Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Snellflight HoverFly >

Snellflight HoverFly

Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Snellflight HoverFly

Old 12-26-2002, 03:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snellflight HoverFly

I just got a HoverFly. This is my first heli of any kind... Although I've flown the sim a lot. I got it trimmed out and can keep it pretty stable. I was wondering if any of you experienced heli pilots have flown this tethered whirlybird, and, if so, how does it compare in flight characteristics to other micro helis or even larger?

Thanks
Old 12-31-2002, 06:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Snellflight HoverFly

Well, if no one else has any experience with it, I'll put in my opinion....

This is my first heli of any kind. I have flown on the sim a lot, and I hold 2 National Championships in fized wing aerobatics, so I'm not a newcomer to the sport. Still, helis are different, I know.

Out of the box, the little chopper is just sitting there, completely ready to go... all you have to do is plug the power supply and transmitter... well, almost. Depending on the Tx you use, you have to swap around small jumper wires inside the controller unit (which plugs between the outlet and the heli). It took me a few extra hours to get it airworthy... the tail was backwards when I took it out of the box! I didn't think it would be wrong, so along I went. When I would power up, right before lift-off, the tail would usually run away in one direction, and if I tried to correct, it would spin violently the other way. After examining pictures on their website and realizing the tail was rotated 180 degrees on the boom, I understood completely that the gyro was trying to stop tail movement, but by putting in the same input... learn from simple mistakes I guess.

Once I got that straightened out, I was able to hover it all around the room on the first flight. I was actually surprised how stable I was able to get it with a little trimming. I can't compare it to anything else, at least not right now. Similarly to what I've read about micro helis, it is a bit unstable if you lift it off slowly, so I learned to accelerate it quickly to stabilize it. Several times I reduced the throttle too much right after climbout and it bounced on the skids, with no damage. For such a little, lightweight structure, it is quite durable. Sometime the boom can slide down out of its proper position, but you can push it right back up.

Maybe someone can comment on a flight characteristic I found quite interesting... I could find a throttle setting where the heli would descend slowly until it got into ground effect, the noise would change momentarily, and then it would climb again. If I kept that same throttle setting, it would do it for a long time. Do all helis do this, or just the small ones?

Anyways, I hope my opinion may help anyone contemplating purchasing a Hoverfly. I think it's a neat little ship (not as neat as a CP Hornet, but not as expensive, either ), and I think it will help me move to a higher performance heli faster than some of the other 'helicopter impersonators' out there (Vectron, Draganfly, etc) because I can work on pirouettes and the such with a real tail rotor.