 SE (v1) tail. The only complaint I have is that the main gear of the X400 (and MX400) is 138T. You will need a lower tooth pinion gear for a 3550 KV motor. For my X400, I have the Astro Flight 20 motor made for TREX with a 10T pinion and it flies great (very stable with high head speed).

For my new MX400, I plan to use an Align 430L 3550 KV motor with an Align 35A ESC (with governor mode) and GY401 gyro with HS-65MG servos for cyclic/pitch and Futaba S9254 servo for tail. With this setup, I expect it to fly fine. If I crash it, I can always use either TREX parts or Helimax/ARK X400 or MicroHeli parts. I have a lot of options for both TREX and MX400.
Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 PM
crashcrash

ORIGINAL: RiceRocketCar

I too just got one of the MX400 for under $60.00 at my LHS last week. I plan to use it for my new Align MD500E Fuselage. I have been flying both the TREX 450 SE and ARK X400 with all the aluminum/CNC parts. I actually do not see any difference between the two. Granted that I have the X400 upgraded with the TREX 450 SE (v1) tail. The only complaint I have is that the main gear of the X400 (and MX400) is 138T. You will need a lower tooth pinion gear for a 3550 KV motor. For my X400, I have the Astro Flight 20 motor made for TREX with a 10T pinion and it flies great (very stable with high head speed).

For my new MX400, I plan to use an Align 430L 3550 KV motor with an Align 35A ESC (with governor mode) and GY401 gyro with HS-65MG servos for cyclic/pitch and Futaba S9254 servo for tail. With this setup, I expect it to fly fine. If I crash it, I can always use either TREX parts or Helimax/ARK X400 or MicroHeli parts. I have a lot of options for both TREX and MX400.
Thanks for the info. This is the first 400 class I've owned. I had that 3500KV/33a ESC 11T pinion in the HBKII for a while, seemed pretty good. I'm just good at hovering/FF/ nothing fancy, trust me. I won't be pushing this bird for a while. I'm looking at the stability that comes with the 400 class heli's...I hope I find it in the MX-400.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:41 PM
crashcrash

MX-400 review:

Got it in the mail 01/26/08, completed 01/30/08. First.....what I've found:

1. Weak points

a. vertical/horizontal stabs, flybar paddles, and tail rotor blades are made of a compressed granular substance like salt consistancy and they break easily.

b. the rotor head components (and I mean all of them) are weak, in this case aluminum is not bling and I'm checking on T-Rex compatability of plastic head parts.

c. tail rotor blade grip ball links are weak and break easily.

d. tail rotor servo push rod is too short and has to be extended by 3/4".

e. electronics installation of RX/Gyro/and ESC are a bear because of limited space. The motor is mounted "pinion up" taking up room in the lower frame area.

f. the anti-rotation bracket is weak and breaks easily.

g. canopy mounting pins break easily because of being a carbon composite attached by screws to the frame (T-Rex replacements here).

h. Suspect areas are the brackets that hold the tail boom and the belt drive gear assembly brackets, but time will tell.

i. battery tray....needs something done, it's too short. I'm thinking of making a slanted aluminum one.

j. I feel the stock rotor blades are a tad too long.

k. my batteries are now too small (1500mAh 15C's).

l. parts are a little pricy.

m. I don't like the skid poles

n. kit come to my door "pre-broke", and NOT the fault of the seller.

Keep in mind, I installed a 120deg CCPM upper instead of using the 180deg upper because of the DX6. The build other than the above listed problems, went OK. I used a tail rotor grip off the HBKII and modified it a bit to make it work, and it does. T-Rex parts will work when I'm ready to replace them, but I wasn't gonna wait for parts. Because of the way the rudder servo mount's, I had problems with the gyro at first because I didn't take into consideration it's backwards from the HBKII, and it took a bit to figure out why it wouldn't work and I finally got it. Because of the upper install, I had to start from ground zero on all settings, this took a long time. There were so many things that were out of whack, sometimes it become confusing. What I did was to address one problem at a time instead of jumping from one to another to another....it finally come together. Now that all issues are addressed and it's dialed in, it's very nice and I like it. I would compare it to a scratch build instead of ARF. I still got work to do on the canopy because I screwed up the paint job, but I had the one you see in the drawer, and it'll work till I finish the original canopy.

Good points:

a. the frame is very solid

b. servos are mounted into the frame using screws and nylon nuts

c. nearly all linkages are metal ball

d. lots of spare ball links (M/F) come with this kit.

e. it flies way more stable than anything I've owned to date including the HBKII.

f. easier for me to see than a 300 class heli.

g. tail response even with the standard E-Sky servos is awsome but it may be my setup.

h. awsome headspeed and power....I had to tame it a bit.

i. price....$60.00 to my door (why I bought it).

My opinion overall....a lot of work but in the end, a very nice heli. I wouldn't recommend anyone who has trouble setting these things up buy one. If a person is not mechanically inclined, it's also not a good idea to buy one. I extended the rudder push rod by welding an extension to it (.047" x 2), and using shrink tube to cover the weld (I used to weld soda cans together for fun in the Navy). Basically, I got what I paid for, and I'll have to upgrade parts as I go along (flybar paddles, etc). I could have bought a Belt-CP for $120 to my door and done a lot less work. It's a project bird and worth about $60...LMAO, but it flies GREAT.

IMHO.....buy the Belt-CP or something else unless you want to tinker and build.

Note: a special thanks to the thread starter and all you guys who posted, you saved me a lot of work and grief. As you can see...I ordered the aluminum center hub right out of the gate. The 120deg CCPM upgrade kit included the aluminum swash. The tail rotor grip assembly is off a HoneyBee King v2 and it works with minor modifications.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67087.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	865716   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79834.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	865717   Click image for larger version

Name:	In26774.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	865718  
Old 03-12-2008, 04:09 PM
crashcrash

Well....I added an aluminum battery tray on a slant....battery prob solved. I bought a cnc boom servo mount and moved the rudder servo to the boom...works great. The tail rotor shaft/assembly was replaced by T-Rex equipment....very responsive. I replaced the horizontal and vertical stabs with T-Rex, and the landing skids were replaced by T-Rex skids (minor mod). Tail boom support rods were replaced by 3/16" thin wall aluminum tubing....works great. With all the T-Rex parts and mods, this is ONE stable and good flying heli, better than the King v2's I owned...I thought they were great. I can fly it in a little wind (9mph), and it don't bother it a bit, but don't try that with the King v2. I'm running a 2200mAh 25C which give it awsome power. Personally, I find it a GOOD heli after all problems are addressed by replacing inferior parts.....gonna buy another MX-400 too....I like it that well, it just flies and flies.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.