Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Tailrotor Direction of Rotation

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Tailrotor Direction of Rotation

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 11:49 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tailrotor Direction of Rotation

Any of you guys ever reverse the blades and direction of rotation on these things?
Old 10-31-2007, 12:10 PM
VinceHerman

Default RE: Tailrotor Direction of Rotation

If the tail blades are traveling down through the downwash of the main blades, you lose authority. You want then traveling up through the downwash to get maximum tail authority.
Vince
Old 10-31-2007, 12:55 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I'm not going to doubt that but if so , than half the helcopters in the real world have problems. I don't not see how authurity can be lost at all. Has anybody tried it on these at all? its main function is to counteract the torque effect between the head and the fuselage.

The only function I can see is that the tail also has its on torque effect. If it were rotating clock wise in the same directioon of the blades, would allow the heli to nose over easier than if the blades were reverse as they are now.
Old 10-31-2007, 02:55 PM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I think you will find in models it doesn't matter very much. On the "Hueys" on the later models flipped the tail rotor so the advancing blade was moving into the the rotor wash for better tail rotor authority, most (but not all) full scale helis follow that design idea. The main reason being is they can't just speed up or lengthen the tail rotor or the tips will go super sonic causing all sorts of problems, we dont have that issue.
Old 10-31-2007, 10:27 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I was just curious if anybody who is really good at flying the rc's flipped things around to see how it performs.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:47 AM
FMB42

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IIRC, there have been a number of posts in the Esky (King 2) forum on this topic. I think some some guys said they lost authority, some said it made no difference, and others thought that they gained authority. Maybe the torque effect helps keep the nose from climbing upwards during forward flight with a counter-clockwise tail rotor rotation (as Cyclic Hardover mentions).
Old 11-04-2007, 07:30 AM
BarracudaHockey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 352 Likes on 282 Posts

I've done it on purpose, and I've seen people flying them because they built it that way by accident. Really as I said, it makes very little difference to the average pilot on the average machine. Any really good pilot is going to be spending an equal amount of time inverted and backwards where it would make no difference at all. The only time you really get the benefit is forward flight when the downwash is being blown backwards over the tr.
Old 11-04-2007, 09:36 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Maybe I'm still dumb but the main rotor blades are ahead of the tail rotor blades on my helis, so how do they get main blade wash over them?
Old 11-04-2007, 10:18 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Well I had to do some digging but i found it. For the life of me I just couldn't remember why. The design of rotating the tailrotor blade in a reverse direction has really nothing to do with going into the rotorwash. I don't really buy that anyways.

This "system is called a "tractor" system as its designed to pull the tailboom instead of pushing it as if it were rotating the other way. So as I said earlier and this is only interpreting it is that it is to stabilize the torque effect on the boom. So I could see how it could give you better control of the aircraft but i doubt beginners could tell the difference.

Makes sense to me.