Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

Skylark on Ebay

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

Skylark on Ebay

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2003, 07:27 PM
Stormovic
My Feedback: (29)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Skylark on Ebay

Is this thing worth the $250 or so as sold on Ebay?
Old 04-11-2003, 09:07 PM
Hoverup
My Feedback: (11)

Default Skylark on Ebay

NO !! Look at a Century HummingBird or a Piccolo Fun.

Let the BBQ commence

Cheers - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Old 04-11-2003, 11:04 PM
stoneyt22

Default Skylark on Ebay

yes it is worth the money mine has not had a problem yet it also flies great
Old 04-11-2003, 11:10 PM
rchobby.co.uk

Default Skylark on Ebay

Im the authorised uk dealer for theese - Just beware of ebay sellers we have had loads of emails from people who have bought em and they either dont turn up or dont work properly

Check out www.rc-skylark.com it our site and there is loads of info
Old 04-11-2003, 11:36 PM
Stormovic
My Feedback: (29)

Default Skylark

Checked out the site. Sorry I dont know how to convert British into American$. How much for one of these shipped to USA? What is the usual shipping time?
Old 04-11-2003, 11:49 PM
rchobby.co.uk

Default Skylark on Ebay

For a skylark from me to the US inc shipping will be $329 we dont have to pay UK duty on exports so it works out better

I can add a $ button if people want it - Tell me what i can do
Old 04-11-2003, 11:55 PM
Hoverup

Default Skylark on Ebay

http://www.centuryheli.com/products/...bird/index.htm

Old 04-11-2003, 11:59 PM
rchobby.co.uk

Default Skylark on Ebay

Just want to say the humming bird / feda is not the the same as the skylark / picolo
We sell both some of the parts on the feda are interchangeable with the hummingbird and some of the parts on the picollo are interchangable with the skylark

Dont ask me what as i havnt tried
Old 04-12-2003, 12:00 AM
rotortiller

Default Frequencies

I thought that the frequencies for USA were different that in the UK?

Make sue you get a radio you can use aqnd a charge that works on USA voltage.
Old 04-12-2003, 12:10 AM
rchobby.co.uk

Default Skylark on Ebay

They are we do 35mhz for the uk and 40mhz for usa and also 79mhz
Some of the chineese ones that people have bought from ebay have been 72mhz this is so illegal in the UK you can be Jailed

Oops her comes the Iraqi Information minister
"Rchelicopters are easy to fly i belice a 4 year old child could do it whilst eat--
-
-
-
-
-
-
running away footsteps
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
Old 04-12-2003, 12:55 AM
Hoverup

Default Skylark on Ebay

Originally posted by rchobby.co.uk
They are we do 35mhz for the uk and 40mhz for usa Wrong Richard....40Mhz is illegal for RC models in the USA and also 79mhz Wrong again Richard. 72 Mhz is the correct frequency for RC flying models in the States unless you possess a HAM radio license and then you can operate on 50Mhz.
Some of the chineese
Asian ones that people have bought from ebay have been 72mhz Strike three Richard. 72Mhz is the right frequency for the gent who began this thread this is so illegal in the UK you can be Jailed

Oops her comes the Iraqi Information minister
He may know more about the frequency spectrum then some wannabe vendors
"Rchelicopters are easy to fly i belice a 4 year old child could do it whilst eat--
-
-
-
-
-
-
running away footsteps
-
-
-
-
-
-
-
BTW Richard - you haven't addressed the transmitter mode that normally come with the Hong Kong Helis. Tell us which stick the throttle is on for USA use. Sorry, it's not the right stick as is the popular mode in the UK and EuroWorld..........it's the left. Also since your SmartTech SkyLark comes from the Pacific rim, are you supplying a disinfectant kit for the prepackaged "SARS" germs that hitchhike in at no extra charge?? Glad you are on the coalition team, but I hope you are not actively paticipating in the logistics.

