Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

MS Composit AS350B Ecureuil Build Thread, Lots Of awesome photos....

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

MS Composit AS350B Ecureuil Build Thread, Lots Of awesome photos....

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2006, 08:23 AM
Kdill2160

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MS Composit AS350B Ecureuil Build Thread

And my little tip......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To determine if your rudder channel is reversed without seeing your heli spin wildly out of control, try this.

Rotate the tail rotor blades so they are perpendicular to the ground (straight up and down) Look at the lower tail rotor blade. Leading edge should be facing FORWARD. If it's not this tip MAY NOT apply to you.

Anyway, apply LEFT rudder on the radio, watch which way the tail blade moves, In this position think of it as a ships rudder, the leading edge should swing towards the right steering the nose of the "ship" towards the left. Look at the diagram I made. (sorry about the quality). It should help visualize this. Pay attention to which direction the servo arm moves!

Anyways.... to tell if your gyro is working correctly or is reversed, after doing the above and seeing which way the servo arm moves, jerk the NOSE of the heli to the RIGHT, you should see the servo try to apply LEFT rudder, if it doesn't your GYRO is reversed. NOT The rudder (see above). I hope this makes sense. Someone explained this to me and I've used it since. I've only had a whirling dirvish of a heli once when spooling up. (that was due to the tail motor being plugged into the 4 in 1 reversed, completely my fault).

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Kdill2160

Mechanical setup of tail rotor......
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's how to do the mechanical setup of the tail rotor. With the transmitter at mid stick! I disconnect the ESC and plug in a flight pack battery to do my setups. Center the tail servo horn. Make sure the tail servo linkage is loose or disconnected. Move the tail rotor control lever so the pitch slider is approx in the center of the total travel on the tail shaft. Set your caliper to 25mm. Again with the tail blades perpendicular to the ground, fold both blades forward. Measure the distance between the tips of the rotor blades with your caliper. It should be 25mm.
When you have that much distance between the blade tips it's time to secure your tail pushrod in THAT POSITION with the servo horn centered and 25mm between the blade tips. This is what determines the locked down length of your tail servo pushrod.

When done correctly you should be able to lift off in RATE mode with little or no rudder input, provided your revo mix and gyro are setup correctly. You may need to add a click or two of rudder trim, that should be about it. IN RATE MODE.

I'm going to need some help myself setting up the heading hold feature of my new MS-044 Gyro, the provided manual is a little confusing and leaves some unanswered questions.

Here's some pics to show the completed tail setup.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 08:31 AM
Kdill2160

Oh yeah......

here's a close up of the finished main gear setup with the tail gear set for proper mesh. The tail drive gear mesh is set much like the motor pinion gear mesh. There are 4 hardened SHC screws which go through the side of the frame and then through the 2 tube housings, each one works like a clamp on the tail boom. By loosening the four SHC scews you can slide both tube housings up or down. ANd the boom in & out. Pay attention to keep the tail boom absolutely perpendicular to the main shaft. This really matters when trying to get a good gear mesh.

After a little experimentation I was able to acheive a nice quiet gear mesh with full contact of the tail drive pinion to the main gear.

I need to get some clarification but it seems there are a couple part numbers representing the same pinion gear. The drawing in the manual shows part# E963 as the pinion on the motor and tail drive shaft but the text in the manual lists part# E563 Pinion 14T/3, and I have a spare part # E564 Pinion 14T/4. I need to find out the difference between these parts for correct replacement ordering.

The MS Composit Website lists:
E564 Pinion 14T/4
E563 Pinion 14T3 For CH-46
E963 Pinion 14T/3 For Ecureuil

I ordered spares and received E564 Pinion Gear 14T/4 What does the/3 /4 mean?

Here's a close up of the gear train.....

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 08:35 AM
Kdill2160

For any and all who are following this thread......:

I'll continue the build thread and be posting details of the fuselage build, detail, paint and finish.

Here's a pic of what I'm starting with,

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 08:38 AM
Kdill2160

Tail tips......

This tip is from Eric Larson, I read his X-3D setup page, and immediately found a problem that he has experienced:

One of the tail blade grip screws appears to be slightly longer than the other. During the build you need to make absolutely certain the bearings are seated completely in the tail blade grips, mine were a little tight fitting and took a bit of presure to seat them fully into the grips. IF you are satisfied that the bearings are seated completely. The following is Erics tip summed up:

Mount the tail blade grips. and look carefully at the gap between the rear of the blade grip and the tail rotor hub, they should be the same space apart. Eric recommends grinding a bit off the longer screw with a dremel or similar grinder.

