Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Century Hummingbird

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Century Hummingbird

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2003, 02:49 AM
moos4bkfst
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Li-Poly PACKS!!!

I bought them from www.nwhobbies.com, I dont think there on the sight yet, but you can call them, they have some in stock, either go for the 880mah or the 1020 mah. They will build them for you free of charger,they work far better than nimh and alot lighter........ Ill try to post a link with the batteries.
Old 03-03-2003, 03:36 AM
imeins

Default Century Hummingbird

Steve: I am getting about 9-10 minutes on my 600mA/H packs as shipped with the Feda/HummingBird. All stock standard. I was playing in the wind this morning and almost dumped the Feda on it's side on the asphalt road. Blades hit the deck. Went over had a look and kept flying. Last night I hit a bookshelf (and almost cleaned up the wifes $x,000 crystal collection!) again it just went plop on the floor and I moved it to a clear spot and kept flying. Pretty tough..

Ingmar
Old 03-03-2003, 11:24 AM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

Ingmar - the heli may be tough, but if you break your wife's crystal you better be tougher. I am grounded from flying in any room but my home office and work shop unless I want to spend all my money on a solicitor instead of e-helis.

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major - USAF
Retired

A night mission in the entertainment center room.............
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	59894_13494.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	36022  
Old 03-03-2003, 03:52 PM
deus1978
My Feedback: (3)

Moos,

What type of charger are you using for your Poly packs and how long does it take to charge? I'm new at Poly technology, I use aTekin digital charger for my NiMH... I doubt it will be able to charge the newer stuff.

Thanks,
Randal
Old 03-04-2003, 02:05 AM
imeins

Boyd: the wife did mutter something under her breath, I think it was an ancient Finnish curse or something. I don't intend to repeat that performance in a hurry, at least not with her in the same room.

Ingmar
Old 03-04-2003, 03:09 AM
skylark_man

what should i do if my training gear is shakeing on my skylark when i get off the ground. does anyone know what to do and its made out of wooden dowels please help.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:50 AM
imeins

You could try the balancing I did.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=96539

Ingmar
Old 03-06-2003, 04:01 PM
BriMan

Default NEEDED: Tips to set up the CSM HLG 200 HH gyro

Hoverup...

Could you provide some details around the proper setup on the CSM HLG 200 HH gyro?

I utilized your configuration and ordered similar parts for my Hummingbird. Looking to utilize your applied knoledge for this setup.

THANKS...

Brian
Old 03-06-2003, 07:00 PM
Hoverup

Component layout on my HummingBird.

Name:	60841_13494.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	36023  
Old 03-06-2003, 07:02 PM
Hoverup

Another pic without the callout labels.

Name:	60842_13494.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	36024  
Old 03-06-2003, 07:48 PM
Hoverup

Go here for hookup: http://www.pgoelz.com/piccolo_wiring_01.html

Where the diagram shows a BL motor controller just substitute the GWS main motor controller.

Cheers - Boyd
Old 03-07-2003, 02:05 AM
skylark_man

does anyone know what is wrong when i balanced my skylark and it still wobles when its in the air and how do i balance the main blades when they are free to twist, how would do it?

and if the battery wasnt super solidly atached to the helicopter would it wobble because of that?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2003, 02:21 AM
imeins

Have a look at my balancing photos. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=96539

It's possible that if the battery is really loose then it could start shaking , making the wobble worse etc etc..

Ingmar
Old 03-07-2003, 09:06 PM
BriMan

Default HUMMINGBIRD ORDERED

Just wanted to give a big thanks to you all. I was able to aquire an abundance of information on these forums and finally placed my order.

FYI: These Helis are in high demand and are a bit hard to find!!!

Jeremy over at NorthWest Hobbies ( www.nwhobbies.com) still had a kit and a combo in stock. Jeremy is a pleasure to work with and provided an excellent deal to get me started!!! You would be making a wise choice giving him a call if you are in the market for a heli.

NEXTUP:

Assembly and 1st flight!! I can't wait...

Thanks Again...

