Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

T-REX as first Heli?

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

T-REX as first Heli?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 09:52 PM
richohealey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default T-REX as first Heli?

I am thinking abou getting into helis. but with my crrent income and he price of hem, i would like to get a single machine to take me from leaning to 3D. is the TREX appropriate? i was looking at the SE. i realise hat a 30 size glow would probably be better, but i really want to be able to fly at home. i'm not planning to try and each myself, there is a guy at he cb i fly at who said he would give it a shot on he buddy box with me, and said it would probably work, bu left the final decision with me (wisely).

what o you guys think?
Old 05-22-2006, 10:10 PM
Loswave

Default RE: T-REX as first Heli?

If you got somebody to help you on the buddy box I'd go for it. I got my CP because I had no one to help, I plan on getting a trex sometime this summer, when I'm worthy. Just be prepared that it will cost alot more to fix, to my knowledge, than a cheaper heli.
Old 05-22-2006, 10:19 PM
richohealey

cool that's pretty much what i wanted o hear. will keep you guys informed!
Old 05-25-2006, 09:46 AM
The Sandman

I have a hummingbird and a Sabre V2 I learn on and have built a T-REX SE on the side. Once I get the flying down on the micros....I will graduate to the SE....

only regret (maybe)- tell me if i am wrong someone): I think I might have wanted to try a BELL (Mechanical) mixing bird FIRST, even though I hear they have more !QUOT!SLOP!QUOT!, they are easy for a beginner to setup (vs CCPM- if you haven't done it before it can be kinda intimidating - especially w/o help) -

But I think the T-REX is a great bird, constructionwize....and I hear that the larger helis have better TAIL AUTHORITY and w/ heading hold gyros....it should actually be a more controllable experience.....or so I have been told. I might suggest putting weights FAR OUT on the flybars AND add some overall weight for more stability. It will be a bit more sluggish, but that should compensate for the responsiveness that may frustrate beginners.

My 2 Cents.

Sandman
Old 05-25-2006, 01:24 PM
credence
My Feedback: (2)

It might be worth noting that a .30 size nitro bird (like the raptor) will cost you about the same that the t-rex with a decent setup will. Maybe even more if you get the T-rex SE.

Of course if you want to fly at home, then a nitro bird does you no good. Just thought i'd let you know anyways .
Old 05-25-2006, 09:24 PM
richohealey

i had considered a nitro ship, but by my calculations, i can get a trex SE set up mad for the same price, and not have to pay for 30% fuel when i start to want to go mental. my theory is that the SE still comes with all the stock parts, so i will put them on at first, probably break some, and when i get the swing of it i'll put all the cool awesome shiny wicked (read: good) bits on. sound good?
Old 05-25-2006, 09:55 PM
Loswave

Go for it, just remember, that your lipos don't last forever, and they're not cheap either. I'm starting to want one, my CP doesn't have the power I want, and I still havn't even finished learning nose in hovering!! then again, I sorta jumped ahead in the tail in dept...
Old 05-26-2006, 03:21 AM
Karyn

ORIGINAL: richohealey

my theory is that the SE still comes with all the stock parts, so i will put them on at first, probably break some, and when i get the swing of it i'll put all the cool awesome shiny wicked (read: good) bits on. sound good?
No, the SE is the full Bling and doesn't come with stock parts.
Old 05-28-2006, 03:58 AM
richohealey

oh.. maybe it was an ad i was reading. now that i think of it i think it was, there is a placein the US that wil give you all the stock parts for nuthin with it. but i think iwill just have to jump ion the deep end and hope for the best. and as far as the life of lipos i think dollar for flight ratio i'll do better with this (if we only consider fuel and not crash damage). $80 lipo (100-200 flights)
$80 of 20% fuel, which is 8 litres, >40 flights. GO electric!

nothing against glow, i just bought a nice new saito. i just think that electric is the way to go. thanks for all your support and input. also, is nose in/tail in hover just which side of the heli is facing you? i got the impression that nose in meant forward flight, bt suddenly that seems wrong.....
Old 05-28-2006, 12:14 PM
GaryH-Eugene

also, is nose in/tail in hover just which side of the heli is facing you? i got the impression that nose in meant forward flight, bt suddenly that seems wrong.....
Nose-in vs. tail-in refers to what part of the heli you are looking at, usually while hovering.

G
Old 05-30-2006, 05:32 AM
Karyn

ORIGINAL: GaryH-Eugene

also, is nose in/tail in hover just which side of the heli is facing you? i got the impression that nose in meant forward flight, bt suddenly that seems wrong.....
Nose-in vs. tail-in refers to what part of the heli you are looking at, usually while hovering.

G
No

It refers to the way the heli is facing relative to you.

Tail in means the tail is pointing at you, you are standing behind it. This is the easiest way to learn hover. The direction you push the cyclic stick is the direction you see the heli move.

Nose in means the nose is pointing at you. This is the hardest hover position to master. While the cyclic stick still operates the heli the same way, you see it moving in total reverse. ie, you push left, the heli moves to it's left, but to your right... or you push forwards, the heli moves forwards and comes towards you.

You should learn to watch the nose of the heli, not the tail.

Karyn
Old 07-10-2006, 07:40 PM
richohealey

ah righto. i'm a 3d plank pilot so bizarre reversed controls don't scare me. BRING IT ON!!!
Old 07-10-2006, 11:30 PM
Raylon

ORIGINAL: Karyn

No

It refers to the way the heli is facing relative to you.

Tail in means the tail is pointing at you, you are standing behind it. This is the easiest way to learn hover. The direction you push the cyclic stick is the direction you see the heli move.

Nose in means the nose is pointing at you. This is the hardest hover position to master. While the cyclic stick still operates the heli the same way, you see it moving in total reverse. ie, you push left, the heli moves to it's left, but to your right... or you push forwards, the heli moves forwards and comes towards you.

You should learn to watch the nose of the heli, not the tail.

Karyn
That's what Gary said.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:19 AM
TurboMoe

The Trex is awesome. I started on a Blade CP, learned to hover etc. I moved up when the lack of tail control of the BCP started driving me nuts. For me that was the biggest difference. On the BCP the tail somewhat has a mind of it's own and with a head hold gyro on the Trex it's steady as a rock.

However I think learning on the BCP made me a better pilot, because I was so used to constant tail inputs. It's like driving a car without ABS in the snow and then driving one with ABS in the snow. You can focus more on flying the Trex because you don't have to be worried the tail is going to zoom out one way or the other.

And going for the the Bling head stuff right off the bat is a good idea IMO. I've crashed my blinged XL three times, and I've replaced the feathering shaft twice, flybar three times, and the main shaft once that's it on the fully blinged head. If I didn't have metal everything else (blade grips, flybar cage, etc.) all three of my crashes would've cost me a lot more than what they did. The last crash I was flying inverted and put it straight in head first on pavement. Everything on the head was fine aside from the feathering shaft and flybar. If it were the plastics it would've probably broke it all.

Just take your time and don't get discouraged.