Mine are not the same length just looking at them, but I want to be positively sure they are different length and not just appear that way because of unseated bearings. You can look at the head end of the screws in the blade grips and see if the same amount is visible but this is not a precise enough method for me.

I have a different method to verify any difference and I will do that: it is as follows: I'll use a surface plate and a height gauge used in machining. I'm going to pull the small screws with the bearings and actually measure them to the nth degree and see what the difference really is before grinding away any of the screw.

See my pic prior to dissasembly and repair......

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 08:42 AM
Kdill2160

Method of testing and results......

I used a standard height gauge and a standard granite surface plate. Accuracy .0001" on the height gauge, accuracy of surface plate is .000001"

After zeroing the height gauge I took measurements of both screws total length, they were within .001 on the height gauge.

After measuring total length I also measured the height to the bearing race of each. ( the bearings are NOT removable from the screws). Again they were within .001 on the height gauge.

So the gap shown in the previous photos is due to some other problem, either both bearings were not seated fully into the blade grips or there is a problem with the blade grips themselves.

I will re-install the bearings and re-install the complete tail rotor hub assembly and check the gap again.

Here's a couple pics showing my testing method.

Stay tuned......

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 08:45 AM
Kdill2160

Fuselage finishing tips......

I'll share my first tips to getting a good looking canopy/fuselage.

1) Invest in a pair of "Lexan" scissors sold for car bodys.

2) Never use them for anything else.

3) Buy a package of standard sandpaper type "emery boards" (spelling) The things your wife uses on her finger nails. Cheap @ the drug store and the best tool for finishing the edges of your cuts on the canopy or fuselage plastic. Try it you'll like it.... Here's a pic the Motor Cover all trimmed up and edges clean.

That's what I use and they work GREAT.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 08:54 AM
Kdill2160

Main fuselage.........

I've got the Canopy Front Part trimed and fitted for the Motor Cover. Take your time and pay attention to the cut lines shown in the manual and use the color pictures on the product packaging as a reference.

Remember you can always take a little more off, but you can't put any back on.

Oh yeah, using the emery boards, DON'T go accross the edge of the cut piece, instead go length wise while gently supporting the surrounding areas with your fingertips (As close to the area you're working as possible)
You'll be surprised how quicky the emery board cleans up rough edges.

They have just the right amount of flexability and the rounded ends are great for reaching into tight spots and curves.

Here's a couple pics of the Canopy Front Part with the Motor Cover in place and without.

Back to work for me, enjoy.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 08:56 AM
Kdill2160

Canopy Front Part...........

Here's a pic of the almost finished Canopy Front Part. I still need to remove the battery hatch portion from the bottom........

Next, the tail boom......

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:04 AM
Kdill2160

Available upgrades.........

Here's a pic of the currently available upgrades for the AS350 Ecureuil.

Aluminum Main Blade Grips
Aluminum Tail Blade Grips w/hub & slider horn
Transparent Window Set

Time to go fly my Blade CP...before it gets dark.....back in a bit for the tail boom.........

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:08 AM
Kdill2160

Fuselage......goin to the paint shop.....

Well, I've got the fuselage trimmed and cleaned up. Need to remove the battery hatch and the opening for the main shaft then on to shooting the base color: White.

I did a small detail and created a working air deflector at the Air intake opening in fuselage just in front of the Motor Cover. I used some of the timmed off plastic from the fuselage and made a "scoop" which directs the airflow down towards the motor area within the fuselage... plus I did not like being able to look directly into the top of the Motor Cover.

BTW: JMHO Never use acetone on any plastic for cleaning prior to paint. USE rubbing alcohol. Acetone will attack certain plastics.

Here's a couple pics of the mostly trimmed and complete fuselage and "Air Scoop"... Enjoy.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 AM
Kdill2160

The paint shop.......
Tools of my paint shop:

Very fine sable hair brushes
Diamond scribe
Surgeons Scalpel w/spare blades
1/16", 1/8" and 1/4" flexible masking tape
1/2" or 3/4" standard masking tape
plain white wrapping paper. ( don't use newspaper for masking, the newsprint will rub off on your paint)
Testors Aztek airbrush (I've tried many, this is the best) Dual Action.
Selection of tips & cups for airbrush
Airbrush Thinner & Cleaner
I use Testors Model Masters if I'm shooting enamel, and I use Parma FasColor if shooting acrylics.

Pick your own favorite paint and tools, these are what I always use and I usually get very good results.

Back to work for me.....

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:13 AM
Kdill2160

A little extra beef.......

