Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2007, 03:15 PM
crimsonrain22

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Falcon 40 (Exceed heli) Forum

Did you remove these 2 alan screws they are usually hard to see
Attached Images  
Old 11-18-2007, 06:22 PM
Durare

I loosened the main rotors and wow what a difference!! So much more controllable...I had an almost 5 min hover!! Cool heli...can't wait to start getting it higher!

Thanks for all the help everyone!!

Durare
Old 11-18-2007, 06:37 PM
Bones27

Durare, way to go on the 5 minute hover! As I said in an earlier post the adjustments on these heli are critical to your flying style. I have better luck with a little tighter blade and others like them looser or somewhere in between. Basic adjustments will get you in the ball park, but everyone's flying style is different and requires just that little something extra to get the heli perfect for you. Sounds like you found your sweet spot. That goes for the other adjustments as well. Keep tweeking until you find your sweet spot for all the adjustments. You have the heli bug now, sorry man this is a viscious bug and it feeds on the wallets of the unsuspecting heli addict.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:43 PM
BreakBlades

Well hello everyone. Figured Id say hi as my first two helis will be here on tuesday. I gotmyself a Falcon 40 and a Eagle 50. The Falcon seems to be a good investment from what I've read on this thread as for the Eagle 50 the verdict isnt in yet. Unfortunatly advertising and low pricing got the best of me on that purchase. Just want to say great thread and I'll be on here more very soon I'm sure.
Old 11-18-2007, 10:49 PM
Bones27

Breaksblades, welcome to the group. Is this your first heli experience? Let us know if there is anything we can help you with.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:26 AM
BreakBlades

Indeed it is my first heli experience! Well other then those walmart havoc helicopters. I do have some RC plane building and flying experience, don't think that will help me here though. Im a graduate student in engineering so I need something to do to have some fun and I've always wanted to try RC helicopters. The electronics technology has come very far from when I first looked at these when I was doing RC airplanes.

As far as help I'm sure I'll need some repair help very soon. Tomorrow the helicopters arrive and I won't be able to stop myself from spooling both up. The 6 channel I will probably keep on the ground but the falcon I bought to learn on.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:12 AM
crimsonrain22

Well the falcon will come with a free sim cable, So download FMS a free rc simulator and get some practice in. Its not the best sim but the price is right, It will help you get a feel before you spool them up and save you some broken parts.
Old 11-19-2007, 10:31 AM
BreakBlades

Crimson, Thanks for the tip when I bought the helicopters I also got a simulator and sim controller with it. Not sure if it is a good sim or not. I know the value of sims as I used one when practicing my RC airplane flight. Keep the tips coming.
Old 11-19-2007, 11:00 AM
Bones27

Breakblades, another tip , checkout page 95 post 2352, this post has a link for the Electric Helicopter Beginner's Guide. I found this to be a valuable resource and it free.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:26 PM
BreakBlades

Thanks I picked it up yesterday off your post and have been going through it.

Thanks again
Old 11-19-2007, 01:18 PM
jeremyswade

Hey everyone i've got a question. I've had my Falcon 40 for quite some time now and still really enjoying flying heli. Only one problem now. Now that im a better pilot Im ready for longer flight times and Im not really sure on what Lipo upgrade to go with that I won't have to do a lot of sautering or work on the heli to get the lipo to work. Basically I want a lipo that i can just swap out that will plug straight in to the stock reciever that came with the falcon 40. Any advice will be greatly appricated.

Thanks,
Old 11-19-2007, 01:55 PM
crimsonrain22

Breakblades one more for ya and one of the best ways to learn an keep it in one piece I have found, Its called Radds School of rotory flight and has helped alot of people on this forum learn to hover without breaking a thing. Its a set by step and one of the best teaching tools I have found.

http://www.dream-models.com/eco/flying-index.html
Old 11-19-2007, 01:58 PM
crimsonrain22

I fly this one a little light so I had to move it way foward for proper CG but flight times are atleast 25% better and way more power, hovers at 1/4 stick now. You will need to get a different charger for a lipo though.

http://www.raidentech.com/hiqu3emoli12.html
Old 11-19-2007, 02:20 PM
USHobbySupply

ORIGINAL: jeremyswade

Hey everyone i've got a question. I've had my Falcon 40 for quite some time now and still really enjoying flying heli. Only one problem now. Now that im a better pilot Im ready for longer flight times and Im not really sure on what Lipo upgrade to go with that I won't have to do a lot of sautering or work on the heli to get the lipo to work. Basically I want a lipo that i can just swap out that will plug straight in to the stock reciever that came with the falcon 40. Any advice will be greatly appricated.

Thanks,
SuperPacks by Super-Skids. Great battery, great deal. Comes with free Falcon40 blade set (or any other plastic part that one might need).

http://www.ushobbysupply.com/index.php?cPath=25

the 3 at the bottom of the page. Plugs directly into stock rx.

