Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Neat trick to make NOSE-IN hover easier!

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Neat trick to make NOSE-IN hover easier!

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 06:10 AM
heli-john

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Neat trick to make NOSE-IN hover easier!

It isn't! I was saying there are several ways of approaching this business and that is one of them.
Old 05-13-2006, 10:22 AM
oops

Hi John68.

I think I can answer some of your question, although I am still on the same path as you and not quite there yet.

But I'm going through the nose-in hover bit presently.

Anyway, I can fly towards myself. Seems OK. My mind is oriented behind the Heli now, at least for FF and FFF. I just kept flying the simulator up and down to get that into my head. I can fly and hover figure 8's and circuits. I can transition tail-in, left and right. It's the hover bit that's hard.

Anyway, I can hover a few feet away at nose left/right and even a little towards me. But when I move the tail before me, I lose my perspective on the heli's orientation enough that I can't hold a stable up-close stationary hover. So I have to flick the tail around and recover.

This seems to be the "Recommended" way to learn nose-in. eg, Start tail in. THen 45 degrees left and right. THen 90... THen 135...

My "remote perspective" is fine for 90 each way. Although I do notice my position holding is not as good. I can do it for a minute OK, but I need more space than tail-in. (eg, 2 to 3 feet either way, rather than 1 to 2.) Plus my collective and rudder isn't as snappy as when I'm tail in.

But I can feel the improvement each week.

ANyway, I've had a fun day today... Smashed two heli's, 3 sets of blades and just rebuilding one presently... And finally figured out how to set up a AVCS gyro. Well, mostly... Still some slow-hunting issues. Trying some different circuits in the repair work.

Got the AluSEF running nicely, and was very impressed with it's handling, but then had issues with radio glitching all of a sudden so landed (when you get full cyclic deflection on a glitch, it's time to stop flying for a while !!!)

David
Old 05-13-2006, 01:21 PM
john68

ORIGINAL: heli-john

It isn't! I was saying there are several ways of approaching this business and that is one of them.
What isn't? That's pretty vague at best. You were saying there were several ways of approaching this business and that is one of them. What is "That?"

If you are saying "propping up the rotor" isn't the same as "putting the stick under the low side," then I must not have a clue as to what "propping up the rotor" is. What is "propping up the rotor?" It sounds to me like you put the stick under the low side of the rotor to "prop it up."

Am I wrong? Really, now I am confused, and aggrivated. This is harder than actually flying.

Can someone send me a link to an English to English translator?
Old 05-13-2006, 03:06 PM
btoby

just move the stick the same dir the helli is giong
Old 05-13-2006, 06:46 PM
heli-john

Are you just a wind up merchant?
Old 05-14-2006, 02:50 AM
john68

Hi Heli-John,

I really don't get it. Seriously, I am lost. What is a wind up merchant? I don't sell anything. I am just curious what you think I mean. I am really confused, and I don't mean to irritate you, but it seems I am.

can you help me understand?

I think we are agreeing, but I could be wrong.

Again, I apologize if I am doing something, or saying somethign that aggrivates you. Really, I appreciate all information, but something is not being communicated correctly, because I don't understand what you mean.

Thanks,

John Phillis
Old 05-14-2006, 02:55 AM
john68

nevermind, I don't care. I just took my raptor 50 V2 SE up for it's maiden, and I was nose-in hovering in the first 3 minutes of flight. I flew a couple of patterns and set it down with 1/2 a tank of fuel left. I am satisfied that I can fly it. I am going to put a scale fuse on it. I did a nice flair out landing, and really shocked myself with how easy it was.

I am satisfied. If no one else is, I suggest you follow someone else's direction. I obviously have enough experience in R/c that this isn't aproblem.

thanks fo rhte input. I read it all.

John
Old 05-15-2006, 02:44 AM
Heli007

Hey john you are not loco in la cabesa and that sounds like a great method. Been in rc for a very long time and never heard anyone mention your way. To bad I didn't try that when I started flying helicopters, because at that time we didn't even have simulators or gyros and I learned the hard way. Did I crash alot? Not really because I was very careful and didn't go beyond my limits but I crashed enough not to make the same mistake again. I stayed within my parameters and if it took a little longer then thats what I did. The thing now is everyone is referring you to the simulator because thats what everyone does and its the norm supposedly. For me like I mentioned it wasn't the norm and I learned a diffrent way. Would I take advantage of a simulator if I had one? Of course I would but I get bored really fast. I would rather be out flying my helicopter then practicing on the sim because I feel Like I'm grasping at real live flying then just sitting there on a sim getting bored. I guess my style is not for everyone but it suits me just fine Heli007
Old 07-06-2008, 07:19 PM
skl1cent

i learned to nose in hover on my lama v4 my first, heli, and now i got a blade cp pro and im already flying that nose in too a little bit, not tooo stable b/c of the wave action but im getting the hang of it haha. IM getting a blade 400 this weds gf got it for me, so im really excited about that. Ima keep flying my blade cp pro. till i get better at it, then ill move to the blade 400 hehe.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:01 PM
heliaction

In a real heli there is the seat-of-the-pants input as well as visuals of the horizon and sound. Though I agree the sound of the engine on a model does help the only real reference is visual and that's why it is easier to learn to fly a full size helicopter.
heli-john, are you a heli pilot?? I am and ill tell you flying a full size heli is by no means easier. period.

Isn't it amazing how a thread can run....... good advice guys
Old 07-10-2008, 03:47 AM
heli-john

I stopped flying now - medicals etc. but it was way easier.
Old 07-10-2008, 07:49 AM
gregt

I'm not a fan of any "tricks" that don't work regardless of which way the heli is pointing. They may help temporarily, but I think they just get in the way in the long run. If you have to think "it's tail in so do this, it's nose-in so do that" it's a bad way to learn. JMO. In a crisis situation you are going revert back to these "primitive" techniques, but they don't work in crisis situations because you don't have time to figure out which one applies.
Old 07-10-2008, 08:57 AM
ea01bg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A word on distant flying, Someone mentioned that pilots that fly small planes are not as concerned when the planes are farther away. As a reformed plank flyer I can say with all certainty that that is true. Planes Follow a very predictable flight path and barring severe wind gusts will stay on their path until changed. They don’t have to worry so much about having to pick up small visual clues as to the planes intention, its going to go where they point it. Helis on the other hand require constant adjustment to keep them where we want them. As the Heli gets farther away its harder to pick up the visual clues to make the adjustments’. I myself just started fast forward flight. When Im flying forward at a med. Or fast I don’t mind having the Heli farther out. Once in forward flight it acts almost like a plane requiring less adjustment. But if I need to stop while I’ve got the Heli farther away and hove then its back to picking up all those slight visual clues and it becomes much harder.