Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Battery advice

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Battery advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 08:45 PM
GaryH-Eugene

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Battery advice

I just bought a CP and wonder what battery I should go with. I am an experienced heli flyer but from quite a few years ago. I want to be able to get more run time but don't care about high-performance yet. I need to get back to flying before I think about aerobatics or 3d stuff - hover before FF!
So, if you were going to buy a couple of batteries so you could get the most flying time between charges, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

Gary
Old 03-26-2006, 08:50 PM
mikec456
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: Battery advice

I use the Thunder Power LiPo, 1320 mAh/11.1 V 13C/20C discharge rate in a Shogun V2 with a Just Go Fly 400DH and it works great and doesnt' have too much weight.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:58 PM
GaryH-Eugene

ORIGINAL: mikec456

I use the Thunder Power LiPo, 1320 mAh/11.1 V 13C/20C discharge rate in a Shogun V2 with a Just Go Fly 400DH and it works great and doesnt' have too much weight.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Can I still use the stock motor and do I need a heat sink to go with it?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:00 PM
mikec456

If you go with a Lipo you'll need a ESC for Lipo's
Old 03-26-2006, 09:32 PM
GaryH-Eugene

Any advice on what esc to use? Would I just be better off sticking with the stock battery and just getting a couple more?
Old 03-26-2006, 09:38 PM
Steve Collins
My Feedback: (8)

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

You do not need an "esc for lipos". The only time you would need a separate ESC is if you convert to a brushless motor. I have flown my Blade CP for quite some time using lipos with the stock setup. It is good advice to use heat sinks on both motors.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:47 PM
GaryH-Eugene

Thanks! I have been reading quite a bit here and never saw anything about a different esc for lipos - but what do I know?

I found a 3 cell, 1320 11.1v at Hobby Lobby for 54.90 - is that about right?

G
Old 03-26-2006, 10:41 PM
sh0rtlilvietb0i

oh boy... I just saved you 40 dollars on a lipo pack, its an 11.1 v 1300mah for 19.99 heres the link! http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=635
Old 03-26-2006, 10:43 PM
sh0rtlilvietb0i

OH, and it also states that it will give you over 20 minutes of flight on the blade cp! awesome buy and save

I also found a 1900 mah for 30 dollars more and its 49.99
Old 03-27-2006, 12:01 AM
GaryH-Eugene

Too bad they are out of stock... But, they do have a 7.4v 1200mah - wouldn't that give me a boatload of flying time over the stock battery? And they are only 18.00.

Gary
Old 03-27-2006, 12:31 AM
Hootcher

My 2 cents worth here.
I just read on one of the forums that these $19.99 1300 packs were NOT all good ones?
Some people having good luck and others having real problems.
ANYWAY
Has anyone tried the Kokam 11.1v 1500 mah 3 cell lipos in the Blade CP?
I have multiple packs that I use in my planes and was wondering if they could be used in my NEW CP?
I have read at Horizon that they don't recomend anything over the 1320mah because of weight
Any opinions?
Thanks
Hootcher
Old 03-27-2006, 12:50 AM
mcrcshrike

I am using the Kokam 1500 3 cell (8C). On sale at FMA for about $25. They are heavier, and I have converted to brushless, but they are fine for hover practice.

http://www.fmadirect.com/new_applica...FebSpecial.htm

Old 03-27-2006, 06:30 PM
Hootcher

mcrcshrike:
Thanks for the info.
As I am new to these type batts with the White 3 wire BALANCE connetor, do you have to charge the battery through that 3 wire?
I use a Triton charger for all my batteries and it only has the standard 2 wire set-up.

Any info and help will be appreciated.
Hootcher
Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 PM
HighSierra
My Feedback: (2)

Not sure if that charger of yours is Lipo compatible... Do a search on LiPo safety and learn all about them. There is a danger factor, but if you follow the rules you'll have no issues (like burning your house down). With regards to the balance charge port, you don't have to use it, but by using a balancer you'll get better pack longevity.

I wouldn't get much more than a 1320 mah pack for the blade, as they get a bit more heavy after that. Also plan on burning up tail motors a bit more frequently. I believe they also reccomend going to a 9 tooth pinion on the motor along with the heat sinks (I'd buy 2 of each front and rear). You'll also be able to run the Carbon Blades on your BCP (barely flys using carbon blades and NiMh) When it comes to LiPo's you get what you pay for...I like Thunder Power, others like Kokam...the brand-less cheapo packs are junk and some are out right dangerous (reports of packs not being soldered together...and when a Lipo shorts, it's ruined and probably will catch fire and explode). Same thing goes for chargers, Get a good LiPo charger with the computer brain (I've got a Multiplex and couldn't be happier) and stay away from those wall plug-in transformer style charger unless you want to possibly burn your house down)

All in all, if you don't want to run the carbon blades and just want to hover and putt around, I'd just go with several NiMH packs and not have to worry about chargers, pinion gearsm and frying tail motors at a faster rate..... But getting the heat sinks isn't going to hurt anything and cost is minimal.