Michael
Old 11-19-2007, 02:41 PM
gpach

ORIGINAL: USHobbySupply

Jeremy/Michael - Re lippos

I have two of the 7.4, 1300 mah superpacks. I installed them on my falcon (everything relatively new, less than 5 batteries previous use). I got a total of 6 mins of flight time. Not much better than my 800 mah packs from my cx2 would get out of the falcon.

I then went to a 730 mah, 11.1 volt pack and got 15 mins + flight time. I think there is a problem going with the lower voltage lippos. I didn't have a real good charger that shows battery life when I did the testing on the 7.4 lippos but have one now. I will set the heli back up for 7.4 volts and run a battery through and see how much I can pull out of it and still fly. (after I replace the servos)

I think the problem is head speed with the lower voltage batts. The 11.1 v/ 15 mins of flight time was with a 8 tooth main pinion. The stock heli comes with a 10 tooth main. I would like to get a 12 tooth pinion and try the 7.4 lippos out with it.

ORIGINAL: jeremyswade

Thanks,
SuperPacks by Super-Skids. Great battery, great deal. Comes with free Falcon40 blade set (or any other plastic part that one might need).

http://www.ushobbysupply.com/index.php?cPath=25

the 3 at the bottom of the page. Plugs directly into stock rx.

Michael
Old 11-19-2007, 02:51 PM
gpach

Servo dead at <30 flights.

I was flying my f40 on the weekend and it started acting strange (tail motor would take off and piro). Eventually found the aileron servo was was jammed/jaming. I could force it back to where it should go, then it would stick again on the next stroke.

Picked up two new ones today (hitec HS 65's).

I had noticed that before in flight the heli would be hovering relatively stable then suddenly head off left or right. I thought it was due to the "plastic" construction and slop but maybe the servo has been causing a problem? Will post after replacing the servos tonight if the heli is a lot more stable.

Has anyone found a problem or such short life with the original servos? Potentially the problem is mine as I have to admit the little thing takes a lot of abuse as I endevour to learn how to fly it.

Regards
Old 11-19-2007, 03:03 PM
jrobinson105

I had the same problem, but with the other servo. I replaced them both with the HS-55's and it seems more responsive - until I took a hard landing and broke the super flimsy landing gear. I had probably about 10 flights on mine before the servo died. I don't know whether one of my crashes did it, or if it just crapped out on it's own. When I took the bad servo out, it was leaking something that felt like a lubricant ( not a huge amount, but there was a noticable slickness to the servo and the little sticker fell off in my hand)

That being said, I am saving up money for my next round of upgrades (Super Skids and a lipo). Has anybody tried the Super Boom? I've also got a cracked boom that will eventually break, so it will need to be replaced soon.

Old 11-19-2007, 03:24 PM
gpach

ORIGINAL: jrobinson105

I had the same problem, but with the other servo. I replaced them both with the HS-55's and it seems more responsive - until I took a hard landing and broke the super flimsy landing gear. I had probably about 10 flights on mine before the servo died. I don't know whether one of my crashes did it, or if it just crapped out on it's own. When I took the bad servo out, it was leaking something that felt like a lubricant ( not a huge amount, but there was a noticable slickness to the servo and the little sticker fell off in my hand)

That being said, I am saving up money for my next round of upgrades (Super Skids and a lipo). Has anybody tried the Super Boom? I've also got a cracked boom that will eventually break, so it will need to be replaced soon.

Thanks JR

I had the same slickness and sticker problem as you described. Not sure whats up with that. I know if you let the magic smoke out things stop working, maybe there is a magic oil in there as well

I replaced the landing gear with superskids when I did the lippo conversion. The superskids come with a tail support and a vertical fin. took the vertical fin off last week (weight issue) and took the rear tail support and horizontal fin off friday (more weight reduction). The super skids are indestructable but are heavy.

I think I would just go to the LHS and pick up a stick of carbon for the tail boom. I suspect that without the tail boom support on I will eventually break the boom as some of my "landings" are rather hard when I am flying outside.

I had to use a piece of carbon from my Training Wheels to replace the flybar rod that was "defective" after a recent landing.

regards
Old 11-19-2007, 04:52 PM
upSLIDEdown

ORIGINAL: robotronski

It seems there is a increasing interest in the Falcon 40 model marketed by Exceed.

Some say its a re-badged Walkera DF4. I'm tending to agree its a Walkera but it does appear to be a newer release of the DF4. Rotor head reinforcement is fiberglass for example.

Perhaps the electronics are improved. The gyro on my Falcon 40 is way better than that on my older Walkera 22E (collective pitch machine).

I've had no problems with the servos or the dreaded motor controller issues everyone talks about.

So do we need a dedicated forum? Not sure, but there may be some newbie out there that won't look to the DF4 forum for answers since thats not the "Same" heli he has.