Brian
Old 03-08-2003, 03:51 PM
trey3670
My Feedback: (10)

hey guys thanks for posting all of the helpfull info here! think im gonna get one!
Old 03-13-2003, 12:47 AM
thermal7

Default Just got my RTF FEDA from Hong Kong

Arrived in 8 days. Box was wrapped very well and everything was in the box. Came with Zhen Hua PCM-4 Ch 72 MHZ Ch46 radio and yes the power is on the right stick so I will have to fly it that way or try changing *** to the left stick. I hooked everything up and there was very little vibration on powering it up right out of the box. I have not tried flying it yet. I have about 6 months on my G2 simulator. The FEDA appears to be built well and the price was right. Will follow up with how this flies. By the way, a VCD was included with my order showing about an hours worth of flying inside and outside. Heli seems to be very stable in the video.
Old 03-17-2003, 07:36 PM
JPBIII

Default Hoverup

How much did it cost to outfit your heli? Was it cheaper than getting the combo ? Is it better quality parts? Also, do you need the mixer that comes in the combo if you have a computer radio?
Thanks
John
Old 03-17-2003, 07:53 PM
thermal7

Default John regarding the installed FEDA equipment

John,
The installed equipment is all you need. You just have to buy 8 AA Nicads or NIMH cells for the transmitter that comes with it. Everything is on single board gyro, mixer speed controller for main/tail rotors, speed control and receiver on 72MHZ. If you want to use your own equipment, you need to get the one that only comes with the mixer control for the motors less the gyro, receiver etc. The one from Hong Kong FEDA RTF Heli comes already with equipment and ready to fly out of the box. I was at RC Country Hobbies in Sacramento over the weekend. They are stocking the Century Hummingbird which is the same as the FEDA except theirs comes less the equipment so you would buy those items separately. They are selling the hummingbirds for 79 bucks and they stock all the spare parts too. So you might want to go that way if you don't want the RTF version from Hong Kong. Everything on RTF version seems to be working for me. I cannot fly in house due to not enough room. I did hover briefly outside yesterday, but there was some very light breezes that were giving me a problem, so I quit before screwing anything up. The hummingbirds are built very well out of good quality material. I am happy with mine. I just want the right conditions so I can fly the darn thing. Getting impatient, but still have my G2 simulator to practice. Hope the information is helpful.
Ralph
Old 03-17-2003, 09:52 PM
JPBIII

Ralph,
Thanks for the info. Where can you get a Feda?
Old 03-17-2003, 11:01 PM
thermal7

Default Where to get the RTF FEDA Mini Heli

You can email [email protected] and tell him what you want. Mention my name Ralph Gustafson thermal7 as he and I have been emailing back and forth. He will give you a good deal. Be sure to specify 72 Mhz radio if you are getting the RTF model and that you would like the power up on left stick. If he cannot do it for you there, I can tell you how to do it yourself. Its easy to move the ratchet power up from the right to left stick. Took me less than an hour and it works great. The postage from Hong Kong is 35 bucks and it came exactly 8 days after I paid with PAYPAL on ebay.
Good Luck and email me anytime.
Ralph
Old 03-18-2003, 07:44 PM
BradM

I should probably know this, but why can't the speed control just be plugged into a different channel on the receiver to get the power on the left stick?

I've got the itch for indoor flying, but I really don't care to relearn the sticks or do a conversion.

Thanks for your reply.

Brad
Old 03-18-2003, 08:29 PM
cebrey

You do that too. The problem is the ratchet is on the wrong stick. Doing one or the other will leave you with something that's not quite mode 1 or 2.

HTH,

Carl
Old 03-24-2003, 07:58 AM
rotortiller

Originally posted by Hoverup
Go here for hookup: http://www.pgoelz.com/piccolo_wiring_01.html

Where the diagram shows a BL motor controller just substitute the GWS main motor controller.

Cheers - Boyd

Hoverup, I am new to this group and new to electric RC heli's. I have done fixed wing for 25 years and some Heli but always nitro not electric.

Could you help me out and be more specific on the wiring you used?

Does the CSM HLG 200 HH plug to the GWS 50 FP T/R ESC using all 3 wires or just the one yellow wire in the original diagram?

It seemed like it needed all 3 to get the receiver (GWS R4P Sub Mini Four Channel Receiver) it's power thru the rotor/battery port. Which way is correct and why?