All above, tounge in cheek

Cheerio mates - Boyd
AMA 80393
Major USAF
Retired
Old 04-12-2003, 08:28 AM
rchobby.co.uk

Default Skylark on Ebay

Im sorry i got this the wrong way round - It was 3am when I was typing the original message

We have the Skylark in 35mhz, 40mhz and 72mhz
All the throttle sticks on the gws tranny's we have are RH throttle

And yes I stand corrected on freq
I have watched the ebay' sales and I agree there are some very good ebayers out there. Im expressing my concerns from the last 4 weeks where i have some 60+ emails that have described some problem with a ebay purchase from - as you corrected me Aisa. I have seen 2 sellers get to 10 feedback in the UK and then their accounts frozen

As for wanabee vendor, We have had a succesfull UK model shop for 22 years, although we are new to the web and online selling.

I only posted re ebay sellers to hopefully warn people to be more careful, Out of all the attempted credit card fraud instances we have experienced most have been attempted orders to ship to China, Singapore, and the Phillapines.

Richard
Old 04-12-2003, 01:29 PM
stoneyt22

Default Skylark on Ebay

I got my skylark on ebay for $219 and it arived fine and works fine
Old 04-12-2003, 02:06 PM
rchobby.co.uk

Default Skylark on Ebay

$219 thats amazing - nice one
Old 04-13-2003, 05:49 AM
rotortiller

Default Ebay

I paid $280 on Ebay for a FEDA mini-dragonfly.

The last one he had in the US, out of Chicago.

I have had it over a week and have worked on it every day but have yet to get it to fly for more than 1 minute before it loses radio signal and I have to grab it or rescue my deck table from being hit by the rotor blades.

The dealer said he would get me the part (rotor head, at the time) but he could not understand the part number or what the part was, even though I gave him both the FEDA part and the Humming bird part number. Finally another local dealer replaced it for me.

It seemed like the servos, then the Gyro then the RX plug connections and last the crystal was very lose but even all the checking it still has some intermitant loss of signal which is permanent when it happens. At least until you unplug the battery or mess with the electronics in the black box.

I have now purchased a new rotor head (the original was bent from the manufacturer and had a bad bearing), new servos, new RX, new Crystal, new radio. If that does not fix it I will have to get new ESC's / mixer and gyro. I have respliced the gyro, and a RX plug and one other wire as they had bad connections.

I should have bought the $79 version and bought separates.
These FEDA parts are too glitchy and fragle wire and plugs. At least something is glichy and I have not been able to pin it down. Each time it seems to be focused on a wire or a plug or a lose crystal and I fix it and then test it and it fails again. I think one of the circuit boards is bad or something.

Just keep throwing good money after bad trying to get it to fly at least once.
Old 04-15-2003, 12:26 AM
rchobby.co.uk

Default Skylark on Ebay

Just a quick note that the feda will be shipping with a new board and also we have had allot of problems with the standard battery - it just doesnt seem to be very good quality, Were shipping with a overlander/kan battery

It could be worth checking
Old 04-15-2003, 12:27 AM
rchobby.co.uk

Default Skylark on Ebay

Skylarks seem a pig for drifting if the head isnt balanced and setup
Old 06-13-2003, 09:13 PM
asquires

Default Skylark on Ebay

Yes, excellent deal I just bought SkyLark, with mini-cam combo, $320.00 including shipping, having fun, just learning to fly and setting things up.

Anthony
Old 06-14-2003, 12:45 AM
hughes

Default Skylark on Ebay

Skylark Kit is cheaper if you can order from China.... I have ordered one two days ago for only HKD1300=USD167(Include delivery fee to HK)

I think it would be a bit higher on delivery fee if shipped to other non-asia country...

BTW, it is 40mhz.

Hope above info is useful for you guys...
Old 06-16-2003, 03:12 AM
asquires

Default my skylark is 72mhz

my Skylark from ebay is 72mhz, at least that's what the transmitter says on it.

Anthony
Old 07-05-2003, 05:04 PM
asquires

Default Skylark on Ebay

hughes

Is there a website where you ordered, or how did you find that price, could you post info, so I can also get at that price.

Thanks
Anthony
Old 07-05-2003, 08:02 PM
Gazoo

Default Skylark on Ebay

I have seen these on e-bay. Just make sure that you get a Mode2 transmitter running on 72mhz. Any other frequency is illegal for aircraft use in the US.

You can get just the camera for less than 50 on e-bay if you search around for it. I have one and the picture quality is not that great. So I would focus on finding a heli first, camera later.

You can get a complete HB kit from Century for 315, and they are located in Calif. This would include a 72mhz transmitter on Mode 2.

