Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2007, 08:40 PM
RJO

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Well I have been at this for three months now, and I am using my falcon strictly for learning forward flight and tail turns at altitude outside. I can hover it in the living room with out any wories. I have crashed this thing many many times, Michael at USHobby can attest to that! But she is still going strong. I am getting my Belt CP to the point where Im finally comfortable with it higher than my head and maybe 40 feet away, couldnt have had that confidence without the FP, and a sim. Im building a Swift 16 right now, and Im more nervous about programming the radio than I am about the build! taking the falcon and the belt apart has really helped in that department. Lipos I use are 7.4 2 cell and they are great in the living room about 8-10 min, but in the atmosphere outside they run down pretty quick, makes sense considering the amount of input comparitivley! Merry XMas all, Keep Flying!
Old 12-16-2007, 12:45 AM
Bearfoot

OK, I'm new at all of this. I have always loved helicopters and remote control anything. I have been reading about the Falcon 40 and I think I would love to get one of these for Christmas. I don't want to invest money on something that will be on the shelf in a month or two because I couldn't get the hang of it. How easy are they to fly? And are the replaceable parts expensive? What is it about this Hobby that keeps you going back to it?
Old 12-16-2007, 07:34 AM
Disney1

Welcome Bearfoot:
This hobby is addicting because it is a challange to learn to fly well. The Falcon 40, or a Walkera4#1 are the same, both are FP (Fixed Pitch) helis, and require patience to learn. Once you master a FP heli you can move up to a CP (collective Pitch) heli. The FP helis are inexpensive to buy and to repair, US Hobbie Supply has the best price on the Wlakera http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...products_id=59. If you want something that is VERY easy to fly then you want a COAX (counter rotating main blades). They are very easy to fly. I have become board with mine rather quickly so I have upgraded to a Falcon 40, (My wife will let me have it Christmas Eve). I am already am looking at a Blade CP or a Belt CP as an upgrade to the Falcon. Also if you buy the FP unit be sure to buy a set of Super-Skids from US Hobbie at the same time and install them on the heli before you fly as they are nearly indestructable.
Old 12-16-2007, 01:18 PM
Bones27

Bearfoot, welcome to the group. I agree with Disney1, the COAX is very easy to fly and you will get tired of it quickly. The FP is a great starter because the parts are in-expensive compared to a CP machine. The FP machine is perfect for learning to fly in all orientations. It's almost certain that you will break parts when you first begin so you have to be ready for that. What keeps me in this hobby is the challenge. Once you master a step there is always another step waiting. It's a hobby that you can keep advancing in for many many years to come, you will not master it in a few months and quit because you are board with it. If you love a challenge, this is the perfect hobby, if you are easily flustrated this isn't a hobby you want to persue.
Old 12-16-2007, 02:33 PM
stump3r

Welcome Bearfoot, Bones and Disney hit on some great points. I started with the Blade CX2 coaxial heli. Great learner, however limited in it's flight capabilities. I got the Walkera #4 from Michael at USHobby Supply and honestly wished I would have started with this machine vs. the coax. Upgrade her with the super-skids and you have one tough heli. She takes alot of abuse can take some pretty hard hits and keep on flying. The biggest thing with this hobby is patience. At times you will have days where you can't fly to save your life then you will have days were you can hover for full bats. Just take your time and remember that it will take some time and practice to really get the hang of them. I love the #4, you can hover it in your living room or take it outside and really push it. Very versatile machine that is relatively inexpensive to keep in the air. With this hobby anything inexpensive isn't a word you hear very often. Personally I think this is a great machine as a first heli.
Old 12-16-2007, 03:20 PM
gpach

Welcome to the group!

I can echo the same sentiments as above. I have crshed mine 40 times if once (more or less minor crashes) The most damage to date is main blades and rotor cores (I eat rotor cores). I think Bones mentioned he has not had to replace one yet. I have my blades very loose (floppy) and I think bones said he has his fairly tight. Perhaps this is something to look at to reduce core consumption.

Regardless, once you get use to the odd very inexpensive repair, this heli is a great learner. Just had mine out in the back yard flying into the sun and was really enjoying it. Tried to land on the picnic table (to avoid the snow), but that didn't work out. Landed her in the snow. Unpugged the bat and everything is good.