Just an idea here...
This is the first post in the thread. There were a few of this nature. That's where I got the "electronics are supposedly better in the Falcon 40" from. Just curious. Any thoughts on starting with a co-ax for my dad and flying that a bit, then getting myself a Falcon 40. Then later if I get hooked I can upgrade to something 3d that is more upgraadeable, such as a 450sa or something. Just trying to get input basically... Thanks!
Old 11-19-2007, 05:05 PM
gpach

Upslide

I originally ordered a F40 from the on line retailers. I waited a week and it didn't come in and on a long weekend went to a LHS and picked up a CX2 co-ax. Had 2 weeks with the co-ax before the falcon came in. For me I am glad I had the co-ax as at first it seemed a challenge to fly. I had basic hovering down with it when the F40 came in. It was a rude awakening when I tried to fly the f40 first time. But eventually, given enough tries, eventually i have the ability to hover this heli as well.

If you can use your Dads for a bit first I think thats a great deal

Regards

BTW - put in a stock of blades and other misc parts (contact michael at ushobby for a list of what you need). There is nothing worse than having to wait for parts and it is a given that you will be breaking a few through the learning process.

Regards
Old 11-19-2007, 05:18 PM
upSLIDEdown

ORIGINAL: gpach

Regards
Yeah, that's kinda what I thought. I think I'm gonna get Dad a Co-co Lama 3 for Christmas. I was originially gonna buy the 2-pack of Air Hogs Havoc Heli's (Battle pack), but now I'm thinking about getting him something a little nicer. They're the same price, I will just end up with 1 bird instead of 2. LOL I think he (we) would be happier in the long run with something like the Co-co instead of the Havocs... Maybe I'll buy my step-bro a single Havoc, and then we'll have them all... LOL
Old 11-19-2007, 05:32 PM
gpach

Not sure what version of the CoCo you are looking at. A cooworker bought a coco from overseas and it was trashed in an afternoon. He then got the CX2 and is still flying. His had an open cross hatch tail and the plastic was very thin and brittle.

I banged my CX2 against immovable objects etc many times and it came back to life with minor (plastic only) repairs. Mostly blades and landing gear.

At times I think the co-ax give you a false sense of achievment as they are very easy to fly but at least you get over a bit of orientation issues and how to be smooth on the sticks. I think you will be very happy with the F40, especially that first time you hold it in a hover with some "control" for a min or so.

don't forget the training wheels.

regards
Old 11-19-2007, 05:43 PM
upSLIDEdown

Not sure what version of the CoCo you are looking at. A cooworker bought a coco from overseas and it was trashed in an afternoon. He then got the CX2 and is still flying. His had an open cross hatch tail and the plastic was very thin and brittle.
Def gettin' the training gear with the F40. That's the Co-co I was gonna get I think. It's this one. I was just looking for something inexpensive (in the same price range as the Havoc Battle set - $69) to get him that he could easily fly. This is the one..

[link]http://www.raidentech.com/ese0lav3coco.html[/link]

Maybe I should rethink that???? I dunno what to do. Maybe I should stick with the Havoc's... LOL. The F40 will be for me in a month or so when I have a little extra cash to spend on it.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:03 PM
gpach

Upslide

thats exactly the one he ordered, his came in from asia not from US.

There is another versions CoCo V4

See this link - http://www.raidentech.com/bles4colav4r.html

this one looks almost like the Blade CX/CX2 (link to blade CX http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLH1250 )

I know its a pain trying to figure out whats worth what etc. I see the CoCo 4 is only $88 for raiden. Not sure what is diffferent from the CX2 other than possibly the radio. The CX2 has a very watered down spektrum transmitter and reciever (2.4 ghz) where I think the coco has a standard 72 mhz radio system. The CX2 has a 3-1 and separate reciever where I suspect the CoCo 4 has an all in one (4-1) system.

Another posibility for the large price difference is I read a forum here that E-flite maintains price control (price-fixing).

ORIGINAL: upSLIDEdown

Def gettin' the training gear with the F40. That's the Co-co I was gonna get I think. It's this one. I was just looking for something inexpensive (in the same price range as the Havoc Battle set - $69) to get him that he could easily fly. This is the one..

[link]http://www.raidentech.com/ese0lav3coco.html[/link]

Maybe I should rethink that???? I dunno what to do. Maybe I should stick with the Havoc's... LOL. The F40 will be for me in a month or so when I have a little extra cash to spend on it.
Old 11-19-2007, 06:12 PM
upSLIDEdown

Upslide

thats exactly the one he ordered, his came in from asia not from US.

There is another versions CoCo V4
Yeah, I thought about the V4, since it looks like the CX2 and is probably a bit more durable. I can't afford the spend the money on the CX2 right now. Things are really tight this year, as we've been pretty slow here at work lately. Speaking of which, it's time for me to go home. Guess I'll do some more looking... Should be back on tomorrow sometime.. until then...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.