The difference between Mode 1 and 2 is that the controls are reversed. So the throttle on a mode 2 is on the left where ii is supposed to be for heli flying.

You can go to Ebay and once you get the RC electrics, do a search for Mode2. You should be able to find a guy in New York that is selling the Skylark. Don't buy one just because it includes a minicam!
Old 07-18-2003, 11:16 AM
Wireless

Default Skylark on Ebay

I bought my Aero Hawk from eBay and I specifically requested 35MHz, Mode 2 and 220v chargers. The heli arrived from Hong Kong in 3 days flat. Total cost shipped to my door was under £150. Excellent service from eBay seller ChowChow76 - highly recommended. A colleague bought his heli (FEDA Dragonfly) from Chow also as well as spare parts. no problems.

Spent loads of new motors and stuff to try make them reliable. To be honest if I was to do it again, I'd avoid the knock off FEDAs and Smartechs and go straight to a Century Hummingbird or a Piccolo. The Chinese models are straight ripoffs with some parts changed to make them cheaper to manufacture. All the tolerances are nowhere near as good as the geniune items.

You WILL spend the difference between a cheapie Chinese heli and a genuine Century or Ikarus on upgrading the parts to make them reliable. I must have spent £100 + on new parts and upgrades and it still doesn't fly too well. Next step is separates at £90+. Might as well have got a Piccolo 2in1 or even a Piccolo Pro.

W
Old 07-18-2003, 01:12 PM
asquires

Default Skylark on Ebay

I totatally disagree with you, I purchased a Smartech SkyLark and could not be happier. I have bashed it around and it handles. I am now a distributor of spare parts for Aerohawk and SkyLark and get huge discounts on spares.

SkyLark hovers fine, flies around like a charm, and especially for someone that has never flown a heli before I got an excellent deal.

Anthony
Old 07-18-2003, 01:38 PM
Wireless

Default Skylark on Ebay

Hi Anthony,

I wouldn't disagree that it's good value for a beginner, but I would say don't expect to fly two to three charges a day and expect the main motor or tail motor to last because they don't. My estimate is you'll get anywhere from 15-50 charges from each. Which may be a week or three months flying. I like to fly every day at least two charges and it just cannot hack it. Having said this, I'm not suggesting that the motors in the Hummingbirds and Piccolos are much better - they aren't BUT the BIG difference is that the electronics in the latter two allow for upgrade potential to a reliable G-310 or Graupner Speed 300 motor and High-Authority tail rotor. The electronics on the Aero Hawk will not. (See my separate post about melting my Aero Hawk ESC after a minute or so of flight here : http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...58&forumid=185 ).

Not only will an Aero Hawk with stock power and electronics not fly on anything but the poor quality stock motor, but it destroys them at a rate of knots. I now run a high-authority Piccolo tail rotor, and it's fine for now (don't know how long it will last tho'), but I can't fly for more than 1-2 minutes with a standard 4-7 cell 280, G-295 or G-310 all of which will happily operate in a Piccolo. I run both the stock 750mAh 5/4AAA NiMH or a high quality Sanyo 730mAh AAA NiMH (both 8.4v) and it won't fly with either. Charger is a good quality varipulse peak detect specifically for small capacity NiMHs.

The fundamental airframe of the Aero Hawk is just fine, it's incredibly tough but the dual ESC/mixer board is at it's limits with the stock motors. Go to a more reliable motor (G-295 or G-310) and it doesn't fly (possibly due to low frequency ESC and hence inefficiency). Go for a pokey Speed 300 and it burns up.

The weak point is the motors. If they didn't burn up so easily there'd be no need for better electronics for more reliable motors, having said that there is an argument that the crappy low Hz ESCs are to blame for the motors going pop in the first place...

I have had my Aero Hawk for just over 2 months and have spent £150 (US$235) on parts to keep it flying. None of that cost was to replace parts from crashes - it's so tough I haven't needed any - it's all motors and pinions...! Take this into account and the total cost of my two months ownership now stands at over $475 including the heli which would see me a nice Piccolo 2in1 setup.

I'm lucky in that my heli has a separate GWS pico Rx. My colleagues FEDA Dragonfly has had similar issues and the Rx is all in one on that, plus it uses a PCM Tx, so he'll have to replace the whole shebang to go separates (which we're both going to do) at least I only need 2xESC and a HH gyro...!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.