The biggest thing for me going from a coax to the F40 was getting use to the fact that it wants to slide across the floor as it gets lite on the skids. My suggestion to those starting is to "hop" the heli into the air a bit (2') to get away from this at first. Eventually you just compensate and dont realize you are doing it.

Have fun, ask lots of questions and good flying
Old 12-16-2007, 03:54 PM
Bearfoot

Thanks for all the information! I really think I'm going to order a Falcon 40 for Christmas. It helps to know I have you guys here to help with any questions that may come up in the future! I think it would be smart to order the training kit to help with future crashes! I know my wife will make me wait until Christmas before I can fly it.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-16-2007, 04:27 PM
gpach

I think that is a wife thing. I know stumps W4 was locked up under the tree but by the sounds of it he has been playing with it. He must be a smooth talker.

I don't think you will be unhappy with your choice. The first bit can be frustrating until you get that first 10 second hover and then you are hooked.

The training wheels help a lot in the beginning. They reduce the tip overs as well they make the heli bottom heavy and more docile in the air.

Old 12-16-2007, 07:09 PM
Dartman1074

I too orderd the Walkera 4#1 and the FMS and I also have to wait for Xmas. I am 33 years old and I am like a big kid when it comes to this stuff. I have 2 boats 2 trucks and now the FP Heli. I have never flown them befor but have always wanted too. Its going to be hard not to just take the heli out and try and fly it, but I want to try and get a little used to things with the FMS. The trucks and boats are very easy and I still love to run them. I have been reading about these things for a while now and i know of a few upgrades that are needed. Are the super skids hard to install. also are the walkera #4 pretty much the same as the 4#1.

Tim
Old 12-16-2007, 07:16 PM
Disney1

Hi all:
For the Newbee's
RADDS SCHOOL OF ROTARY FKIGHT

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Old 12-16-2007, 10:48 PM
stump3r

Tim,

Super-skids are an easy fun little upgrade. Sure makes a huge difference when learning as you won't chew through landing gear. As you will hear alot when learning it's very common the cut the throttle and drop the heli when you get too close to something or the dreaded DUCK! it's coming at your head You will be very impressed with this heli as it's super tough and can take quite a beating and keep on flying. It's easy to work on and setup. Mine officially got locked back up tonight as the wife wrapped up gifts and its sitting under the tree until the big day. Thank the lord I have my little CX2 to fly around until the old #4 comes back out on Christmas morning.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:28 PM
dsharp17

hello guys.i have'nt post in this forum for a while since i crash my falcon and broke the main blade holder and the boom.well after that i have had many crashes and many parts i have bought to.but its been like 5 months since i have my falcon and never lift from the ground.all time was twicking and replacing parts,no major parts that is.last part i broke was the rotor head and againg order the part and replace it.to my surprise 2 days ago for the first time i got my falcon to hover for at least two mins.man you can imagin how happy i was finally.its been 3 days i been hovering but just got a problem after i install the rotor head and charge my batt. the heli wount lift no more than 6 " from the ground.so i charge the batt againg and the heli went up like 4' from the ground but for about 30 seconds then will hover very low.now here is the funny thing i put the lipo of my lama and it fly ok.i put the batt. of the falcon on my lama and it fly ok to with no problems.so any body got any sugestions.thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 03:28 PM
Bearfoot

Hello everyone,
I am going to order a Falcon 40 today. Does anyone know if there are any sights that are offering free shipping or some kind of discount for the F40?
Old 12-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Disney1

Hi Bearfoot:
I purchased my Falcon 40 from Raidentech. (Befor I knew of US Hobby Supply) Use Code CJFreeShipping for free shipping. Here is the link. BUT FIRST remember thet the Walkera4 is the same and can be purchased for $69.99 at US Hobby Supply. And Michael of USHOBBIESUPPLY is on these forums and advises us all with an unbiased oponion of heilos and parts regardless of the brands he sells. [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=biggrin.gif]Michael is like having a local hobby shop guy in your computer room. Also while you are ordering be sure to buy Super Skids From US Hobby it is the best and FIRST upgrade to make to your heilo