The original diagram's text at ( http://www.pgoelz.com/piccolo_brushless.html see wireing ) said something about BEC but I could not see how the receiver it got its power, was it through the main ESC (GWS 100 FP main motor ESC, in this case)?

Is that how you did it?

If I chose to use a GWS R6 Naro Sub Mini 6 Channel Receiver in plane of the GWS R4 Pico Sub Mini 4 Channel Receiver would it change the wiring, as in how do you get power to the 6th port which is a servo 6/bat combo like the R4P's 4th port is?

In either case how does the battery plug to both the tail and main ESC?

Did you add a connector to the battery or the Main ESC, splice it or use some sort of Y connector?

If you used a Y connector were did you get it, of did you make it?

I tried to modify the diagram referenced above. Could you look at it and tell me where it is wrong and why it is going to short out or something before I waste plug it in and waste it all?

I am thinking of buying all this stuff but want to make sure what I an doing first.

BTW - What do you use as a charger to to charge the 2S 1020mah Kokam Lipoly pack ?

Thanks a bunch.

rotortiller - I have tilled the ground a few times with my other heli's mail rotors!

Name:	65269_31516.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	36025  
Old 03-24-2003, 10:58 AM
Hoverup

Originally posted by rotortiller
Hoverup, I am new to this group and new to electric RC heli's. I have done fixed wing for 25 years and some Heli but always nitro not electric.

Could you help me out and be more specific on the wiring you used?

Does the CSM HLG 200 HH plug to the GWS 50 FP T/R ESC using all 3 wires or just the one yellow wire in the original diagram?

It seemed like it needed all 3 to get the receiver (GWS R4P Sub Mini Four Channel Receiver) it's power thru the rotor/battery port. Which way is correct and why?
Only the signal wire is used on my set-up. Theory is available on Paul's site.

The original diagram's text at ( http://www.pgoelz.com/piccolo_brushless.html see wireing ) said something about BEC but I could not see how the receiver it got its power, was it through the main ESC (GWS 100 FP main motor ESC, in this case)? It is through the main ESC as you have stated here.

Is that how you did it? Yes

If I chose to use a GWS R6 Naro Sub Mini 6 Channel Receiver in plane of the GWS R4 Pico Sub Mini 4 Channel Receiver would it change the wiring, as in how do you get power to the 6th port which is a servo 6/bat combo like the R4P's 4th port is? No change in hook-up only four connections are required.

In either case how does the battery plug to both the tail and main ESC?

Did you add a connector to the battery or the Main ESC, splice it or use some sort of Y connector?
Power-in connection is supplied at the point where the tail and main ESC power-in leads are joined into a common connection (+ and -).

If you used a Y connector were did you get it, of did you make it?

I tried to modify the diagram referenced above. Could you look at it and tell me where it is wrong and why it is going to short out or something before I waste plug it in and waste it all?

I am thinking of buying all this stuff but want to make sure what I an doing first.

BTW - What do you use as a charger to to charge the 2S 1020mah Kokam Lipoly pack ?
I have both the Kokam charger from FMA Direct and the WES-Tek unit from David Lewis at Homefly.com Either will work quite nicely. BTW I am now using the new E-tech 1200mah cells with even better results than the Kokams.

Thanks a bunch.

rotortiller - I have tilled the ground a few times with my other heli's mail rotors!
Ah yes unintentional inverted flight can be agricultural
Since my post, Sean at Helihobby has posted a really good "how to" article on using separates...http://www.helihobby.com/html/separate_electronics.html

Hope this helps
Old 03-25-2003, 06:17 AM
rotortiller

Default separates setup

Hoverup,

The information on http://www.helihobby.com/html/separate_electronics.html
is very helpful but I guess your setup is somewhat a mix of the two examples?

The first example's schematic (under image 8 shows a Mixer on channels 3 and 4) that the main ESC and tail Gyro plugs into. The text does not talk about it. Is this really just the REVO being illistrated and is it really in the radio TX?

I would guess that wiring for "Hoverups setup" to be more like the brushless example (schematic under image 12) but with the brushed components of example #1 (with the exception of the CSM HLG 200 HH gyro )!

So do you wire the HLG 200 HH gyro by using just the one wire to the tail rotor ESC for control?

And I assume that since it has Heading Hold you do not use REVO mixing?

It seems like the more I read the less I know....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.