Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Wireless camera

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Wireless camera

Old 12-17-2005, 04:26 PM
Shortymet55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wireless camera

I want a wireless camera. First of all, is it worth the money. I think it would be awesome and I love watching others videos with them up in the air. Next, will 9grams plus the weight of a 9v battery affect the ability of a HB CP2 to fly. I know there will be some affects, but how much does a training gear wieght. Next, where do you mount yours? Finally, anyone have [link=http://www.raidentech.com/24ghzmiwicoc.html]This[/link]. Is it worth the $70 some dollars. If noone has it, are there any recommendations or places cheaper to buy.
Old 12-17-2005, 05:45 PM
Shortymet55

Default RE: Wireless camera

31grams is too much correct? What about for a T-rex?
Old 12-17-2005, 06:31 PM
ultraviolet

Forget the camera dude !

I recommend a Blade CP.

It sounds like you are a Neuubeee. Take your time.

Smell the roses
Old 12-17-2005, 06:40 PM
Shortymet55

I already have a CP2. Now Im getting good at flying so im more confident. I want to see my heli fly from a new perspective. So, the camera im looking at is 1.1 ounces or 31 grams. Is that too much. I think if its a calm day I could handle it. Its just like using a heavy trainer gear, without the extra protection when landing. If a CP2 can't, do you think a T-rex can. Im pretty sure the CP2 should be able for I saw a guy fly a Piccolo with camera about the same wieght. And as for the weights im talking about, both include battery and all.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:12 PM
hueyman
My Feedback: (2)

have a look at the AP forum on this website and you'll get a good idea of what you need to get up and running.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:58 PM
Shortymet55

DO you have a more specific place to look. There are alot of catagories, and im guess videos?
Old 12-18-2005, 05:18 AM
Motions

Here's a thread on mine: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2624

I have no problem at all with the camera weight but it will not fly with the weight of a standard 9v battery. I tapped into the stock battery for power but I get a lot of interference in the video. I'm going to remove it and put it on my Raptor 50 so I can use a standard 9v battery and see if the video turns out better. This is one of those cheap generic wireless cameras.

Here's my first recorded video flying: http://media.putfile.com/Street_Crash
Old 12-18-2005, 11:50 AM
Sabot

you can get those camera cheep off ebay. i borrowed one off my friend. The vibrations from the heli seem to make the picture crack up
if you have a camcorder the reciever can plug in to that so you can use it outdoors etc
Old 12-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Shortymet55

If i put a brushless on a HB CP2, then would it work with 1.1 extra ounces. Its like 31 grams. Or is stock brushed fine. Or will neither work.
Old 12-18-2005, 09:38 PM
Shortymet55

Will it work?
Old 12-19-2005, 06:52 AM
Motions

Try it. That's the only way to know for sure.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:50 AM
Shortymet55

Yea, im sure someone else has added 31grams somehow to there heli already. I want to know if it works. The camera is $75 and i dont want to crash and break it the first flight. Although if it will work on a T-rex i still might get it to mount on my Revo.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:43 AM
extravert

I've attached that camera (or one that looks similar anyway) so my Esky Lama2. It works fine after some experimenting...

I tried connecting to the main heli battery first. It worked when on the ground, but as soon as I started the motor, interference started. I reckoned this was caused by voltage drop from the motor current taken from the battery. The camera requires 8V, but my Lama battery only provides 7.4V at rest, probably less once a hefty current draw starts.

Next I tried a PP3 9V battery. This worked fine, no interference. The Lama2 could lift it and fly stably and in control, but the revs required to keep it aloft were much more than normal - hot motors and short main battery life.

Final solution was to get a cheap pack of Lithium button cells, like the CR2032. These give 3V per cell, so I taped up 3 together. This only weighs a few grams, and powers the camera fine. I get about 2 hours of camera life from my 3 CR2032s taped together. The weight of this camera+battery doesn't seem to affect the Lama at all. These cells are much cheaper if you buy a box of 25 or 50 from EBay than getting them indivually from a shop.

As an extra weight saving I got rid of the chunky connector supplied with the camera. After cutting it open I discovered that there is a tiny power supply in the camera's side of the connector. I inserted it into a small bit of heat shrink and soldered a connector to my new Lithium battery pack directly.
Old 12-19-2005, 09:53 AM
Motions

I haven't thought of using button cells. They are a little pricey though and you can't recharge them. I may try it to see if that helps with the interference.
Old 12-19-2005, 01:29 PM
deves

Why don't you tie 31 grams of something on your HB and see how it flies?
Old 12-19-2005, 02:03 PM
thecheatscalc

heh or get a 36, mine flies GREAT with over 50g extra weight (it does have the 420Lf in it) I'm really interested in seing how this works, I've been wanting to get a camera for mine for quite a while now. oh, and motions, how the heck do know where to point the camera? also, I think your heli has some vibrations, this even if it does no good for pictures, would be a great vibration ridding tool.

PS: I have houses going for sale all around me, heh, this would be a potential profit zone!, I'd need to get some more expirence with a heli though... it'd be fun to try and train for using one of these if you took a small laser pointer and stuck it on your co-axial heli, then, have it done so it looks like the camera would and try to "videotape" something, such as a vase on the table, trashcan, whatever, but that would be challenging!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:37 AM
rcstuntflyer

That landing looked like it hurt is that carbon fiber I see in the end??