I decided to reinforce the thru holes on the Motor Cover and Shafting Cover.
Here's what I did to drill the holes which secure the covers.

1) Glue the thread inserts to the locations on the Canopy Front Part and Tail Boom.

2) Fit the covers to get the best alignment and secure in place with transparent tape.

3) Using an undersized drill bit, make a pilot hole through both the cover and the thread insert at the same time(while taped in place). This will give you good alignment of the screws when finally fastening the covers in place.

4) Remove the covers (Motor Cover, Shafting Cover).

5) Cut some small squares of scrap fuselage plastic and glue one using CA on the INSIDE of the covers directly behind each screw hole.

6) Redrill the re-inforcing piece (right thru the original hole made with pilot bit) after the CA has setup. Now the screw holes won't tear as easily since they are a little close to the edges of the covers. Get ready for Paint!

Here's a couple pics showing what I did.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:16 AM
Kdill2160

Goin to the paint shop.....

All parts cut and sanded, all holes drilled, all covers fitted. Next, clean with rubbing alcohol..... and shoot some color....... I'm so bummed I crashed My Blade CP badly for the first time today (avoiding the kids) trashed a set of Hornet 2 blades and a main shaft. Time for a rebuild.... oh well.

Back to work... here's couple pics before I shoot any paint....

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:19 AM
Kdill2160

In living color..............
Got done shooting the paint tonite....... Need to do a little touch up here & there, but all in all I think it looks AWESOME!!!!!!!!!

So here's a pic with paint but without graphics.......and before touch up.

Tommorow touch up & graphics..... in between flying my Blade CP and family time.....I'll get em done......Stay tuned.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Kdill2160

Details....Details.....
Waitin for the fuselage paint to dry completely, don't want to handle the fuselage just yet and leave fingerprints. Tommorow the graphics..... but today I needed something to do... So I went back to the Stokes Litter to see what I could come up with.

I had a little luck and found some screen that I think works well. Take a look..... here's a couple pics.....enjoy.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:29 AM
Kdill2160

Final details.........
Time to detail this thing a bit more....... I finished cutting all the graphics. So now it's time to install all the "stickers" and see what she looks like. Here's a pic before I get started. Time to wash the hands and get to it!

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:34 AM
Kdill2160

A little tease...........

Here's a pic with the windows on.........

Gotta go to the P.O. and do some shipping...... they were closed this morning? whats up with that? anyhoo enjoy.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:56 AM
Kdill2160

It's about time.......

Well, here it is........ not much more to say except the small "latches" for the body panels I made from actual chrome plated metal plates very, very thin & very, very small. I don't think I did TOO bad for a first time attempt at a micro scale heli. Enjoy.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:58 AM
Kdill2160

Reasons for first flight delay.....

I'm not happy with the angle of the swashplate to servo linkages and I'm switching cyclic servos. THIS Problem has to be corrected. I thought about using spacers to move the two rear servos out a bit from the frame so I'd have the clearance for longer arms. But I am looking into two other servo options. MS Composit Servos as shown on the kit box and Futaba S3110s. I will find a suitable fit and swap em out. At the same time I need to go back and correct the swashplate/anti-rotation pin rubbing problem.

But I will finish the build thread and somehow get a flight on video for everyone with me at the sticks. More to come.....

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 09:59 AM
Kdill2160

Update...............

I'm changing all the servos in my AS350B to Futaba S3107s. Check out the specs on these. and direct bolt in for HS55, EXCEPT depth and output shaft height. This should allow almost perfect alignment of the cyclic servo arms, with better centering than the hiteks. Going to run a S3110 on the tail I think.

Found these today at the LHS and when I compared the S3110s they did not fit and the S3107s did and the specs are great. I was purchasing the S3110s for my new SJM400, but I sold it to get the MAXIR SE and the S3107s are perfect for it too. I'm going to get a set for the ECureuil as well. Should be the perfect servo, stronger and faster and a better fit for this heli.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 10:00 AM
Kdill2160

Update........

New Servos, perfect fit, better specs, better centering, better alignment of linkage, I like it best of all because they're made by the BEST, FUTABA!!!! Here's what I got Futaba S3107s on cyclic, Futaba S3110 on the tail.

Pics to come after mounting. Flight test soon.

Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 10:12 AM
Kdill2160

As promised,

I reinstalled all new Futaba Avionics and tidied up the wiring a bit. Much better alignment I would say. Plus I changed to ball links at the servo side of the linkage as well.

Here's the promised pics.....

I decided to stick with the Micro 2R Deans on all five of my new Pro-lite TP 1320 3S packs. I also finally picked up a TP balancer.