Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Helicopters > Electric RC Helis
Reload this Page >

What should I buy first controller,heli or combo

Community
Search
Notices
Electric RC Helis Discuss electric rc heli's such as the Piccolo, Logo 10, Logo 20, Hornet, Eco.

What should I buy first controller,heli or combo

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 02:54 AM
videorov
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What should I buy first controller,heli or combo

Im getting back into RC stuff and will fly some electric planes and Helis. Ive been out for years and wonder which way to go.
I want to have a controller I can use for a long time flying both planes and Helis. I see there are combos for RTF planes and Helis electric.
If I buy my own controller can I buy RTF planes and Helis that will work with it? I see there are 2.4ghz units out. Im thinking that might be the
way to go and will hold me for a long time what ever I fly. I want the controller to have all the controls I can get with it bells.
I want to make sure to get the right one. What seems to be the best one most are using and you can get it serviced if needed? I use to use Futaba, I don't
know whats the best out there now? What should I buy?
Im going to get into sailplanes aswell. I'll buy a few of each once I get going again. I hope to have my own air field out in Idaho in the future on a large chunk of land.
So whats the best way to go? Buy a controller first and go from there. Are the combo radios any good they are selling in those RTF kits?
Im pretty much going to be flying electric right now but might fly glow way in the future.

Hope you guys can help.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:02 AM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: What should I buy first controller,heli or combo

You can never go wrong with getting a good radio. It will be with you for a long time. I, myself like Airtronics. You will hear Futaba, Jr, DX6 orDX7. You can get a Airtronics RDS 8000 2.4G transmitter, Rx, and nicds for $230.00. It does planes, helicopters and sail planes. Most newer radios have the programming in them to do almost anything you will want.

I say get radio gear first, it will go into almost anything.

Dru.

P.S. Most of the combo packages do not come with a good radio. There are a few out there that do.
Old 06-19-2008, 09:37 AM
Druss

I'd suggest that you spend as much as you can afford and get the best radio possible... You never know what you'll need in the future.

A higher end radio gives you more programming options not just more channels, I know guys with the JR 12X that only use 7ch receivers.

For 6ch = Spektrum DX6i
7ch = Futaba 7C FASST or Spektrum DX7
8ch = RDS8000
9ch = JR X9303
10ch = Futaba 10C
12ch = JR 12X
Old 06-19-2008, 12:00 PM
videorov

Thanks guys. Looks like the radio is going to be the first major purchase. Then will looks for a good eletric Heli and medium size plane to use with
it. I notice most fo the RTF helis and RTF planes come with a radio control. Do they have the same plane without the radio if I want to use my own?
Should be cheaper if Im not buying the radio in the kit. I guess I can put the radio on diffrent freq,s to use with the ose diffrent kit?
I see there are a few 2.4ghz helis. I would like to get a med size electric not to small.
Old 06-19-2008, 12:07 PM
Druss

Not all of the 2.4ghz recievers and transmitter are compatible, just like you can't use a positive shift tx w/ a negative shift rx, you can't use a futaba fasst receiver with a spektrum transmitter.

My suggestion is that getting an RTF may not be the best route, most RTF also have a kit version.

If you can afford it, one of the nicer kits, and larger, for less is the Gaui Hurricane EP550. The 550 swings 500-550mm blades and is 3 feet long, nose to tail. Very stable and only $320 for the kit w/ motor and esc. Buy some servos and a gyro, set up with your radio and you're good to go. The advantage of the 550 is that it uses 2 3S batteries in series instead of a single 6S battery.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:25 PM
videorov

That sounds like a good way to go. I use to build all my planes in the old day from kits. Cover the wings and all that stuff. So building some of it up is fine.
I will have to check out the Gaui Hurricane EP550. What is the diffrence in the ones with belt drive etc on some?
Thanks I will check this one out. Thats not a bad price. I will see what battery it comes with. I notice some guys are using highend batteries I would like to
use that aswell.
Old 06-19-2008, 05:41 PM
Druss

There are really 3 ways to drive the tail: motor, which you usually only find on cheaper RTF 300 size electrics; belt which most helis 450 size and up have; torque tube, which some higher end helis have.

Motors on the tail just plain suck, the belt is the most popular and easiest to maintain, torque tubes are best for autos and instant response but are more prone to damage in a crash.
Old 06-20-2008, 09:57 PM
videorov

Ive been looking at some radio controllers since that is what Im going to buy first. I looked at some JR radio look nice cost a bit but maybe thats what they are running nowadays since Ive been out. I did read a review about the new Airtronics RDS-8000 FHSS and looks like alot of radio for the money. The mentioned something about rudder controls extras that should have been on it. The rest of the review was good for it.
I use to use Futaba I looks at a fw of those.
What are most people using in the 2.4 ghz world? How many channels do I need for Heli control and not have to worry about having to upgrade in the future.
I want to cover all my needs to come in the future for Helis,Planes, sailplnes etc all mainly electric. Im not sure I will ever go back into gas but who knows
I want to have all my bases covered. I want to be able to get parts for the radio controller with ease.
The Jr radios looks good but they do look like they might be higher priced then the rest.
I see Futaba has FASST and Airtronics has FHSS I guess all companies have their own special things.
What stuff is a mush have on the controller I buy?????????
Old 06-20-2008, 10:18 PM
blvdbuzzard

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The RDS8000 is a whole lot of radio for the money. I like Airtronics over Futaba. Yes I have flown Futaba but have enjoyed Airtronics way more. I have a RD6000 with over 600 hours on it and it is still going strong. I know my RDS8000 will preform just as well. I have flown nitro helicopters with 6 channels. Bit 8 seems to be the minimum with governors, and mixture controls.

Dru.
Old 06-20-2008, 10:55 PM
videorov

The Airtronics review said There were several small items that I felt could have been done better on the RDS 8000. Namely improving the 3-charcter display for naming models, changing the Trainer button to a switch, adding rudder and expo control to the rudder channel, and putting a larger battery in the transmitter.
Other then those the guy like it alot. The review is at http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=995

Some said they wonder why they did not put that on the unit?
But no expo or DR on the rudder for planes? What were they thinking? That is a basic programming feature.
Thats what some guys that saw the review article said.
The price on the JR X9303 looks to be not to bad.

Old 06-20-2008, 11:50 PM
Druss

I've had the futaba 9CHP, Spektrum DX7 and now the JR 12X. I know guys with the JR X9303 that are very happy with them.

I find that 9ch is the most that anyone not flying scale will need.... unfortunately, my ultimate goal is flying scale so I just went with the 12X, between the wheel retracts, lights, more lights, gun ports... etc.

I think that in the 8ch to 10ch range you have the choice of the RDS8000, X9303 and 10C FASST. If you think 7ch is all you'll ever use then the Spektrum DX7 is a nice choice and there are a lot of used but very good condition ones with so many ppl upgrading to the X9303 or 12X.

When buying a radio keep an eye on the cost of receivers so that you know how much the total system cost for all your helis/planes is.
Old 06-21-2008, 12:38 AM
videorov

After reading a number of reviews of the 12X I think I will just bite the bullet and get it. Im sure things will be revolving around
it in the JR radio world. I will be able to take advantage of all new features they come up with for it.

Where is the best place to find a good price on it?
Old 06-21-2008, 01:18 AM
Druss

Just as an FYI, the X9393 name is not used, it's really X93032.4

http://www.jrradios.com/Products/Radios-Air.aspx

I'd very much suggest that you go 2.4ghz, everytime I've mentioned the X9303 I've meant the 2.4ghz version not the 72mhz.