Here is the Raidentech link for $84.95 http://www.raidentech.com/reracortfdr4.html

Here is the US Hobby Supply link $69.99 http://www.ushobbysupply.com/product...products_id=59 [sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif][sm=thumbs_up.gif]

Old 12-17-2007, 05:23 PM
maybelater29
My Feedback: (1)

My wife ordered the Walkera 4 from Mike at USHobby and also ordered a bunch of extra parts(2 for 1 on plastics) It should be here tomorrow. I can't wait, I gave her one of her gifts on Saturday so I can play with my heli when it gets here. She got a Losi Desert-T with about $100 in upgrades. I would highly recommend ordering from USHobbysupply.com Mike answered all of my questions and gave me(my wife) a great deal.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:29 PM
Agador Sparticus

Michael,
Thanks for the super fast shipping on my Esky Lipo charger. I am in OH and received it today, 2 days later!I don't know if you always ship orders on Saturday nights but I sure appreciate your awesome service. I did not expect this part until at least Wednesday. Thanks again!
Have a Great Christmas Everyone!
Kevin
Old 12-17-2007, 09:59 PM
Bearfoot

Ok! I went ahead and ordered the Falcon 40! I would have ordered the Walkera4 but I really had my hopes for a F40. Thanks for all the information on ordering ect. I can't wait !!!!!
Old 12-17-2007, 10:05 PM
crimsonrain22

No fear Bearfoot a walkera4 is just a falcon40 with a white canopy and I few different stickers. Everything else is the same. Your gonna love eather one. In my opinion it is the best way to learn to fly helicopters coupled with a sim. I learned to hover with mine without ever breaking a part using Rads school of rotory flight and some common since. Of course now I use it for forward flight, piros spot landing practice and the such and have broken a few blades and blade holders and the stock landing gear. One thing I have noticed is that the stock parts seem to be allot higher quality then the replacements.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:21 PM
Bearfoot

I'm definitely using the Rads school of rotory flight and I hope I have enough common sense to fly without destroying my heli.
Old 12-17-2007, 10:27 PM
Dartman1074

stump3r

Thank You for ur help. I will be ordering the super skids soon. I cant wait till xmas when the heli is able to come out and play.. First I will be using the FMS to try and get some learning in first..

Thanx Again

Tim
Old 12-17-2007, 10:39 PM
Disney1

Ok HELP [sm=drowning.gif] I Guess I am just stupid tonight How do I insert a photo into the post.

Thanks
Old 12-17-2007, 10:56 PM
BreakBlades

Well its official the rotor head cores are poorly made. More junk from overseas. The rotor head cores have large voids in the plastic greatly reducing the strength. So I bought 4 more from USHobbySupply. these should hold me over till I finish my metal rotor head core and guiding ring ( no more problems getting that damn retaining pin in). On another note was doing a great job impressing the folks with my flying of the Falcon and Belt CP. Luckily they didn't see the barrel jump out and tag the tail rotor of my Falcon during fast forward flight. So another order to USHobbySupply :-).

Have a good Christmas and a happy new year everyone. Keep on flying.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:21 AM
crimsonrain22

ORIGINAL: Bearfoot

I'm definitely using the Rads school of rotory flight and I hope I have enough common sense to fly without destroying my heli.
Lol I used to think I had some then I get brave and try stuff like doing 8 or 9 piros in a row in 10 foot wide area. But to did manage to keep what little I have under control while doing rads heehee.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:24 AM
stump3r

Bearfoot, make sure you still order the super-skids for your F40. It's one of those "must have" upgrades. Especially if you move to lipo's to power her. The added length of the bat holder is huge in getting the center of gravity just right. With the super-skids she has a tendency to be tail heavy, thus being able to move the bat as far forward as possible you can get your center just perfect. Michael at USHobby has super great service and will take super good care of you as he has all of us. Pretty sure he still has his 2for1 on plastic parts, order spares your gonna need them

Cheers,
Shane
Old 12-18-2007, 12:54 AM
Bearfoot

Hey Shane,
I did order the super-skids also for my heli. I wasn't taking any chances. I'm sure I will be ordering more parts later!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.