Cheers
Old 03-27-2006, 09:24 PM
sh0rtlilvietb0i

I think you plug the balancer to that wire.. i have no idea, I only have one lipo and i only use it when i do some inverted stuff. also, DO NOT BUY THE 7.4 VOLT! the blade cp's come with a 9.8 (or was it .4?) volt battery.
Old 03-27-2006, 10:23 PM
Hootcher

HighSierra:
Thanks for responding.
The main reason I wish to use the 1500mah packs is because I already own 2, which i have been using in my electric planes
My TRITON charger(s) are made by Electrifly. They are made to charge,discharge and cycle all battery types including Lithium-Polymer or Li-Po.
With respect to the extra weight, I just read somewhere on a forum that the 1500 weigh about the same as the STOCK NiMh pack that comes with the CP.
So I guess I figured if they, the stock batt and the 1500 LiPo, weigh about the same and the LiPo delivers more duration, it would be OK to use thew 1500.
I have also just read that the little extra weight can be a plus in light wind and perhaps better for a beginner such as myself to have a litle extra weight to slow down the reaction.
I remeber when I was learning to first fly gas planes that my trainer had me add some weight to the plane which made it much more stable in flight while first learnng.
I know Heli's are NOT plane and fly much different.
I used to own 2 Raptor 30's, which I had to sell because of health issues and medical bills.
I am now disabled and retired and have decided I want to get back into the Heli, but in a SMALLER way to help take up time, which I have lots of anymore.
I race R/C cars on a dirt oval from fall to mid winter, then plan on Heli indoors until spring comes to go outdoors for even more Heli and Plane flying.
I have had the Blade CX for about 3 weeks and have near 25 flights with no broken parts "YET" and figured the next step should be the Blade CP.
Well, I am sorry for getting so OFF the subject.
THANK
Hootcher

Old 03-27-2006, 11:33 PM
mcrcshrike

ORIGINAL: Hootcher

mcrcshrike:
Thanks for the info.
As I am new to these type batts with the White 3 wire BALANCE connetor, do you have to charge the battery through that 3 wire?
I use a Triton charger for all my batteries and it only has the standard 2 wire set-up.

Any info and help will be appreciated.
Hootcher
Yes, that is a balance connetor that mates up to their new charger (NO other that I know of). The Triton, set up properly, should work just like any other Li-Po charger (2 wire). Balancing helps save packs (indiviual cells in the pack) and extends their usefull life. Safer too!
HighSierra has a lot of good points. Learn as much as you can to be as safe as you can.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:03 AM
Hootcher

mcrcshrike:
Thanks once again.
I don't want to sound like I am beatting a dead horse,however I am still not clear on how the 2-wire connector from the charger can mate up to the 3-wire of the Balance Lead.
I have searched different on line hobby shops for some kind of adapter,but as yet not found any.
I have also sent an email to both Horizon and TowerHobbies to see if someone can clarify this issue for me.
Tower Hoobies sell the NEW KoKam 3-Cell 1500mah LiPo's and the pictures show the Balance Lead on the new packs.
They also recommend the Triton as the charger to charge them with.
Yet THEY don't show an adapter to connect from the charger to the LiPo.
Maybe I should stick with the NiMh pack that came with the Bird and pick up a couple more of them.
Any thoughts on Learning to Hover and simple sport flyinf using the NiMH batteries?
My main reason for going with the LiPo's was the longer duration allowed.
More time to put into each lesson, so to speak
Thanks for all the help
Hootcher
Old 03-28-2006, 08:37 AM
ewr101

the two wine line is a discharge line. it goes to the 4-in-1. (output)

the three wire line is the balance charger line. (input)

you can use the two wire line to charge the battery if you want. (input/output)
Old 03-28-2006, 01:55 PM
1LO64

ORIGINAL: sh0rtlilvietb0i

oh boy... I just saved you 40 dollars on a lipo pack, its an 11.1 v 1300mah for 19.99 heres the link! http://www.helidirect.com/product_in...roducts_id=635

I have an extra one with about 10 cycles through it....... 15$ shipped anywhere in the US

James
Old 03-28-2006, 03:43 PM
GaryH-Eugene

email sent...
Old 03-28-2006, 10:31 PM
mcrcshrike

Hootcher,
I was talking about the CellPro system from FMA. They are marketing a balancing charger for THEIR balancing connector on their brand packs.
To the best of my knowledge you can not use the Triton charger as a balancing charger without other electronics in between it and the pack being charged.
I would not buy any brand battery if the pack manufacture could not supply the necessary information and/or charging equipment to do the job right.
I do not know what kind of packs you have, but, 3 wire leads on a 3 cell pack does not make much sense to me and my not be for balancing. A monitor lead, perhaps?
I guess you would just charge them like you have been for you airplanes, as outlined in your chargers instructions.

Shrike